Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
just bought a nearly new van which when we viewed did not have a pipe to connect the gas bottle to the on board pressure reducer. Salesman said that it would be sorted. On collection day we had a very thorough demo nearly 45 minutes, at the conclusion of which the demonstrator removed gas bottle complete with pipe. I protested but was firmly pointed in the direction of the shop where I was supplied at my cost a pipe and bottle adaptor. Guess what when we got home it did not fit(propane not butane) my gripe, Mr Meldrew step aside, 1.I am paying nearly 11 grand for a caravan that does not have a gas pipe fitted, why did they not fit one and charge an extra £20 in the window price 2. why are unqualified people encouraged to fit gas pipes, if a slight leak occurred we would be sleeping in a time bomb. I would not be allowed to fit pipes at home unless I was corgi registered. 3. where is the sense in fitting a pressure regulator to the van and have a rubber pipe flopping around with gas at full pressure from the bottle. This is not the first time I have experienced this type of thing. The last van I had was suppled with out a gas regulator, when I protested the salesman opened the nearest van cut off the regulator and ponked it in my hand. I am running out of dealers in my area or are they all the same. AAAH thats better I might get some sleep tonight. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

I totaly agree that the dealer should not charge extra for the high pressure hose as it should be in with the price of the caravan but the hose would not be attached to the vehicle untill you have stated which gas you would be using which you obviously didn't or else the dealer would have supplied you with a hose with propane fitting. The new bulk head mounted regulator system is so that you can choose which gas you prefer or alternativly when abroad you can use a hose to suit German, Italian or French conection without needing a corgi registered engineer to change your regulator each time you wish to do so. As you state that you are unqulified to change the hose, what is the difference between the pressure of the gas at the end of the hose or straight from the bottle because presumably you change your own gas bottle?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

I totaly agree that the dealer should not charge extra for the high pressure hose as it should be in with the price of the caravan but the hose would not be attached to the vehicle untill you have stated which gas you would be using which you obviously didn't or else the dealer would have supplied you with a hose with propane fitting. The new bulk head mounted regulator system is so that you can choose which gas you prefer or alternativly when abroad you can use a hose to suit German, Italian or French conection without needing a corgi registered engineer to change your regulator each time you wish to do so. As you state that you are unqulified to change the hose, what is the difference between the pressure of the gas at the end of the hose or straight from the bottle because presumably you change your own gas bottle?
Hell Ray and Ian, Just to clear up a point of law. The gas regulations (unless they have been recently amended) are actually specifically excluded touring caravans from their scope, so legally you do not need to be Corgi registered to work on a touring caravan supplied with gas from bottles. This in my opinion is a silly exclusion, as unlike most other gas installations touring caravans are subject to more stress and stain from travelling. Despite the law not requiring a corgi fitter, your insurance company might refuse to pay out on a claim if any gas work has not been carried out by a qualified fitter.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
thanks for comments. I do not wish to name dealer yet as I have a three year guarantee with them. I did tell them I wanted butane fittings I waited 30 mins for a so called expert to give me the wrong parts, he actually gave me a propnae pipe with a butane connector. I thought the change to on board regulators had a european connection (no pun intended) I still cannot see that a flexible rubber pipe with gas at full pressure flopping aound the locker with other items being very safe I bet it will require replacing regularily on service. I did have words when I returned the next day with the van to rectify an unconnected fault I was pointed towards the shop I had to refuse to go and threatened to leave the fittings on the car park. When I collected the van the correct pipe was chucked inside. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks for comments. I do not wish to name dealer yet as I have a three year guarantee with them. I did tell them I wanted butane fittings I waited 30 mins for a so called expert to give me the wrong parts, he actually gave me a propnae pipe with a butane connector. I thought the change to on board regulators had a european connection (no pun intended) I still cannot see that a flexible rubber pipe with gas at full pressure flopping aound the locker with other items being very safe I bet it will require replacing regularily on service. I did have words when I returned the next day with the van to rectify an unconnected fault I was pointed towards the shop I had to refuse to go and threatened to leave the fittings on the car park. When I collected the van the correct pipe was chucked inside. Ray
There are other dealers like this, there's certainly one in the Midlands. How they keep their Bailey franchise or their Approved Caravan Workshop status, I don't know. When my Pageant went in for some warranty work on the cooker, which had to be removed, the gas union wasn't tightened afterwards resulting in a gas leak into the interior of the caravan. They refused to accept any responsibility, telling me that I'm just the sort of customer they don't want. Needless to say, I'm not one of their customers now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are other dealers like this, there's certainly one in the Midlands. How they keep their Bailey franchise or their Approved Caravan Workshop status, I don't know. When my Pageant went in for some warranty work on the cooker, which had to be removed, the gas union wasn't tightened afterwards resulting in a gas leak into the interior of the caravan. They refused to accept any responsibility, telling me that I'm just the sort of customer they don't want. Needless to say, I'm not one of their customers now.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
If you were pointed to the direction of the shop, presumably for advice from a shop assistant and not the salesman who knows what connector you need (therefore, maybe the shop assistant doesnt know which one you need), you will not get a problem sorted unless the assistant comes with you and sees what gas bottle you have got.

Best to have the salesman deal with it all the way through, for if he doesnt know what you mean, you can only conclude that when he tries to palm you off on to someone else, he doesnt know too much on the technical side.

The manager of the shop will usually always be better help on the technical things rather than the manager of the caravan sales. Do not be afraid to go above the salesman's head if you are not sure what he is saying is true.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

The pipe that you refer to is a high pressure hose that is fitted between the Gas cylinder regulator and the vans main intake, these hoses are designed to withstand a far greater pressure than that coming through the regulator this ranges from 28-30milibars. it is not nesesary to change the hose when changing from Lpg to propane only the regulator.This is quite easy to do a little drop of washing up liquidon the end of the hose then tighten with a jubile clip. The reason why there is a felxable hose is to allow for movement between van and cylinder. Most caravans come with a hose fitted all that is requiered is to connect the approprate regulator.If any dealer treated me in this way, I would have driven out and left the van where it was. My dealer could not do or give me enough, I had a new battery fitted, my alko head and tow ball where changed over at no extra cost, a two tread metal step in place of the usual one tread plastic.Fantastic.

If you still have concerns about Gas ring Calor Gas help line on 0800 626 626.

hope this helps

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suppose the thing here is where to stop. If the manufacturer supplies the pipe they will charge for it - and thety would have to supply ALL the hoss as they will not know what typ of gas o bottle you are using. To take Rays argument another step forward, why stop at the hose. You will need a gas bottle so hy doesn't the manufacturer supply that, and what about the battery oh and you are going to ant to eat so why not crockery and cutlery and yes, bedding....... For the new caravanner several dealers supply, at a cost, a starter pack with items such as this. However, what would your reaction be when you are trading in a van to having to leave items with the van and buy new items that come with the van. The 2004 changes requiring a pressure regulator to be fitted are a one off. When Ray comes to change his van in the years ahead he will simply remove the gas bottle and hose and fit it to the new van. And let's not push for GORGI registered personnel to change gas bottles - then Ray we will have something to moan about - a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

The pipe that you refer to is a high pressure hose that is fitted between the Gas cylinder regulator and the vans main intake, these hoses are designed to withstand a far greater pressure than that coming through the regulator this ranges from 28-30milibars. it is not nesesary to change the hose when changing from Lpg to propane only the regulator.This is quite easy to do a little drop of washing up liquidon the end of the hose then tighten with a jubile clip. The reason why there is a felxable hose is to allow for movement between van and cylinder. Most caravans come with a hose fitted all that is requiered is to connect the approprate regulator.If any dealer treated me in this way, I would have driven out and left the van where it was. My dealer could not do or give me enough, I had a new battery fitted, my alko head and tow ball where changed over at no extra cost, a two tread metal step in place of the usual one tread plastic.Fantastic.

If you still have concerns about Gas ring Calor Gas help line on 0800 626 626.

hope this helps

Jim
Jim, you seem to have the wrong end of the stick. There is no regulator changing to be done as the regulator is bulkhead mounted to the caravan so to use differant types of gas you must change the high pressure hose.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts