Gone and done it

May 29, 2018
Visit site
So we have finally decided to buy a caravan. And we’ve gone ahead and bought one today. Got a decent deal on a brand new one by popping round the corner to the caravan show in Cottingham which I didn’t realise was such a massive thing even though I’ve lived here for 17 years.

Anyway, long story short, one 2019 Sprite Major 6 TD heading our way soon. Super excited to get out and use it!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Congrats and welcome aboard. Once the initial terror subsides ;) you,ll wonder why you didn’t do it years ago. Nice van, the Sprite.
Mel

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Excellent well done congrats , you couldn't off chosen a better van :p nothing wrong with what you have getting as that is what we have but last year's , great van great amount of space, hope you enjoy it . I hope you bartered & got all the beginners stuff as well , you should have tried getting the bike rack on the back like what we did ! At least if you have any queries or problems there's a few of us on here with the same kind .
Enjoy .

Craig .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
And can I also just say if this is your first time at towing that I suggest as others may do the same that you look at getting a motor mover fitted as I have experienced with this caravan that it is very heavy to push & manouver without one . Well worth their money, a bit expensive but well worth it .
What tow car did you's eventually decide on ? I've looked back through recent posts but I must have missed it !
Good luck.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Ste6t9

I hope you have many happy times with your new caravan.

Enjoy, and let us know how your initial outings go.

Anseo

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks. We have stuck with our trusty Sportage for now, maybe upgrading that in a year or so. The deal we have got comes with a motor mover fitted so that’s great.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Ok then guys. We’re taking delivery in about a month I reckon. So here goes. It’s a brand new caravan so what I’m looking for is a comprehensive list of what I need to get started in the half term for a weekend away.

I’m thinking about obvious stuff (total novice) so fire away.....

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Assuming you've got a battery thrown in,you'll need-Aqua roll,waste master,25m orange hook up cable,plates(melamine),cups etc..,cutlery,some waste pipe to go from van into a "y" piece and a bit of pipe to waste master.A pan set .Gas bottle. Bottle opener(not for gas bottle but wine).bedding.Some loo cassette fluid,some flush fluid.
Go on web and download the owners manual to your phone,it's easier than carrying the paper manual around.
Also a small spirit level,or download one to phone.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Big feet pads that go on wind down steady legs,some blocks of wood or plastic blocks to go under said feet if not on a level site.
Watering can to fill all loo fluids.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi ste , your getting the same as what we have , ditch the table that comes with the van ( the 2 tables we have are good enough ) it'll be in your cupboard along with the spare cushions and the boards that will make up the 2 bunks that you will not be using as this will give you more space and get rid off dead weight ( all ours in loft ). Your front locker can house 2 gas bottles , one main , one smaller BBQ bottle . My wife made a kinda curtain for the bottom bunk to give daughter a bit privacy ,

I'd also get an extension as I have found that if you want the kids to watch a telly at the back you will need an extension for the TV as the socket is beside bunk in unit , we run a cable to the table along with I would say an extension TV cable of about 2 metres .

My aqua roll and waste fits comfortably to the left hand side in my front Locker and watering can to fill your toilet flush up , it'll take 1 full can !! And invest in the bike rack for the back !! Brill !!

Hope this helps .
Craig .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Dont foget, gas bottle spanner, jug or funnel to fill the cassette flush, wire wool scrub for the towball, hitchlock, wheel lock or both. Kettle, low wattage or gas. If you are planning on using the sites showers, i would recommend flip flops all round, and a wash bag apiece. A torch is always a good idea in case the leccy trips in the middle of the night, and I would recommend most highly the LED Lenser P7. If using an awning dont forget a good hammer and peg puller. Buy pegs as appropriate to the site you are on, i.e. plastic is good for grass and holds very well, rock pegs for most hardstandings. If you have wire pegs, chuck em away.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We all forgot,a step.We bought a single step and it was fine,until we went to a site where the ground was a little lower on awning side,then it becomes a long drop to step.Buy a double step,much more versatile.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Think by now ste you'll be pulling your hair out !!! I'm bald !! Once you get the first outing going you'll (or wife ) will start to realise what your missing and needing ! (we got our plates from IKEA ) light weight but hard enough to eat off . Sometimes if we do CL sites we take a pack off paper plates so just to chuck'm and save washing up a bit !

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks so much for all this - Most helpful.
Next question, what about bedding, obviously it comes with mattresses but what do you all find is the best and simplest solution for all that.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Bedding , on the pull-out bed which the adults use at the front we have an approximately 4 inch matress topper so its nice & cosy :blush: .
Don't use one for the bunks as the kids don't complain and they are quite comfy anyway !
In the summer we use a thin kind of two single duvets which will cover both of us on the double bed nobother . We use single in case we cant be bothered to make the bed up and just go on the front seats as they are long enough . You'll be surprised how warm it can get in a caravan in the summer and in the winter we change the thin ones to a slightly thicker kind .
Are you getting there or is your head done in yet :p :silly:

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Thanks so much for all this - Most helpful.
Next question, what about bedding, obviously it comes with mattresses but what do you all find is the best and simplest solution for all that.

Slightly different as we have a fixed island bed, but I splashed out on some Duvalay shaped mattress protectors for the 2-piece Duvalay mattress. We then use a double mattress topper (not shaped) we already had (From Dunelm) and then put domestic double-bed sheets over the top. We had been using our king-sized spare duvet but this was too big. Just bought a double duvet in the M&S sale and will use old double duvet cover. We used to use a sleeping bag in our old caravan, but its much more comfortable with regular domestic bedding.

To add to Thingy's post, regarding Gas Spanner: our van came with a gas pig-tail with a handwheel... so no spanner is required to screw onto gas bottle. I also favour Crocs over flip flops (no laughing please) for both around the van and trips to the shower block. They do not absorb water and are easy to slip on and off so wear them in the shower.

And Brasso530: +1 for a double step... much easier.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Another thing... Before you get carried away with loading the van, weigh everything you put into it. Keep a list (or spreadsheet) of your kit and add up the weight against your payload allowance.

MiRO usually contains the caravan from the manufacturer + a Gas Bottle (it should be detailed in your hand book) but will not include the leisure battery or the motor mover despite being fixed. You will need to include these as payload (e.g 35KG for the mover) but anything you remove from the caravan will give you more payload such as taking out the free standing table or an unused bunk.

I have weight every thing that lives in my van and even weighed the manuals and scatter cushions we added! You'll be surprised how quickly you get near your MTPLM with surprisingly little on board. Another confusing aspect is the "Options" allowance, 45kg listed in my Sprite manual, this is quite vague in said manual, but I believe this relates the the 'Diamond pack' and Sunroof options for Sprites, so also robs some payload.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Back to the flip flops, i meant rubber ones for the same reason as the crocs, but you dont look as if you are wearing the caravanners uniform.
We have some rather posh and expensive ones, Felipe Fallops.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
This has got me trying to remember how many awnings we have had. I can certainly recall four Isabellas inc current, three Dorema, two good one bad, two Bradcot and two Kampa air awnings. When you price that lot up its somewhere in the region of £14k.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:
Back to the flip flops, i meant rubber ones for the same reason as the crocs, but you dont look as if you are wearing the caravanners uniform.

"Caravanners uniform" :p

It does feel like that and I keep them in the caravan! But I hate wearing flip flops! Have some for the pool or whatever, but I fall over them and then can't get them on with a wet foot.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Thingy said:

"Caravanners uniform" :p

It does feel like that and I keep them in the caravan! But I hate wearing flip flops! Have some for the pool or whatever, but I fall over them and then can't get them on with a wet foot.

Mustn’t forget the Onesie for morning ablutions in the site facilities :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts