Hello and Help!

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I have just bought a Peugot Boxer 270 TD SWB 2001 and totally don't have a clue about the first thing about motorhomes! I bought it from a dealer who had taken it part exchange and it's great to drive etc but the instructions seem to assume some knowledge of what they are talking about! Gas, electrics, water, toilet and boiler etc etc.....HELP? Does anyone have some top tips or some advice for dummies as to what to do first....or is there a good book or web site that could help me? I'm not stupid but I want to learn everything so I can use it, just me and my dog!
Thank you, Carolyn

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Carolyn and a warm welcome to the Practical Motorhome forum. Lots of very experienced motorcaravanners are active forum users, so I am sure someone will reply soon who can help. The very best of luck with it all!

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Carolyn - Welcome to the forum & Motorcaravanning. Don't worry we all had to learn sometime.
It would help if you can give the "convertors name" or "model identification". Is there any graphics showing this on the external of the van. Habitation systems (Fridge, Heaters, Water heating, Water Pumps, etc..) tend to be common amongst several converters, So failing "converter & model" It would be helpful if you can find names of the Equipment manufacturer. You will be looking for names like, Eletrolux, Dometic, Truma, Carver, amongst others. Then the operating instructions can often be found on the equipment manufacturer's websites. Or forum members may be able to help.
A good book for general information is John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" which should be available at your local Halford's store or Amazon for on-line. If Amazon have the 1st edition available it would be more relevant to your Motorhome. (the 2nd edition will still be helpful if not)

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Flicka! Not sure what is meant by converter's name/model identification?
The Toilet is a Thetford Casette
There is a Truman "Trumatic" Gas heater
A Truma Storage water heater/boiler
An Electrolux fridge
A gas gooker
Space for 2 gas cylinders (LPG)
Water inlet
Electric outlet etc etc.
My questions are pretty basic though (I'm sure I'll work out the applicances)!
1. If I'm just stopping overnight and I have to use the battery. How does it charge itself or do I have to charge it?
2. What do I switch on first, gas or electricity? There seem to be sooo many switches in there though!
3. If I don't use the cooker or heater, do I still need the gas, i.e for heating the water?
4. Am I likely to need an extension lead for the electrical hook up or is there space for manouvre on sites?
5. Do I just fill the water tank up with a hose and how do I know when it's full enough?
6. I assume I have to put a chemical in the toilet cassette and how do I empty it exactly? There are some intersting graphics on the instructions but can't make head nor tail of them! Some general advice re the toilet would be helpful.
I have ordered the manual you mentioned!
Sorry to seem such a dunce, you wouldn't believe I have two degrees but this is completely new to me! Any help gratefully received!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Carolyn, and welcome. There are no stupid questions, only ones you haven't got the answer to yet. So let's start at the beginning of yours.
The "convertor" is the firm who originally transformed your vehicle from a basic Peugeot van into a camper or motorhome. Some of the more common ones, which have been around for years, are Autosleepers, Autotrail, and Elddis, but there are lots more, large and small. And each convertor (rather like car makers) builds a number of different models, which they change every few years. John ("Flicka") asked about that, because if it's one of the more common ones there are probably people on here with exactly the same model.
1. The "leisure" battery (the one which powers your internal stuff, not the one that starts the engine) will be kept charged while you're driving, so it should be fine for the odd night or two. If you plug in to a mains hook-up, that will keep it charged as well.
2. The 12v electricity supply switch (probably marked "Car/Off/Caravan") can be left at "Caravan" all the time, it will do no harm at all. The gas should be turned off at source before you start the engine to move off (a knob on the regulator, either on top of the cyllinder or on the wall of the locker housing it).
3. Some water heaters can work on mains when you have a hook-up, pretty well all of them will work on gas. The only electricity you've got if you're NOT on hook-up is 12v, which no heater can use.
4. To use the mains hook-up on a site, you'll need a mains cable. In this country, that's usually orange, with a round blue plug on each end. The shortest you're likely to get would probably be 10m, which is plenty long enough on most UK sites.
5. Most people prefer to buy a "food grade" hose, which will be blue, but I know lots of people who use ordinary garden hoses, and I don't know any who've died from doing so. When the tank is full, it overflows - either from the filler, or from overflow pipes underneath, or both.
6. The chemical for the loo comes in either liquid or plastic-sachet form. There will be a hatch somewhere to let you withdraw the cassette (you may need to life a small catch under the cassette itself before you can slide it out). Once out, you'll see a spout on top of the cassette which will swivel, usually with a yellow screw cap on the end. That's where the nasty stuff comes out, into the place designated for it.
Everything I've mentioned can be bought from the accessory counter at almost any caravan or motorhome supplier. Most of them can also fix you up with gas cylinders (usually Calor in the UK).
Oh, and your fridge willl probably be designed to run on 12v while you're driving, mains when you're on a hook-up, or gas otherwise.
Hope that helps so far - feel free to fire some more at us!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Pilote is a well respected French brand, still going strong (although possibly owned by one of the big European groups these days).
Both they, and the makers of your various appliances, will have websites, and some may have instruction manuals online you can download.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have Gas cylinders already it will depend on your intended travels. Calor is by far the most available in the UK but not available across the channel. Calor have "blue" cylinders which are Butane & "red" which are propane. Propane (Red) are your best option as it will still "gas" at low temperatures, but Butane (blue) will not so you will encounter difficulties with cooker, water heater & fridge . There is very little cost difference. The Calor Propane are available as "standard" cylinders or "lightweight" & IMHO the lightweight would be better for you, even though there is a small cost increase.
The usual set-up is to have 2 cylinders (x 6kg) so when 1 runs out you still have gas available. However if you intend a lot of continental touring you may wish to get your 2nd cylinder for that country. The alternative is to have a fixed refillable Gas tank, Similar to car conversion to LPG, but on a smaller scale, but that involves much more additional cost, although the Gas is much cheaper.
If you are considering the fixed Gas Tank can I suggest you submit as a separate thread in theTechnical section of the forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts