help! I don't sleep well!

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi all I'm a newbie to this forum never had to post always find the answers I want but can't seem to find anything for my issues. We have had a tourer for 3 years and we hav about 5 trips a year we enjoy caravanning and don't want to give up but I can never have a decent nice sleep in our van. For 3 years we have tried changing bedding, positions etc but I seem to develop insomnia!!! Its either too hot too cold but I wake up at four and can't return to sleep by night four of a holiday imso wired and exhausted we usually end up going home. We have a 4 yeaz old and 7 year old so Im a busy Mum and really need to be alert! But I'm so exhausted andi just end up wanting to go home to get to our bed!!!! We currently stopped pulling out double bed as the cushions were bothering me so we sleep on singles and its much comfier. I use cotton sheets and lightweight sleeping bags so now I not overheating. So temperature and comfort have been eliminated. I still wake up early can't get back and the. Guess what? 9pm I'm knackered! I've stopped overeating and too much drinking to avoid indigestion anddehydration waking me up. Still doesn't work.....in fact I would say whenever we make a change it improves my comfort levels only. We think it might be I'm slightly claustrophobic and being in the dark in a confined space affects me. Hubby thinks this will improve when we upgrade to a newer van with a lighter decor (currently 1997 mid brown wood and velor curtains) I'm not sure if I want to invest in this lifestyle anymore if I can't function cos I'm so ill with lack of sleep. is it me?am I just not cut out for this or is there hope on the horizon we love travelling and the lifestyle but not grumpy tired wife/mummy and only short trips cos im a zombie. Would really appreciate people thoughts and advice on this. Thanks

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Mrsamg. .

Imo
three factors make for a real good night's sleep.

1. Plenty of ventilation.
Try and leave a skylight at least partially open.
Leave some of the main windows in their partially locked position.

2. A good quality 4" feather down over mattress or memory foam version that you lie on.

3. A light weight duvet or sleeping bag.. Too many people incorrectly think caravanner requires the heaviest duvets going.

Best wishes for a good lie in.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You could keep a not particularly interesting book to read, a really good story is no good because you wouldn't want to put it down :cheer:
Try to find a book that's interesting enough to read but not too absorbing, and it might distract you from whatever it is that keeps you awake.
It works for me if I can't sleep at home, I have no trouble in the caravan but we also leave a couple of windows on night latch as Dustydog suggests.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I agree with DD on the ventilation. Also a good mattress topper. You might want to try powering through on the grounds that if you enough nights in the van you may adjust and sleep through. Send Hubby out to amuse the kids in the day.

Also (I'm sure you have thought of this) no coffee or caffiene in the evening. Also (again you will thought of this) go for a we when you wake at 4.00. change of routine messes with the bladder.

I am awake half the night doing the duvet okey-cokey because of the hot flushes but then I am a LOACA (lady of of a certain age)
good luck
mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
I agree with DD on the ventilation. Also a good mattress topper. You might want to try powering through on the grounds that if you enough nights in the van you may adjust and sleep through. Send Hubby out to amuse the kids in the day.

Also (I'm sure you have thought of this) no coffee or caffiene in the evening. Also (again you will thought of this) go for a we when you wake at 4.00. change of routine messes with the bladder.

I am awake half the night doing the duvet okey-cokey because of the hot flushes but then I am a LOACA (lady of of a certain age)
good luck
mel

OH is just the same I woke up one night last week and she was hanging out the bedroom window breathing in fresh air, watching the rabbits in the field. I thought she was a snake trying to slither out the van :lol:
She did get to sleep after that.
(It's ok I have asked her permission to write this) ;)

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
We have a fan that helps keep the OH cool,...... whilst i turn up my electric blanket to keep warm ... :eek:hmy:

We also carry ear plugs in case it rains .....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A small LED light to prevent total darkness in the van may help.

Some form of gentle sound to mask all the other unfamiliar sounds - a fan may do this

Ear buds or an under pillow mini speaker connected to ipod or mp3 player with your choice of soothing music, white noise, sea on shore sounds ?

Occasional very low dose - not more than 5mg - of melatonin, but don't make a habit of it. Obtainable from health food shops - I use it if I have a bad attack of tinnitus and find it very helpful.

Pitch away from likely sources of noise if possible - road carrying late night or early morning traffic, etc.

Easy to say, but try to plan such that the last hour before bed is not demanding but relaxing - as others have said, a good read, or some music.

Your difficulty is not unusual - I know many people who cannot sleep well in a different bed for the first two or three nights. In my working life I travelled widely and quite ofter slept in 4 different beds and places each week. Perhaps this got me used to the idea, so I don't usually have trouble these days apart from the elderly male need to get up occaisionally.

If cold, consider an electric underblanket which enables you to stay warm without a vast weight of bedding on top of you. We use this for our winter travels and find getting into a warm bed after a few hundred miles driving very relaxing indeed.

Sleep well !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts