Hitch creaking abroad

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Apologies if there is already a thread for this. I am new to the site and perhaps someone can point me in the right direction if there is.
I am currently in Austria having towed from Aberdeen everything was going well until we reached Germany and the hitch started creaking extremely loudly. I removed the side pads which were glazed and followed some online instructions to remove the glazing with wet and dry and brake cleaner. Everything was fine for the first couple of hours but when we arrived in Austria it was worse than before. I contacted my local dealer for advice as the caravan was serviced at the end of March but they have not responded. Has anyone any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Is there any contamination on the towball?
Rust, paint or road grime can cause contamination which will cause creaking.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Sadly creaking is very common, it's nothing to worry about, just B annoying!
Try using something a little more aggressive than wet and dry, and don't forget tjere are front and rear pads as well as the ones in the side :giggle:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
After having the "Bellowing Elephant" behind us, I also removed the side pads and cleaned them up, only to return a few tows later, I eventually bought new pads.

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Apologies if there is already a thread for this. I am new to the site and perhaps someone can point me in the right direction if there is.
I am currently in Austria having towed from Aberdeen everything was going well until we reached Germany and the hitch started creaking extremely loudly. I removed the side pads which were glazed and followed some online instructions to remove the glazing with wet and dry and brake cleaner. Everything was fine for the first couple of hours but when we arrived in Austria it was worse than before. I contacted my local dealer for advice as the caravan was serviced at the end of March but they have not responded. Has anyone any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Is there any contamination on the towball?
Rust, paint or road grime can cause contamination which will cause creaking.
I've cleaned down everything. My concern was with the level of creaking as I have not experienced it like that before but the replies suggest it is just annoying rather than anything else which is reassuring.

TRENDING THREADS