Honda CRV as a towcar

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Terrence, i,ve got a petrol (52 plate) crv and to be honest i am not all that impressed. I bought the car before i had any intention of buying a caravan, or i would have definatley gone for the diesel. I could,nt give you an exact mpg whilst towing, but i drove 550 miles after buying the caravan, and it was pretty thirsty. Depending on which model you go for, the nose weight varies (60kg for up to 2002) to 100 kg for models thereafter. I,ve got a 5 berth Swift Allouette which is a fairly big van, and you can feel it. Basicly i think its a bit "soft". If i could turn back the clock i,d go for a diesel X-trail or a Volvo V70. In saying all that, the car driven solo is very good indeed, and they are ultra reliable. If you are buying new, you could ask about the nose weight, perhaps its been uprated since 2002. Good luck, Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Terence

I have an Avondale Dart 556 (1300kg max weight) which I pull with a 2005 diesel CRV. I went to Germany at Whit with the van and the trip computer said 28.5 mpg. This was largely on motorways travelling between 55 and 60 mph. I would recommend the diesel - it tows superb at 60mph in 6th gear. As Gavin said they are very reliable and the noseweight on this model is 100kg.

Regards Cliff

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Terrance - I tow a Swift Charisma with a Deisel CRV and find it superb. I get 32mpg whilst towing and 42+ without the van. Have yet to try it on a motorway.

Rod

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Terence, I had a 2002 petrol CRV which I thought was a competent towcar but I now have a 2005 diesel which, in my opinion, is very good.

With the petrol I was getting mid 30's solo and mid 20's towing. with the diesel I get 40+ solo and low 30's towing. When towing in France with 3 bikes on the roof I got mid 20's.

The diesel has now done 12,000 and everything works with no problems. I did over 60,000 in the petrol and it never required any repairs at all. The tyres lasted 35,000 miles and the clutch was still going strong when I replaced it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a friend who has one(55 diesel) everything you could wish for BUT spare wheel causes a lot of problems with the Alko hitch,fouling and generally making it awkward to hitch up and also unhitch even with extension blocks on tow bar. There are loads of 4x4 without spare wheels hanging on the back door,why dont you make life a bit easier and go for one of them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hitching up with an Alko 3004 stabaliser is a minor problem, with a Winterhoff there is no problem.

All I have done with the 3004 is remove the handle. Together with that and removing the spare wheel cover there is no problem hitching up. I just use the handle to push and remove the stabaliser armes from their locked position.

Hard to condem a car when the problem is the design of the stabaliser. Winterhoff got it right first time - Alko just think they can.

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
Hitching up with an Alko 3004 stabaliser is a minor problem, with a Winterhoff there is no problem.

All I have done with the 3004 is remove the handle. Together with that and removing the spare wheel cover there is no problem hitching up. I just use the handle to push and remove the stabaliser armes from their locked position.

Hard to condem a car when the problem is the design of the stabaliser. Winterhoff got it right first time - Alko just think they can.
Regarding hitching with an ALCO fitted I have no problem at all. My CRV is fitted with the Honda remouvable tow bar that gives ample clearence. Having the spare on the back leaves more room inside the CRV.

Rod

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regarding hitching with an ALCO fitted I have no problem at all. My CRV is fitted with the Honda remouvable tow bar that gives ample clearence. Having the spare on the back leaves more room inside the CRV.

Rod
With reference to the room in the back of a CRV I've got twice as much room in my Santa Fe even with the wheel inside so that is not a sound argument.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts