How much discount for display model?

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Supposed to pick up my new Pageant Bretagne tomorrow but just discovered it has mistakenly been used as a disply model! (Not impressed that the dealer wasn't going to tell me!)

Options appear to be agree a discount or order a new one.

Dealer suggesting he can't move on the already discounted price so he'll order a new one - but he'll pay more for a new one anyway (price increase) What sort of additional discount should I expect to accept the display one?

G

I assume you have examined the caravan and are there any marks, or damage on it? Many vans, even sold vans are often opened up to allow prospective buyers to have a look. That does not mean to say the van has been wrecked in any way. The equipemnt wil not have been used and the beds will not have been slept on so really the choice is yours. If the van is in a shape where nothing untoward can be detected, I would be inclined to take it. You have a standard Warranty anyway. Getting a new van from the manufacturer, will no doubt involve a time delay, and are you prepared to accept that? You also state the price is already discounted so if you insist on a new van, will you get the same price?

Possibly try offering a deal where an awning for example is donated to you, or even the 1st service charge. Otherwise, you may have to take it, or leave it.

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Martin,

I would wait for a new one. By the time that arrives Bailey might have been able to fit front and rear panels that don't crack. LOL.

Only joking.........very difficult choice to make . If you opt for a new van he probably wont have any problems in selling the demo van as there is an explosion of people buying.

Good luck with any decision you make

Jim

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I would agree with Ray,you have paid a deposit on a new van not an ex display which are normally alot cheaper.

Up to you really but can you trust a dealer who wasnt going to tell you a very important issue.

Me i would take my deposit back as your agreement is null and void or he gets you a new van at the same price.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I have to agree with much of the comment above.

You have paid for new goods but are being supplied second hand goods.

I think my approach would be to negotiate a substantial discount or compensation such as a free awning as suggested by Scotchlad or insist on the new model you contracted to purchase.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys

Looks like it's going to be a new one - no news on time scale as yet.

I would have accepted some form of discount, cash or goods but that has not been offered. They've said they can't reduce the price but they'll order a new one. I suspect they feel that they can get more for the van 'post price increase' than what I was paying (I wonder if they'll sell it as a display model though!)I imagine too that they'll have to pay more for the replacement so will not make anything on it.

Salesman is reporting very angry management at such a ****-up and while I'm sure it wasn't intentional I'm also sure that had I not put 2 & 2 together and challenged them when they advised of a delay due to having prepped the wrong van they would have replaced it with the display unit and said nothing.

I am disappointed they've not offered any form of recompense (their major ****-up!) but there's not much I can now do other than wait for a replacement or accept the original - something I'm not prepared to do without suitable compensation.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
As things are still 'hot off the press' so to speak I'll hold off naming them just now. (This has all come to light after my visit to the dealers after receiving their call re delay this morning)

In fairness to them nothing has been confirmed other than their telephone report that they'd prepped the wrong van (salesman spotted missing upholstery upgrade) followed by unexplained removal of display unit (with upholstery upgrade!) from the forecourt to the preparation compound. A visit to the compound confirmed the unit there to be the only one in stock and remarkably like the one I'd taken the kids around on the forecourt just 2 days earlier! (recognised tear in carpet covering and the key number sticker in the window!)

Jul 29, 2006
Visit site
As things are still 'hot off the press' so to speak I'll hold off naming them just now. (This has all come to light after my visit to the dealers after receiving their call re delay this morning)

In fairness to them nothing has been confirmed other than their telephone report that they'd prepped the wrong van (salesman spotted missing upholstery upgrade) followed by unexplained removal of display unit (with upholstery upgrade!) from the forecourt to the preparation compound. A visit to the compound confirmed the unit there to be the only one in stock and remarkably like the one I'd taken the kids around on the forecourt just 2 days earlier! (recognised tear in carpet covering and the key number sticker in the window!)
hi martin i was wondering if the dealer is from flintshire,the way i see it is you have worked damn hard for the money that your paying,demand a brand new one.that was the deal.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
hi martin i was wondering if the dealer is from flintshire,the way i see it is you have worked damn hard for the money that your paying,demand a brand new one.that was the deal.
Hi John

Not from Flintshire.

Doesn't seem as if there'll be a problem getting a new one - I just have to suffer the delay - not a problem as long as it doesn't drag on for more than a couple of weeks.

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
discounts on ex-demo caravan varies from dealer to dealer and depends on the length of time it has been a demonstrator. if a van had been on show a couple of months you could expect a figure of

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Some development today - decided to go right to the top this morning - bypassed the dealer and called 'National HQ, Discover Group'.

Very friendly and helpful Customer Services Manager listened to my story, then AGREED with my suspicions that it appeared that someone at the dealer had attempted to cover up a mistake instead of coming clean. He immediately called the sales manager at the dealer in question (Delamere) and was back on to me WITHIN THE HOUR to confirm that yes, a mistake had been made, my van had been used for display (duration unknown - maybe only a week) and that the dealer was prepared to order a replacement van, (likely delivery May) or reduce the cost of the existing unit by

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Some development today - decided to go right to the top this morning - bypassed the dealer and called 'National HQ, Discover Group'.

Very friendly and helpful Customer Services Manager listened to my story, then AGREED with my suspicions that it appeared that someone at the dealer had attempted to cover up a mistake instead of coming clean. He immediately called the sales manager at the dealer in question (Delamere) and was back on to me WITHIN THE HOUR to confirm that yes, a mistake had been made, my van had been used for display (duration unknown - maybe only a week) and that the dealer was prepared to order a replacement van, (likely delivery May) or reduce the cost of the existing unit by

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
good you have got what you want. just a shame the ****-up happened in the first place. but unfortunately your not the first customer or likely to be the last customer who has told me a similar story about Discover and the way they do business

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Last year when I was looking for my first 'van I tried to buy one from the Delamere dealership. I found the salesman I dealt with to be quite aloof and it put me off.

But then I went to their other site in Chorley where the salesman I dealt with (Derek, but he's left now with a bad back) was helpful and friendly. I bought a Bailey Pageant provence for

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l bought my Ace Firestar from Discover leisure at Coppell back in August an ex demo got 1000k off book price but had to really haggle to get the best price for my trade in, eventually got what l wanted.

Asked for some extra's, would not even give me the gas pressure regulator which l thought would be part of the van, cost me 18 quid l think.

Mind you they did give 50 quid off the Harrington Awning at Chorley when l told them l had just purchased a new van from them, so l was happy in the end has it only cost

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Martin if you have the cris number check the 10th digit, 9 will be an 09 caravan 8,an 08.

Discover have a lot of old stock to shift at the moment,some are even 07's.

Brian

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I must say I hada very good service from Discover Choreley.

We purchased an Inaca awning off them. At the time because we wanted to cash and carry that day, we settled on a standard blue awning.

When we fitted it to our van we found that the trim stripes of the zip on panels did not line up with the same line on the main panel. I rang Discover and spoke to Derek ( the chap who has left)and he said he would open the other 975 awning in stock and look at that one, then if it was ok he would swap it. However, it was exactly the same. He then rang Inaca in spain and ordered a replacement for us. Now when the replacement came, it was also in the ill-fitting state, which was discovered at Choreley upon their inspection. Derek rang me to explain which was good of him. At this point I asked if he could order a red one for us which was a special order item as comensation for the now 8 weeks we had been waiting for, at no extra cost. He did that and more.

We eventually 3 weeks later had a red awning plus a free

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys!

Well we are now the proud owners of our very first caravan - a very busy pick-up day on Friday - culminating in the somewhat stressful pulling away from the forecourt onto the main road for the 1st time! All passed without mishap though and now planning our first trip away, probably over Easter - wherever we can get in at short notice.

As has been commented here the dealership let themselves down over the **** up regarding putting my van out for display, just disorganised I think, but they've more than made up for it with some free accessories on top of the additional

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts