smd

Mar 21, 2022
Visit site
How do you clean the roof of your caravan? Do you use any specific products or cleaning tools?

Also, how do you reach the top of your caravan? I'm not sure if this seems obvious but is it safe to stand on the roof of your caravan to clean it? It seems much easier than having to stand on a ladder.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How do you clean the roof of your caravan? Do you use any specific products or cleaning tools?

Also, how do you reach the top of your caravan? I'm not sure if this seems obvious but is it safe to stand on the roof of your caravan to clean it? It seems much easier than having to stand on a ladder.
There was a thread on this one not long ago which had lots of ( sometimes differing) advice but useful info nevertheless. Just search “ cleaning caravan roof” and you will pick up the threads.

Fir me I always used a ladder, protected the caravan side-roof area, used telescopic brush, Fenwicks toothbrush and other bits for the fiddly areas.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have a extending ladder put at the side of caravan and with a extending telescopic brush we use Fenwicks caravan cleaner on the roof and it lovely and shiny now

Reactions: GAS

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Pop open roof vent, climb up on top, scrub away with Autoglym caravan cleaner, rinse, finish with good car wax.

Actually go on the roof ?? Absolutely no chance Hoomer.
Are you not putting unnecessary pressure on seals and joints that could accelerate future water leak issues ?

GAS .... :unsure:

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Actually go on the roof ?? Absolutely no chance Hoomer.
Are you not putting unnecessary pressure on seals and joints that could accelerate future water leak issues ?

GAS .... :unsure:

If you caravan roof can't take the weight of a human shuffling about washing it, its not built very well.

C653A3B6-21EA-4E26-BD03-CC8602789738.jpeg.b4dc4f82c661dc12b9a99fe513a0713c.jpeg01E8BFDB-3B17-4151-87B0-6B7F96217BD3.jpeg.e2e345dfae33ba0b05263fe9793a0b63.jpeg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not all caravans are Bailey's and not all caravan are built the same way. It is not advisable to stand on a caravan roof, not only might it damage the roof, there is the risk of slipping and falling off, an even greater risk if you are using cleaning products.

Reactions: Baron Von Greenback

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Not all caravans are Bailey's and not all caravan are built the same way. It is not advisable to stand on a caravan roof, not only might it damage the roof, there is the risk of slipping and falling off, an even greater risk if you are using cleaning products.

See my original point, if the roofs so flimsy it won't support you, its durability will be extremely suspect.
Its a curious attitude when manufacturers offer roof racks and access ladders to models
020330653_1649208150852_e110e7.jpg

Slipping? You are no more likely to slip than when cleaning your kitchen floor but no one goes all elf 'n' safety cleaning around the house.

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
If you caravan roof can't take the weight of a human shuffling about washing it, its not built very well.

View attachment 3189View attachment 3190
Agreed and believe my caravan would probably take my taught 14 stone :) ..
Having experienced damp issues in previous vans I shall not be crawling about the roof of my "pride and joy " and stick to the step ladder and brush method but "hey hoo " those who are comfortable walking on the roof "crack on "........

GAS ....😎

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Agreed and believe my caravan would probably take my taught 14 stone :) ..
Having experienced damp issues in previous vans I shall not be crawling about the roof of my "pride and joy " and stick to the step ladder and brush method but "hey hoo " those who are comfortable walking on the roof "crack on "........

GAS ....😎

If you are worried about the roofs support simply pop down to Wickes and buy a 600x1200 piece of PIR insulation to use as a load spreader to knell on - its what the trade does..

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
If you are worried about the roofs support simply pop down to Wickes and buy a 600x1200 piece of PIR insulation to use as a load spreader to knell on - its what the trade does..

Not worried one bit Hoomer to be honest just going to stick to my cleaning method... Actually getting ready to go to the storage and give my young filly the once over .......:giggle:

GAS .... ;)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Once a year, we pick up the phone and speak to a person who washes caravans. They come around with all the correct equipment and shampoo and give it a sparkling clean and we pay them £60. We have not washed a caravan in several years.
Having said that we had our caravan treated with Paintseal so all it requires is a simple wash and no polishing. :D

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On a public forum, your advice should identify those caravans where the construction is unsuitable for much weight on the roof - a significant proportion of UK caravans in use today.

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
On a public forum, your advice should identify those caravans where the construction is unsuitable for much weight on the roof - a significant proportion of UK caravans in use today.

I don't have to advise anyone as to the flimsiness of their caravan.
If they cant work it out, perhaps they should stay away from ladders too?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would think that the majority of caravans made in the UK could have a car placed on the roof without issues as the load is spread and the actual load is on top of the walls of the caravans. Good marketing by Bailey if you believe it.

Reactions: JezzerB
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
I've just had my van professionaly cleaned by a mobile detailing and valeting service . It wa FILTHY, having been for various reasons stored under a tree for a few months. The cost (£70) was well worth it IMHO !

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Once a year, we pick up the phone and speak to a person who washes caravans. They come around with all the correct equipment and shampoo and give it a sparkling clean and we pay them £60. We have not washed a caravan in several years.
Having said that we had our caravan treated with Paintseal so all it requires is a simple wash and no polishing. :D

Washed my van yesterday for the first time since purchase giving me the opportunity to micro check and glad to say the body is absolutely minted.
Talking to a chap picking up his van and informed me that we have a resident Professional Caravan Cleaning Service on our storage site also 60 squid ... Paint seal sounds a good shout and shall inquire .....

GAS .... 😎

Reactions: Challenger
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Washed my van yesterday for the first time since purchase giving me the opportunity to micro check and glad to say the body is absolutely minted.
Talking to a chap picking up his van and informed me that we have a resident Professional Caravan Cleaning Service on our storage site also 60 squid ... Paint seal sounds a good shout and shall inquire .....

GAS .... 😎
Same price as our storage site in Malvern.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have an A frame ladder that can convert into staging and this allows me to get to the roof level, then use a long handled brush.

One problem I've just cured is the dirt in the bathroom skylight. It gets trapped between the two layers. So, I took it apart and seperated the layers and it washed easily. Only takes a couple of minutes with the right tools. Also allowed me to get to the dirt and green gunge trapped under the outside roof light cover.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have an A frame ladder that can convert into staging and this allows me to get to the roof level, then use a long handled brush.

One problem I've just cured is the dirt in the bathroom skylight. It gets trapped between the two layers. So, I took it apart and seperated the layers and it washed easily. Only takes a couple of minutes with the right tools. Also allowed me to get to the dirt and green gunge trapped under the outside roof light cover.
I had the same issue with a skylight over the rear dinette. A poor design. Mine fortunately had a crack in it which gave me an excuse to swop it for a mini Heki 400x400 unit. Fully sealed and much easier to operate as it was only hinged to the front face.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Another question, how do you do it without a hosepipe? I can no longer get my van home and I need to do it in storage. I have seen rechargeable pressure washers on sale - low pressure from a bucket, but no really good reviews. I would never stand on the roof of our Eldiss its so poorly make I would go through it.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Car wash? ;););)

More seriously, if no hosepipe then I'm afraid it's buckets of water and a soft, long handled wash brush....plus step ladders.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Another question, how do you do it without a hosepipe? I can no longer get my van home and I need to do it in storage. I have seen rechargeable pressure washers on sale - low pressure from a bucket, but no really good reviews. I would never stand on the roof of our Eldiss its so poorly make I would go through it.
I have seen these pressure washer for cleaning down items, I do clean the front of the van if after getting caught in the run to the sit,
But is it not a bit of a look how bad a run we had by leaving it dirty apart from the front window.
A good talking point, rather than meeting up as your just emptying the Woosie pot.
Why do folk do that.

" Oh yo

Last edited:
Reactions: Sohaib

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts