I know nothing...

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A seasonal pitch with either club could be an option, or with Forest Holidays Camping in the Forest. But I suspect most commencing April 2023 have gone. But worth a look and perhaps find out when the late autumn/winter ones are to be released.

Reactions: Orion
Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
A seasonal pitch with either club could be an option, or with Forest Holidays Camping in the Forest. But I suspect most commencing April 2023 have gone. But worth a look and perhaps find out when the late autumn/winter ones are to be released.
Thanks for the suggestion but April this year I don't think I'm quite that close yet. There are still so many things to figure out.
As a first step I'll go to a caravan dealer in Stroud and have a good look around.
Next I'll take a look at the allegedly 1338 all year round camping sites and see what sort of membership or not is required.
Right now there are so many things I have to learn that I won't set a time table. One of my better ideas was coming here to this forum. You're all very knowledgeable and helpful. Thank you.👍

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but April this year I don't think I'm quite that close yet. There are still so many things to figure out.
As a first step I'll go to a caravan dealer in Stroud and have a good look around.
Next I'll take a look at the allegedly 1338 all year round camping sites and see what sort of membership or not is required.
Right now there are so many things I have to learn that I won't set a time table. One of my better ideas was coming here to this forum. You're all very knowledgeable and helpful. Thank you.👍
Have a look at www.ukcampsites.co.uk and www.pitchup.com they give good search places.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have a look at www.ukcampsites.co.uk and www.pitchup.com they give good search places.
I doubt if any of those sites will show sites where you can stay permanently. Many sites that have seasonal pitches will not allow permanent use.

For obvious reasons we had to physically visit sites and present ourselves until eventually we found one that would allow us to stay 9 / 10 months of the year. It took us about 3 months to find a site.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the above 😎

I've found one site so far that claims to do all year round. I'm not going to ring or email them but will drive there myself. Probably better to do things like this in person.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Sprite Compact is a good caravan but very small. Personally I could not live in t full time but you really need to see one and make your own mind up.
I would tend to say add a towbar to your car as I suspect the cost of towing the caravan to the site you choose will be very close on cost and it gives you the opportunity to move to another site if your first choice turns out to be unsuitable or you need to take it back to the dealer for them to deal with any problem.
Another option would be to ask the dealer if they could tow it to the site as part of the deal. Some will do this but not all.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
The Sprite Compact is a good caravan but very small. Personally I could not live in t full time but you really need to see one and make your own mind up.
I would tend to say add a towbar to your car as I suspect the cost of towing the caravan to the site you choose will be very close on cost and it gives you the opportunity to move to another site if your first choice turns out to be unsuitable or you need to take it back to the dealer for them to deal with any problem.
Another option would be to ask the dealer if they could tow it to the site as part of the deal. Some will do this but not all.
About the compact, I have since changed my mind. Looking at the price I think I'll go with the full size Sprite. There isn't that much difference in costs. About the tow bar I have pretty much decided to get one. It would be quite awkward if I had to find somebody to move it just a few inches to a different pitch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you have received some sage advice from other contributors. I would like to clarify a couple of points. You asked about site fees and I would include in this the rules and rights you have to follow.

Unlike permanent dwellings there are no overarching regulations for caravan sites that control the price, security of tenure and the condition . As someone else has said the site owner rights the rule book.

Something that you should also know is that many long term sites include a maximum age for the caravan you keep on the site. So what might be fine one year, becomes a problem the next.

Good luck

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
I think you have received some sage advice from other contributors. I would like to clarify a couple of points. You asked about site fees and I would include in this the rules and rights you have to follow.

Unlike permanent dwellings there are no overarching regulations for caravan sites that control the price, security of tenure and the condition . As someone else has said the site owner rights the rule book.

Something that you should also know is that many long term sites include a maximum age for the caravan you keep on the site. So what might be fine one year, becomes a problem the next.

Good luck
Yeah, there are so many things I never knew about before. Its clear to me now that things are much more complicated than I thought. I'm not giving up yet but will try to get a little step closer every day. Overcharging would be yet another 'yes' vote for the tow bar, but I think I'm clear on this already.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I'm looking to pitch the caravan up somewhere round year and move in completely.

I've just noticed you're intending to live in your van all year round. During the colder months, you'll need to be prepared for some heavy heating bills. Without heating, your van will only be a few degrees above the outside temperature. Conversely, without adequate ventilation, you'll have a problem with condensation.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Good luck

That stipulation would only apply to statics and not a touring caravan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I doubt if any of those sites will show sites where you can stay permanently. Many sites that have seasonal pitches will not allow permanent use.

For obvious reasons we had to physically visit sites and present ourselves until eventually we found one that would allow us to stay 9 / 10 months of the year. It took us about 3 months to find a site.
Ukcampsites list 2252 sites open all year throughout the U.K..Many have seasonal pitches. I accept Orion will have to check the length of allowable tenure but at least Hutch’s suggestion gives him a steer in the right direction.😀

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
I've just noticed you're intending to live in your van all year round. During the colder months, you'll need to be prepared for some heavy heating bills. Without heating, your van will only be a few degrees above the outside temperature. Conversely, without adequate ventilation, you'll have a problem with condensation.
I have spend a fleeting thought on heating but since I don't have a problem with calor gas it should be ok. I looked at the size of gas cylinder allowed and there doesn't seem to be a limit. Its then just a matter of size since the 47kg are quite big but also cheaper than smaller ones.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have spend a fleeting thought on heating but since I don't have a problem with calor gas it should be ok. I looked at the size of gas cylinder allowed and there doesn't seem to be a limit. Its then just a matter of size since the 47kg are quite big but also cheaper than smaller ones.
Here you have to be very careful. Many sites will not allow the 47 kg for tourers simply because it is hard to secure them in the correct position amongst other things. You may be better off going down the Buckman refillable route?

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Here you have to be very careful. Many sites will not allow the 47 kg for tourers simply because it is hard to secure them in the correct position amongst other things. You may be better off going down the Buckman refillable route?
Didn't think there could be inbuilt tanks for this. Until I've figured this I'll just use electric. I read that most power hookups are 16Amp, that gives me 3840W to play with.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Dont rely on that. Some are 10amps. Some even 6.
On this note, how common/popular are generators on camp sites. I could imagine there is a bit of a limit about how long and when they are allowed to run. Even with an inverter there is some noise involved.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On this note, how common/popular are generators on camp sites. I could imagine there is a bit of a limit about how long and when they are allowed to run. Even with an inverter there is some noise involved.
They are not common. Some sites do allow them but will most likely have a time window for usage. Unlikely to endear you to your neighbours. 😱

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts