I know nothing...

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's interesting. I live in a mobile home park and there are many here that are well older than 20 years, mine is 12.
Sorry didn't phrase it very well. It is a known fact that some sites with statics will not allow statics older than 10 years.

Reactions: Orion
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have spend a fleeting thought on heating but since I don't have a problem with calor gas it should be ok. I looked at the size of gas cylinder allowed and there doesn't seem to be a limit. Its then just a matter of size since the 47kg are quite big but also cheaper than smaller ones.
During the winter you will probably use at least 6kg of gas every 4 - 5 days and that is just for heating.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
During the winter you will probably use at least 6kg of gas every 4 - 5 days and that is just for heating.
Its 92kg (£149) for 5 weeks here at the moment. Can't really compare that of course. It will be heating only since I don't/can't/don't want to cook. I actually thought about getting the cooker out of the caravan and put something else there.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Sorry didn't phrase it very well. It is a known fact that some sites with statics will not allow statics older than 10 years.
That's actually quite interesting, what makes it a static? I really don't know. The one I live in is a static, I'm sure about that because this is not something you drag around the country behind a Fiat 500 or a Polo. Does it become static just because it parked permanently?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's actually quite interesting, what makes it a static? I really don't know. The one I live in is a static, I'm sure about that because this is not something you drag around the country behind a Fiat 500 or a Polo. Does it become static just because it parked permanently?
No, statics are generally larger than a touring caravan, and the little wheels that they have are for loading and unloading on to the delivery lorry and to help positioning on site. The difference in terminology wrt static snd mobile caravan is semantics. Touring caravans are designed to be towed behind cars.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
No, statics are generally larger than a touring caravan, and the little wheels that they have are for loading and unloading on to the delivery lorry and to help positioning on site. The difference in terminology wrt static snd mobile caravan is semantics. Touring caravans are designed to be towed behind cars.
I imagined something like semantics.

Next step tow bar. To have some kind of a start to the whole affair.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I imagined something like semantics.

Next step tow bar. To have some kind of a start to the whole affair.
Many towbar fitters will come to you. Ours was fitted on our driveway and it was a Trust towbar with detachable tow ball.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is a fact. We know the manager of one such site where after 10 years you are required to remove the static and because it is private land they make it difficult to do this. You then get an offer of about £700 from an Irishman who moves them there.
You do need to check the terms of the lease very carefully and also remember even a change of ownership of the site can make a big difference. This can mean removing older statics when the lease expired some time earlier but the owner took no action or major changes to the terms of use on the site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is no consensus on the age of caravans allowed, I have heard of one that only allowed a max age of 5 years. Its all entirely up to the site owner and their terms and conditions and as there is no regulation on them, you have to check them for the site you are intersted in, and not assume an expereince elseweher will apply .

Reactions: Raywood
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is no consensus on the age of caravans allowed, I have heard of one that only allowed a max age of 5 years. Its all entirely up to the site owner and their terms and conditions and as there is no regulation on them, you have to check them for the site you are intersted in, and not assume an expereince elseweher will apply .

I am not sure why you are arguing this point when it has already been clarified and the OP is buying a touring caravan and not a static so totally irrelevant?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not sure why you are arguing this point when it has already been clarified and the OP is buying a touring caravan and not a static so totally irrelevant?
If the OP wishes to site their caravan on a permanent site, the site owners will have their own T&C's and could well insist that any caravan age restrictions would also apply to the OP's touring caravan, so it is relevant.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Anything from 10 -20 years is the norm. My In laws static was excluded at 18 years in Bideford on Avon. As said T &Cs vary per land site owner.
I‘ve never heard anyone say a tourer is too old to be pitched🙃🙃

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anything from 10 -20 years is the norm. My In laws static was excluded at 18 years in Bideford on Avon. As said T &Cs vary per land site owner.
I‘ve never heard anyone say a tourer is too old to be pitched🙃🙃
Not many people wishing to live full time would be using a tourer, so it would be rare, but I have to assume that if you tried to use one on a fulltime pitch it would still have to comply with the sites rules. I'm not talking about touring sites.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Although many sites are open all year round some have council licencing restrictions which limit the length of stay, for example max 3 months. So you need to check that, others have restrictions on residential vans.

It can be a question of chatting to the owners, a CL we often use has a two berth caravan parked in a remote corner and someone's been living there for at least 3 years.

What you gain is freedom from the tyranny of the static site owners. If they turn awkward you can hitch up and leave.

Final thought, you need to let any insurers know your living in it, our policy makes it clear it covers holiday use, not permanent living.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would think most if not all sites have council restrictions on length of stay, but council cannot police it so not really an issue. The way they look on it is that it is money into the local economy.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
I would think most if not all sites have council restrictions on length of stay, but council cannot police it so not really an issue. The way they look on it is that it is money into the local economy.

Which is exactly why I said chat to the owners. Some may be willing as in the example I gave and some may stick to the terms of their licence (either council or caravan clubs) terms.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Which is exactly why I said chat to the owners. Some may be willing as in the example I gave and some may stick to the terms of their licence (either council or caravan clubs) terms.

Yep best way is to chat to site owners. Never knew that any council had sites and to stay 21 or 28 days on any caravan club site will break the bank as they are mega expensive?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yep best way is to chat to site owners. Never knew that any council had sites and to stay 21 ir 28 days on any caravan club site will break the bank as they are mega expensive?
The 21 night limit at Caravan Club Sites is a self-imposed rule - their site licence would permit 28 days, indeed the limit at CL/CS 5-van sites is 28 days - although some CL/CS owners are happy to bend the rules.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the ones who want to stay longer are mainly workers on local contracts. They may be given a nightly allowance well in excess of the site rate and can happily make a profit.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
There is a Cl near to Thame, that we have used and when I looked last week, they apologised for No availability, stating is was full with workers on the HS2 project/ Farce.

TRENDING THREADS