Kerb Weight and Plate Upgrade

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
It seems that that is the upgrade as original MTPLM is 1820kg.
But the original spec states MIRO of 1640kgs so it could be the OP's caravan is a higher spec? Either way, the dealer will be able to confirm. Just looked at the specification of the caravan, it sure looks to be an impressive set-up!

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hmmm it's not leaving much then with the motor movers installed, as part of the deal

110kg isn't a lot, unless we use our car and roofbox for more items.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The Grande definitely has a MTPLM of 1820kg therefore at 1863kg it has had the upgrade. https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/caravans/product/1306/swift-challenger-grande/#configurator
BUT the photo the OP took of the plate shows an MIRO of 1683kgs, the Swift spec shows it as being 1640kgs, so the MIRO is higher than the spec states.

We'll have to wait for him to get dealer confirmation as an upgraded MTPLM USUALLY takes it up to the axle/chassis maximum rating which (from what I've seen) is usually a round number (1900kgs, 1950kgs, 2000kgs etc). An upgrade to 1863kgs (to me) just doesn't look right.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm it's not leaving much then with the motor movers installed, as part of the deal

110kg isn't a lot, unless we use our car and roofbox for more items.
You will very quickly eat up a payload of 110kg. We try and load the car as much as we can.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
BUT the photo the OP took of the plate shows an MIRO of 1683kgs, the Swift spec shows it as being 1640kgs, so the MIRO is higher than the spec states.

We'll have to wait for him to get dealer confirmation as an upgraded MTPLM USUALLY takes it up to the axle/chassis maximum rating which (from what I've seen) is usually a round number (1900kgs, 1950kgs, 2000kgs etc). An upgrade to 1863kgs (to me) just doesn't look right.
I was referring to MTPLM and not the MIRO as the MIRO can never be a fixed value and can fluctuate by several or more kgs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was referring to MTPLM and not the MIRO as the MIRO can never be a fixed value and can fluctuate by several or more kgs.
In olden days didn’t there used to be a 2-3% potential variation in Ex works weight due to variations in materials and/or moisture levels in the fabric of the caravan. That’s 20-30 kg on a 1000 kg caravan. That’s why I would weigh my caravans on a public weighbridge in empty state and at full load. But even doing that there’s a tolerance on the day. The advantage modern caravans have is that these days much more of the fabric of the caravan is moisture impermeable. You can only do your best with the figures you have obtained for car and caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry I got you location wrong, though the information I gave may help others.

I don't think you need to be overly concerned about the car, it seems to have plenty of scope for towing heavy caravans. As I think you have found the challenge is going to be the caravan and keeping it within its MTPLM.

Whilst the caravan manufacture does state the caravan's MIRO, to be honest that cannot be assumed to be accurate, due to manufacturing tolerances, and other imperfections including the weather it can vary. The only way of knowing it's weight is to measure it when it is truly empty.

The MTPLM is significantly more important. It should not be treated as a target value, you must aim to keep the caravans all up weight under the MTPLM. This is why ensuring you have the correct MTPLM figure is essential.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Rather than guessing what is the 'upgrade' or not just look at the statutory weight plate on the caravan, not the label by the door. That will tell you what the true MTPLM is.

True MTPLMs are never 'crooked' values. They are always in multiples of 50kg.
Strange as our upgrade was 75kg and not 50kg?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
In olden days didn’t there used to be a 2-3% potential variation in Ex works weight due to variations in materials and/or moisture levels in the fabric of the caravan. That’s 20-30 kg on a 1000 kg caravan. That’s why I would weigh my caravans on a public weighbridge in empty state and at full load. But even doing that there’s a tolerance on the day. The advantage modern caravans have is that these days much more of the fabric of the caravan is moisture impermeable. You can only do your best with the figures you have obtained for car and caravan.
I believe it was +/- 5% in the "olden" days - there was at least one occasion when a magazine checked the ex-works weight and it was more than the gross weight (MTPLM in modern terms).

As wood has gradually been reduced or eliminated in modern caravans, the variation should be a lot less.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I believe it was +/- 5% in the "olden" days - there was at least one occasion when a magazine checked the ex-works weight and it was more than the gross weight (MTPLM in modern terms).

As wood has gradually been reduced or eliminated in modern caravans, the variation should be a lot less.

But I know that at least some caravan manufacturers still quote a caveat of 5% on their stated MIROs which isn't surprising really because the MIRO is not the ex works weight of the caravan in question, but the weight of that caravan of the same model that the manufacturer submitted for type approval and that could have had a different specification.
Quoted MIROs are therefore only a very rough guide of a caravan's actual weight.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
But I know that at least some caravan manufacturers still quote a caveat of 5% on their stated MIROs which isn't surprising really because the MIRO is not the ex works weight of the caravan in question, but the weight of that caravan of the same model that the manufacturer submitted for type approval and that could have had a different specification.
Quoted MIROs are therefore only a very rough guide of a caravan's actual weight.
Lutz, we're currently looking at Adria's and their tech-spec quotes TWO "empty" weights, any idea what the difference is between the two parameters, is it just one includes battery etc?

adria.JPG

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Lutz, we're currently looking at Adria's and their tech-spec quotes TWO "empty" weights, any idea what the difference is between the two parameters, is it just one includes battery etc?

View attachment 5389

Unladen weight is, by definition, a 'dry' weight. Mass in running order on the other hand will include , for example, a 90% full onboard water tank, if one is fitted, and a gas bottle, the EHU cable, etc. I doubt whether it includes a battery though unless the manufacturer has had the caravan type approved with a battery fitted, which is unlikely as it's usually a dealer fitment.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is 30kg house battery included in MIRO or counted as use payload?.
That’s a brute of a battery fir a caravan. Because MIRO seems to have some variation between makes and size of caravan it is best to check the Owners Manual or contact the makers Tech Support. Since MRO/Miro was introduced my vans did not include battery in MRO/MIRO.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Is 30kg house battery included in MIRO or counted as use payload?.
More likely than not it will not be included in the MIRO but even if it were, don't rely on the MIRO figure (for reasons that I have mentioned before so many times). Always weigh your caravan empty first. If you can't weigh it, maybe because you don't have it yet, always add the 5% tolerance to the maker's quoted MIRO to avoid a possible shock later.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
That’s a brute of a battery fir a caravan. Because MIRO seems to have some variation between makes and size of caravan it is best to check the Owners Manual or contact the makers Tech Support. Since MRO/Miro was introduced my vans did not include battery in MRO/MIRO.
100AH 28.5kg

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In the UK we have an Trade organisation called the "National Caravan Council" (NCC) and the UK industry has agreed to follow a set of weight related guidelines that set the MTPLM of caravans built and sold in the UK. The effect of these guidelines is to set an artificially lower MTPLM for some caravans, and where the MTPLM is lower than the official (EU) weight limits, the UK manufacturers may (but not always) offer a weight plate upgrade,

If the OP were abroad and bought his caravan there it wouldn't have an NCC label by the door (or anywhere else).
One can't have two legal MTPLMs on the same caravan. Either a permissible laden mass is a maximum or it isn't. How can two values which differ from one another both be a maximum? Only one can be legal.

TRENDING THREADS