Kerb Weight and Plate Upgrade

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The OP is not abroad and is buying a UK caravan which has one sticker showing the MTPLM. If an upgrade is required, the original sticker is removed and a sticker with the new value for the MTPLM is put in its place. Simples!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The OP is not abroad and is buying a UK caravan which has one sticker showing the MTPLM. If an upgrade is required, the original sticker is removed and a sticker with the new value for the MTPLM is put in its place. Simples!

The photo that the OP has posted of the sticker on his caravan doesn't conform to legal requirements so there must be another weight plate elsewhere which does.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the OP were abroad and bought his caravan there it wouldn't have an NCC label by the door (or anywhere else).
One can't have two legal MTPLMs on the same caravan. Either a permissible laden mass is a maximum or it isn't. How can two values which differ from one another both be a maximum? Only one can be legal.
I never said the NCC label was the official PLM I hoped I made it clear the NCC was a local suggested value.

I read the OP's comments and I got the incorrect impression he was attempting to buy a UK caravan and possibly export it another country.

Oh how I wish the UK's caravan industry was NOT afflicted with the NCC (a trade organisation) which seems to love to interfere with the legal definitions and issue their own wooly and imprecisis guidance which confuses the public.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The whole weight plate/legal conformity thing has been done to death so many times without ever reaching a 100% clear conclusion.

Over on another channel, Mr Plod approached Bailey and didn't really (from memory) arrive at a crystal-clear conclusion. The thread ran to many, many pages..............

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The photo that the OP has posted of the sticker on his caravan doesn't conform to legal requirements so there must be another weight plate elsewhere which does.
I don't recall anyone stating it was a legal sticker. After all the sticker on the side of any caravan is not mandatory so need for it to conform to any legal requirements, but that is another debate that has been done to death on this and other forums and the OP probably has no interest in any legal arguments.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
After all the sticker on the side of any caravan is not mandatory so need for it to conform to any legal requirements, but that is another debate that has been done to death on this and other forums and the OP probably has no interest in any legal arguments.
Consequently any sticker on the side which doesn't conform to requirements can safely be ignored or removed. That's surely a non-issue which doesn't need to be discussed further.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Consequently any sticker on the side which doesn't conform to requirements can safely be ignored or removed. That's surely a non-issue which doesn't need to be discussed further.
You are undoubtedly correct, BUT as has been discussed before, the UK caravan dealers, caravan buying public AND some police officers believe it is a necessary label and trying to argue your own version (again, which I believe to be correct) at either a point of sale, roadside check etc makes it simply not an arguement/discussion anyone wants to have.

The UK's association with caravan weights and percentages has been around for so long that many regard it as a directive that simply must be followed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You are undoubtedly correct, BUT as has been discussed before, the UK caravan dealers, caravan buying public AND some police officers believe it is a necessary label and trying to argue your own version (again, which I believe to be correct) at either a point of sale, roadside check etc makes it simply not an arguement/discussion anyone wants to have.

The UK's association with caravan weights and percentages has been around for so long that many regard it as a directive that simply must be followed.

I don't want to draw this thread into another never ending discussion, but if the caravan manufacturer is not a member of the NCC it wouldn't have the sticker by the door so the powers-that-be would have to go by what the statutory plate says. Besides, what's the point of having an MTPLM on the statutory plate if it's ignored? If one ignores the MTPLM on the statutory plate one would also have to ignore the maximum allowable noseweight and maximum axle load, which are also on the statutory plate but not on the sticker by the door.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Without wishing to stir things up I will just say that is not the official statutory weight plate. The official plate will not give details of the MIRO, nor of tyre size or tyre pressure. Instead, it specifies the maximum permissible noseweight and maximum axle load(s).

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is not identical to the one on mine which actually shows not only the MTPLM but the design weight of the chassis which is 30kg heavier.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Just to throw a spanner in the works, I’ve just looked at the website advert technical page section, which doesn’t match the plate.

Could it be the plate will get changed when it goes through the PDI?

IMG_1370.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I noticed that the other day when you first posted. I suppose it could well be that your particular model has optional extras fitted that has bumped the weights up? We're currently looking at an Adria and the spec sheet lists 2 x MIRO's and 2 x MTPLM's for the same model depending on options fitted or not. I wouldn't get too hung up about it as the differences isn't much.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Nope, I’m just hoping the weight upgrade will be a good allowance, which allows us to use if we so wish.

Won’t be going near it, but just a nice to have :)

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Nope, I’m just hoping the weight upgrade will be a good allowance, which allows us to use if we so wish.

When you get it weigh absolutely everything as you load it, even bits that seem irrelevant (toilet rolls etc), trust me, you'll be amazed at how quickly it adds up! I do this every time we change the caravan and end up throwing stuff out, there's only the three of us but we seem to end up with enough cutlery and plates to hold a Royal banquet!!!!!

• Haha
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Haven’t your dealer said what the upgrade will be?

After weighing what goes into the van I created some spreadsheets that allowed easy transfer of items out of the caravan and into the car, or just not taking them. Then as new items came along I just added them to the spreadsheet and the max load was then updated. That way we could quickly muster stuff fir a summer holiday, or winter three day break. It also acted as a checklist as we pulled stuff out of the garage, from under beds etc.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I noticed that the other day when you first posted. I suppose it could well be that your particular model has optional extras fitted that has bumped the weights up? We're currently looking at an Adria and the spec sheet lists 2 x MIRO's and 2 x MTPLM's for the same model depending on options fitted or not. I wouldn't get too hung up about it as the differences isn't much.

I note that, in their tech spec, Adria refer to a, quote, MTPLM-min. What are they playing at? Either it's a maximum or a minimum. How can it be both at the same time? One can be a standard MTPLM and the other an optional MTPLM, but not a minimum and maximum MTPLM. If the terms 'minimum' and 'maximum' are used, then this suggests that there is also something in between.

Reactions: Dustydog and GaryB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I note that, in their tech spec, Adria refer to a, quote, MTPLM-min. What are they playing at? Either it's a maximum or a minimum. How can it be both at the same time? One can be a standard MTPLM and the other an optional MTPLM, but not a minimum and maximum MTPLM. If the terms 'minimum' and 'maximum' are used, then this suggests that there is also something in between.
The "M" in MTPLM is an abbreviation for Maximum - but the caravan industry can't cope with the perfectly obvious.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just confirmed from dealership.

The weight plate can be upgraded to 2000kg
That gives you more than enough to play with, probably more than you may need but it’s nice to have the margin. Make sure tyre pressures and LI reflect the change. I had a Bailey where the MTPLM was increased to within 20 kg of the maximum load the tyres were rated for. So I fitted new tyres with a higher LI.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
A lot of new caravans can have MTPLM uprated to round number. What I don't understand is why advertise such lower odd number MTPLM to start with.

If low number is to increase number of cars that can tow caravan why odd number. Car tow ratings are typically round numbers eg 1200, not 1120kg.

Most buyers of new caravans are experienced towers and own car suitable for caravan size they are buying.

TRENDING THREADS