Kia Sportage 2 Crdi 1.6 diesel auto

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The details given for the said tiguan on tow info website says the kerb weight is 2200 and at 85% the caravan weight which can be towed is 1500kg
That seems a very high kerb weight for a Tiguan. My Santa Fe is 1950 kg without towbar. and a Tiguan is much lighter. 85% now day is rubbish, forget it. After towing for a year you will learn a lot.
Let's do a bit more. Research for you.
What is the EXACT car you are looking at. Year model etc.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Towcar.info is showing your car at 1900kg inclusive of a 200kg payload. The three stars for weight is because the caravan is quite heavy in relation to the car, but not unacceptably so. Also the three stars for snaking again relate to the weight ratio of the car to caravan. Also I’m not seeing what noseweight te car towbar can take as this has an effect on the calculations for snaking. In the website you can vary noseweight but I don’t see what the car can take, and what value was input.

It’s important to input the correct values to the calculations.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Given the various figures being banded about I would put the ratio of kerbweight to MTPLM at between 87.5% and 89%. Either way that supports the Towcar.info estimates. As Hutch says 85%is a guide but overtaken somewhat by improvements in car technolgy, plus several other things affect safety whilst towing, which Towcar.info does point out.

I think if the OP sticks to “car heavy and van light” whist not exceeding the cars GVW the proposed outfit will be fine.

Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
That seems a very high kerb weight for a Tiguan. My Santa Fe is 1950 kg without towbar. and a Tiguan is much lighter. 85% now day is rubbish, forget it. After towing for a year you will learn a lot.
Let's do a bit more. Research for you.
What is the EXACT car you are looking at. Year model etc.
Hi Hatch, thanks in advance for your help there’s so much information online it’s getting confusing. Really I would just like a car that would safely tow my car caravan. I feel like I’ve been going around in circles. From looking at different makes, 4wd oe 2wd? Manual or automatic 🙈 there’s so much into towing caravan’s! I’ve attached pics of two cars below with regard to your previous post. Thanks again 😊 the Tiguan (gold colour) is diesel manual and the black Tiguan 4Motion is diesel automatic

Attachments

• IMG_2054.jpeg
    IMG_2054.jpeg
    485.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2046.jpeg
    IMG_2046.jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gemlou, this is from Parkers. I hope this helps you a bit more.

NL16RWN. , kerb weight 1522kg,

RF16VPK. Kerb weight 1650 kg.

Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
Gemlou, this is from Parkers. I hope this helps you a bit more.

NL16RWN. , kerb weight 1522kg,

RF16VPK. Kerb weight 1650 kg.
Thank you, looking at the kerbweights the first car wouldn’t be any good? The second car would be more sufficient? As it’s only 650 more than the weight of caravan if keeping caravan light and maybe loading more in the car would this be ok? Also would nose weight be considered as weight to the car ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Remember to add another say 30 kg for a tow bar, so the lighter car would come in at 1550 "ISH"kg, you realistically never tow with a car at kerb weight and the caravan full. So either car would be suitable. But my preference would be the heavier car.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Next on my list is to research about nose weight 🤔
Don’t stress about noseweight. There is so much discussion about it that new caravanners will want to sit in a darkened room and sob.
Find out what noseweight the car can manage. This is the S value. Then all you have to do is load your caravan to balance the noseweight of the caravan. If it is too heavy move items to just behind the caravan axle but not right to the back; if it is too light, load your stuff slightly forward of the axle. Don’t get tied in knots about it.
I will undoubtedly be told that I have over simplified this, but I can take it. 😀
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Next on my list is to research about nose weight 🤔
OMG that will really open a protracted discussion. 😱

The car will have a stated maximum applicable to its towbar. Say 75kg.

The caravan will have a stated maximum applicable to its hitch. Say 100kg.

So lowest wins. You aim to set your noseweight to 75 kg. (Example not actual)

Recommend guidance is it should be between 5-7% of caravan MTPLM which the majority of caravanners achieve.

If you search the Forum you will find lots and lots of threads about how to measure your noseweight of the caravan and the techniques and equipment to help you do so. People have their own preferred approach and no doubt you will come back here totally confused about what basically is a straightforward task. 🙈

Last edited:
Reactions: Gemlou
Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
Hi all! I’ve just reserved a

Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI 150PS SE Nav 4Motion DSG diesel auto 😀​

The car doesn’t have a tow bar. Silly question do I need to get tow bar before I can find the s value ? Does it make a difference which tow bar I get? If so any recommendations please?

With regards to the caravan how can I find out the maximum nose weight applicable to the hitch ? Thanks all for your help and advice it’s much appreciated 😊

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all! I’ve just reserved a

Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI 150PS SE Nav 4Motion DSG diesel auto 😀​

The car doesn’t have a tow bar. Silly question do I need to get tow bar before I can find the s value ? Does it make a difference which tow bar I get? If so any recommendations please?

With regards to the caravan how can I find out the maximum nose weight applicable to the hitch ? Thanks all for your help and advice it’s much appreciated 😊
The fitter who should be a professional will know the maximum tow ball load for that car by checking the Reg No.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do I need to do this before buying the car?
If you visit the car dealer you can look in the owners manual too. The caravan will most likely be an Alko chassis with 100 kg max hitch load. Very large twin axle vans can go up to 150kg. Again the information will be in the caravan owners manual.

When you eventually go and collect the caravan it will largely be unloaded apart from any kit you buy or are given by the dealer. Your caravan may be light or heavy on the nose because it’s largely unloaded. So you may need to take along something to bring the noseweight to the required S level. And ask the dealer to measure noseweight if you don’t have the kit. I used toolbag, 10 litre water containers etc to get mine to the correct nose load when I purchased it as it was nose heavy. Sounds complicated but it’s not and the dealer should help.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
Think I’ve made a mistake using tow info. Does the weight refer to laden weight or the unladen weight? The model I have is a swift challenger 2009 the caravan didn't come up on tow info so I pressed the below , please seepic thinking it was the unladen weight which is 1288kg which is not much difference to the unladen weight of my caravan which is 1294kg. (The Maximin Technical Permissible Laden mass is 1500kg 🙈 hoping it’s ok 🤞🏻)

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpeg
    IMG_2055.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 3

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts