Kia Sportage 2 Crdi 1.6 diesel auto

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
If you visit the car dealer you can look in the owners manual too. The caravan will most likely be an Alko chassis with 100 kg max hitch load. Very large twin axle vans can go up to 150kg. Again the information will be in the caravan owners manual.

When you eventually go and collect the caravan it will largely be unloaded apart from any kit you buy or are given by the dealer. Your caravan may be light or heavy on the nose because it’s largely unloaded. So you may need to take along something to bring the noseweight to the required S level. And ask the dealer to measure noseweight if you don’t have the kit. I used toolbag, 10 litre water containers etc to get mine to the correct nose load when I purchased it as it was nose heavy. Sounds complicated but it’s not and the dealer should help.
Hi otherclive, I already have the caravan it’s a single axle swift challenger 2009. I’ve reserved a

Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI 150PS SE Nav 4Motion DSG diesel auto .​

Please see last post I think I’ve made a mistake with regards to information I’ve put into tow info to match car and caravan 🙈 thank you

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi otherclive, I already have the caravan it’s a single axle swift challenger 2009. I’ve reserved a

Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI 150PS SE Nav 4Motion DSG diesel auto .​

Please see last post I think I’ve made a mistake with regards to information I’ve put into tow info to match car and caravan 🙈 thank you
Your owners manual will detail the maximum load you can apply to its tow hitch. I expect it will be 100 kgs but please check.

These matching sites require good information to be able to provide good estimates of the match for car and caravan. Fortunately 6kg in nearly 1300 kgs isn’t going to make one iota of difference to the output.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
Your owners manual will detail the maximum load you can apply to its tow hitch. I expect it will be 100 kgs but please check.

These matching sites require good information to be able to provide good estimates of the match for car and caravan. Fortunately 6kg in nearly 1300 kgs isn’t going to make one iota of difference to the output.
Thank you, so the weights of the caravan shown in the pic from tow info relate to the unladen weights of the caravan ??

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
According to Google. The MPTLM ( Maximum Permissible Towing Laden Mass i.e. the van and all your stuff cannot weigh more than this) of theCaravan is 1500 kg. This is the value that you work with

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
According to Google. The MPTLM ( Maximum Permissible Towing Laden Mass i.e. the van and all your stuff cannot weigh more than this) of theCaravan is 1500 kg. This is the value that you work with
The fact that the picture shows 1288 kg, and other pictures you have posted in #24 show 1488 kg indicate a caravan at Mass in Running Order (1288kg) with a 200kg payload which gives a MTPLM of 1488k, which is very close to your caravans MTPLM of 1500kg. Given the year of your caravan the 1288kg could be its unladen weight. Which is basically an empty caravan, no gas bottles, no battery etc. So your 200kg payload has to account for everything you put into it including gas, battery, mover if fitted etc plus all your othe equipment and personal stuff. Does your label by the door, or owners manual give details. Alternatively around the time of your caravan Mass in Running Order came in. MIRO/MRO fir your size caravan would have included the weight of one 10kg gas cylinder (6kg gas plus 4kg cylinder), electric cable, steps, portable water pump/hose unless internal fitted, documentation and handbooks. So if it’s MRO you have another 200 kg payload, if it’s unladen weight you have less payload.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Tiguan AWD or 2WD will do the job. While 2WD will be fine most of time there will be occasions you wished it was AWD.
Upside of AWD is traction plus extra weight doesn't hurt with handling when towing.
Downside more expensive to buy, service and at pump when not towing.

Petrol or diesel is personal preference thing.
If buying petrol go for 2.0TSI it will make for effortless towing. The 1.4tsi will do it but will be working.

Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
Hi all! thanks again for your help. So I’ve been in touch with car dealer and a tow bar fitter and been told that with regards to maximum load you can apply to tow hitch the total maximum capacity weight is 2500kg so car will be ok.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all! thanks again for your help. So I’ve been in touch with car dealer and a tow bar fitter and been told that with regards to maximum load you can apply to tow hitch the total maximum capacity weight is 2500kg so car will be ok.
Blimey and our Jeep has a maximum of 175kg. Are you buying a low loader? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That is the maximum towing weight that you can tow and not the load on the towball. It seems that maximum tow ball load is 140kg. See HERE.
That strikes me as particularly high for a Tiguan. Could that website have made an error. The Towcar awards for an almost similar model to the one the OP likes is 100kg. Seriously the OP really needs to eyeball the cars owners manual as parameters are chopping and changing which will cause potential problems if the OP gets it wrong.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That strikes me as particularly high for a Tiguan. Could that website have made an error. The Towcar awards for an almost similar model to the one the OP likes is 100kg. Seriously the OP really needs to eyeball the cars owners manual as parameters are chopping and changing which will cause potential problems if the OP gets it wrong.

I thought the same , but that is correct for the 2.0l diesel Tiguan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Entering the OPs selected cars registration into the Witter website it gives 100kg S value., which correlates with the Towcar Awards value for a 2.0 Ltd diesel 4 motion DSG in my post #62.

Yet the Westfalia fixed and detachable say 150kg. So either way the OP has plenty to play with. Although I assume the caravan hitch load limit will be 100kg.

IMG_1258.png

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2024
Visit site

The fact that the picture shows 1288 kg, and other pictures you have posted in #24 show 1488 kg indicate a caravan at Mass in Running Order (1288kg) with a 200kg payload which gives a MTPLM of 1488k, which is very close to your caravans MTPLM of 1500kg. Given the year of your caravan the 1288kg could be its unladen weight. Which is basically an empty caravan, no gas bottles, no battery etc. So your 200kg payload has to account for everything you put into it including gas, battery, mover if fitted etc plus all your othe equipment and personal stuff. Does your label by the door, or owners manual give details. Alternatively around the time of your caravan Mass in Running Order came in. MIRO/MRO fir your size caravan would have included the weight of one 10kg gas cylinder (6kg gas plus 4kg cylinder), electric cable, steps, portable water pump/hose unless internal fitted, documentation and handbooks. So if it’s MRO you have another 200 kg payload, if it’s unladen weight you have less payload.
Hi, I’ve just been to caravan and taking a pic which gives weights. Please see below pic 2. So is it right the MR0 is 1294kg so I have another 200g because of the year 2009 thr mro included the weight of like you said below 10 kg gas cylinder a.s.o ?

With regards to nose load I have again been in touch with tow bar fitter and was told that the Tiguan 2litre 150 SE NAV 4Motion DSG diesel auto 2016 reg number GD16BXR the tow ball load is 100kg for the older 2016 model or 125kg for the newer model. So I’m going to get back in touch with dealer to find out which model it is.

Also I’ve taken another pic of sticker near the hitch which I’ve attached below. Does this refer to al-ko which you referred to in another post to find out max hitch load ??Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2071.jpeg
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I’ve just been to caravan and taking a pic which gives weights. Please see below pic 2. So is it right the MR0 is 1294kg so I have another 200g because of the year 2009 thr mro included the weight of like you said below 10 kg gas cylinder a.s.o ?

With regards to nose load I have again been in touch with tow bar fitter and was told that the Tiguan 2litre 150 SE NAV 4Motion DSG diesel auto 2016 the tow ball load is 100kg for the older 2016 model or 125kg for the newer model. So I’m going to get back in touch with dealer to find out which model it is.

Also I’ve taken another pic of sticker near the hitch which I’ve attached below. Does this refer to al-ko which you referred to in another post to find out max hitch load ??Thanks so much!
That’s fine. You should have a payload available of 206kg. Be aware that if the van has been fitted with after market items such as mover, solar panel etc they come out of payload.

Wrt noseweight I’m sure your caravan will be limited to 100kg so even if the car can take a higher noseweight the lowest wins, so it’s the caravan that limits usable noseweight to 100 kg. What does the caravan owners manual say?

Wrt your first photo do not grease your towball as that part of the instructions isn’t relevant to you. In fact I’d ignore the lot.
There are two loads on the caravan hitch. There will be a horizontal load associated with towing the caravans weight. You don’t need to do anything as the specification of the tow hitch looks after that load.

There’s then the vertical load between the caravan hitch and towball. This is noseweight or nose load. There will be a maximum for the car to accept, and a maximum for the caravan hitch to accept. You are still investigating the cars specified noseweight which depending on the model seems to float between 100 kg and 150 kg.

You need to check the caravan manual to see what its maximum nose load is. Failing that emsil Swift. From my experience it’s most likely to be 100kg. So even if your car can take more than 100 kgs the caravan having a 100 kg max means you limit the car to 100 kg by how you load the caravan.

The two Clubs offer excellent courses for new caravanners it might be worth your while signing up to one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel
Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
That’s fine. You should have a payload available of 206kg. Be aware that if the van has been fitted with after market items such as mover, solar panel etc they come out of payload.

Wrt noseweight I’m sure your caravan will be limited to 100kg so even if the car can take a higher noseweight the lowest wins, so it’s the caravan that limits usable noseweight to 100 kg. What does the caravan owners manual say?
Yes the caravan has a mover, how would I get weight of this ? Would a battery also be included in payload?

Sorry I’m a bit confused so if the car can take the higher nose weight do I go for having the towbar for 125 kg or the for 100kg the lowest? Or are there certain Towbars for particular models? Can’t seem to find caravan manual 🙈 I have the owners service and warranty handbook is that any good?

Just spoke to dealer and he said it’s newer model so noseload /towbar load is 125kg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes the caravan has a mover, how would I get weight of this ? Would a battery also be included in payload?

Sorry I’m a bit confused so if the car can take the higher nose weight do I go for having the towbar for 125 kg or the for 100kg the lowest? Or are there certain Towbars for particular models? Can’t seem to find caravan manual 🙈 I have the owners service and warranty handbook is that any good?

Just spoke to dealer and he said it’s newer model so noseload /towbar load is 125kg
Battery not included in payload. Single axle mover about 30kg and twin axle about 60kg. Between the battery and the SA mover that is about 55kg out of your personal payload.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Battery is payload, as will be any fluids you have in the toilette cassette or flush tank. For my 2012 Swift the MRO included a single gas cylinder (Calorlite at 10kg with 6kg gas), electrical hook up cable, plastic step, external pipe to go from water container to inlet socket on side of caravan, all documentation and user handbooks. Anything else comes out of payload. You need to get the mover make and model, if it’s still marketed the makers website should give the weight. If it has been superseded then contact the maker. Its handbook may give the weight.

There are towbars specific to most model of car, and they will have been type approved for that car model. The cars handbook should give the max noseweight applicable, although Witter give 100kg and Westfalia give 150kg. I dare say Brink might be different again, but the lowest consistent seems to be 100kg, which by most standards is a satisfactory noseweight limit. If you have a 100+kg installed remember your caravan hitch load may still limit you to a maximum of 100kg.

The caravans limit will be in the owners manual. Certainly not in the service or warranty book. I said in my earlier post that if you cannot find the Owners Manual then email Swift Technical services giving them your caravan details IE VIN number.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Even with MM fitted there is enough payload capacity if you are sensible with what you take. Place heavy items in car eg awning.
Worth weighing everything you place in caravan after first couple trips. Will be surprised at how quickly weight add ups from simple items like kitchen utensils.

Having MMs is bonus. I've years of experience backing but more often than not use MMs as I can place van exactly where I want while being able walk around it and check clearances. Also handy for leveling if using ramps. One trick is being able to do 180 so you can admire the view (beach, mountains, fields) while having breakfast, instead of looking at other campers

Watch before using.
View: https://youtu.be/6sqgN4MFk1U?si=kwwh8LmxLrCZI-br

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even with MM fitted there is enough payload capacity if you are sensible with what you take. Place heavy items in car eg awning.
Worth weighing everything you place in caravan after first couple trips. Will be surprised at how quickly weight add ups from simple items like kitchen utensils.

Having MMs is bonus. I've years of experience backing but more often than not use MMs as I can place van exactly where I want while being able walk around it and check clearances. Also handy for leveling if using ramps. One trick is being able to do 180 so you can admire the view (beach, mountains, fields) while having breakfast, instead of looking at other campers

Watch before using.
View: https://youtu.be/6sqgN4MFk1U?si=kwwh8LmxLrCZI-br
Why wouldn’t you want to weigh everything before the first trip, and not after the first couple of trips. It’s surprising how quickly 200kg payload can be used up without realising it. Weighing it first and putting bit into a spreadsheet eases planning for subsequent trips with sub spreadsheets for different trips in different seasons

It’s also a good move to weigh the loaded caravan on a weighbridge as a check.

Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
Battery is payload, as will be any fluids you have in the toilette cassette or flush tank. For my 2012 Swift the MRO included a single gas cylinder (Calorlite at 10kg with 6kg gas), electrical hook up cable, plastic step, external pipe to go from water container to inlet socket on side of caravan, all documentation and user handbooks. Anything else comes out of payload. You need to get the mover make and model, if it’s still marketed the makers website should give the weight. If it has been superseded then contact the maker. Its handbook may give the weight.

There are towbars specific to most model of car, and they will have been type approved for that car model. The cars handbook should give the max noseweight applicable, although Witter give 100kg and Westfalia give 150kg. I dare say Brink might be different again, but the lowest consistent seems to be 100kg, which by most standards is a satisfactory noseweight limit. If you have a 100+kg installed remember your caravan hitch load may still limit you to a maximum of 100kg.

The caravans limit will be in the owners manual. Certainly not in the service or warranty book. I said in my earlier post that if you cannot find the Owners Manual then email Swift Technical services giving them your caravan details IE VIN number.
Thanks otherclive, I will be contacting swift today. If the caravan nose weight ends up being 100kg will this then go onto the car payload as I’m thinking I only have 200 kg payload on car and that's including passengers if this correct there wouldn’t be much payload left to use in car??? Your help is appreciated ☺️ feeling a bit stressed because we’re going to see car today and not really sure if I’m making the right decision of buying 🙈

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks otherclive, I will be contacting swift today. If the caravan nose weight ends up being 100kg will this then go onto the car payload as I’m thinking I only have 200 kg payload on car and that's including passengers if there wouldn’t be much payload left to use in car??? Your help is appreciated ☺️ feeling a bit stressed because we’re going to see car today and not really sure if I’m making the right decision of buying 🙈
Why do you think you will only have 200kg payload in the car? I would think it would be a lot higher and about 500kg?

TRENDING THREADS