La Garangeoire, Vendee

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone been to La Garangeoire site near Saint Julien des Landes in the Vendee region of France?

Is there plenty to do in the Vendee region?

Is it true about the 'micro climate' and the fair summer weather?

Any recommendations on places of interests or good surfing beaches?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We also had a look around this site when we stayed at La Yole close to St Jean de Monts. I would say that if we went back to that area we would stay at La Garangoire although it is a car drive to the beaches. It seemed to be a very clean and tidy site with a good choice of large grass pitches.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Spent 3 weeks at La Garangeoire in Sept 08. Excellent site with exteremely friendly staff. Owners "on site" and involved. First class restaurant and bar, good shop, excellent pool area and more than sufficient to do on site. The area is a tourists paradise from country walks, good beaches, quaint villages etc. Go for it!

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Just to say 'ditto' to all Clubman's comments. Stayed there in June last year and would not hesitate to return. A gorgeous site with very friendly English speaking staff (one of the receptionists was English too), but lots of other nationalities staying there also.

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clubman,

Thanks for your reply.

We have three young children, my mate Glen has two (we're traveling in convoy) and we will undoubtedly have to stop for numerous toilets breaks.

We're driving on a Saturday morning (in August) from St. Malo. The route finders I have used suggest that it's approx 4.5 hours. However, I've read that Rennes can be a congestion black-spot and that Nantes can be a bit tricky to navigate around -any truth in this? Do you have any recommendations on good places to stop en route?

Thanks

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clubman,

Thanks for your reply.

We have three young children, my mate Glen has two (we're traveling in convoy) and we will undoubtedly have to stop for numerous toilets breaks.

We're driving on a Saturday morning (in August) from St. Malo. The route finders I have used suggest that it's approx 4.5 hours. However, I've read that Rennes can be a congestion black-spot and that Nantes can be a bit tricky to navigate around -any truth in this? Do you have any recommendations on good places to stop en route?

Thanks
Sorry, I thought I was replying to Clubman's comment directly -I obviously clicked the wrong button.

I did not wish to be impolite to everyone else's replies.

So, that last question should be addressed to 'Clubman, wendylois and everyone else'.

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We have travelled round these two ring roads many times and - touch wood - have never been stuck in any traffic. When you hit the ring roads you will be guided by directions to "Nantes" from Rennes and "Bordeaux" when you hit Nantes ring road. On each occasion you will be taken west around the ring road which may well be the less congested part. There are plenty of Aires and services on each of the Autoroutes - one large one just before Nantes ring road, I think from memory called "Aire de Trelliers" which should be about half way through your journey where you can stop for lunch. There are also service stations on the ring roads.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lesley appears to have answered your question. I reckon St Malo is approx 175 miles from La Garangeoire. So allowing 4.5 hours is giving yourself plenty of time. I have never driven around Rennes or Nantes in August, but if you read the signs correctly and get in the appropriate lane early enough you should have no problems. You do not go through Rennes or Nantes but around the ring roads. Rest areas are very frequent and far superior to anything we have in this country. They cater for caravans as well as children. If I may be so bold as to offer a tad of advice re travelling in convoy...have a plan to meet up should you get separated, for example if you have "lost" each other say stop at the 1st service station of aire de repos after a certain road junction/exit. The chance of getting separated at some time over a 175 journey are, I would say, are between 25 - 40%. If you have mobile 'phones each then the problem recedes dramatically. On a positive note your kids will lovely La Garangeoire. As regards pitches, if the site will allow you have a walk around and choose your pitch carefully. Serviced pitches are nearest to the entrance/ reception/ bar etc but they are also surrounded by tall trees that can cut down on the sun at certain times, and also block satellite TV signals. Pitches on the perimeter have a paucity of water taps and drains!! get back to me if I can be of further help.

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
All, once again, thanks for your advice.

I'm experienced in driving on the continent solo, however towing on the RHS of the road shall be new to the pair of us. Your tips regarding travelling in convoy are duly noted thanks. The only bit of towing in France I'm nervous about is using my LHS Milenco mirror (offside in France) as I never seem to get a satisfactory view using it.

We've booked full serviced pitches but they have already allocated our pitches. When I rang the site to book they were almost full and we've ended up with pitches opposite each other rather than next to each other - can't have it all I suppose.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Glen's mate, been reading your posts with interest as i'm also taking my family to La Garangoire this August (15th).

Heard that there is lots to do and especially good for cycling, looking forward to cooking al fresco with a good bottle of wine without the umbrella (don't mind if it's to keep the sun off though!)

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Glen's mate, been reading your posts with interest as i'm also taking my family to La Garangoire this August (15th).

Heard that there is lots to do and especially good for cycling, looking forward to cooking al fresco with a good bottle of wine without the umbrella (don't mind if it's to keep the sun off though!)
Hi Safety Mole,

I thought I was getting a funny reply for a second there...made me laugh though.

We shall be there the same time as you and your family in August. The various reviews I have read and the responses I've received from this thread suggest that we have hopefully made a wise choice in selecting La Garangeoire. The Les Castels chain of camp sites appears (from their website and brochure) to be of a high standard. I'm also looking forward to sitting out in the warm

I received in the post today a brochure and a map from the Vendee Tourist office. It illustrates places of interest in the region, cycle paths etc. If you're interested you can have it sent to you by applying at their website:

www.vendee-tourisme.com/en

Here's wishing for a sunny and warm August! Only 8 months to go!!

p.s.don't forget your speedo's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts