Lake district which cc site would you recommend or CL

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
We're thinking we may do the lakes next year can you advise us on sites, area etc etc.
We are a family of 2 adults, 2 kids, like a bit of walking, love sight seeing, pretty villages, and we have a dog. We also have a twin axel caravan so easy access please.

Tthanks

Jo xx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
We used the Keswick C & CC site earlier in the year.Endless walking opportunities and the benefit of the town only a 10 minute walk.We didnt use the car all week.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends on which part of the Lakes you want, The C&CC site as mentioned above is north and on the banks of Derwent water. I havn't stayed at this site but know its location and its very nice. CC Troutbeck Head, jun40 M6, A66 towards Keswick and A5091. 1/4mile on the right. This road takes you down to Ulswater. The site is remote but easy to get to,it has super pitches and some a very nice views. A walk up Great Mell Fell is nice with some nice views from the top. Another must walk is from Howtown to Glenridding via the ferry. The walk can take you along the shore path which is very scenic or if your feeling energetic, over the top of Place Fell with a steep path at the end down to patterdale. Climb to the top of the cairn for a loverly view if you go over the top.
Meathrop Fell site is also easy to get to but has a narrow final approach with a bit of a hill near the site. You would need to take leveling blocks for this site as some pegs are umpty. There are some views over the Kent estuary towards ambleside but thease are limited. The site is south lakes and has just had its toilet block revamped, very nice, and some pegs leveled. This site is handy to drive into the lakes and along the coast road towards Barrow.
Low Park wood is also easy to get to but is in a wooded environment I have only visited the latter once which wasn't my cup of tea and my dog and another visitors dog I spoke to had to remove four or five Ticks which I know was from the area has I removed one, not yet attached, while sat outside the local pub. I have to say this was some 3-4years ago. Both the latter sites are not far from Jnc36 M6 and the usual CC standard but some of the latters pegs can be gloomy due to trees. I must say, some love the latter site but not me.You need to adear to the NOT BEFORE12 for arrivals due to the narrow final approach for the last two sites.
If, Braithwaite Fold, comes back into the fold, CC are negotiating with the local council who are the owners, then this is also reasonably easy to get to and almost on the banks of Windermere in Bowness. All good roads from the M6.
The lakes always seems busy busy busy to me and parking can be a nightmare and costly so choose your site well. Walking is endless and best approached when you know where your going, get a good local walks book and don't forget the map.
Some of the roads if not all are narrow and long to the other sites but plenty make it and stay at them.
Hope thats of help, also visit http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ who have loads of reviews on sites throughout the country. This is usually my first port of call when looking at sites I havn't visited.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I would just mention the 'after 12' rule at the Keswick site.The approach road is only really wide enough for one way traffic ,so you dont want to meet a unit leaving site.One of our favourite walks from the site was to head for the ferryboats,cross Derwentwater to Hawse End,then a walk up Catbells.Suitable for most people (bit of a scramble near the top) and the views are fantastic.

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
In terms of area I would recommend Great Langdale - it's got the mountainous scenery but it is also possible to do some low level, easy walks round Elterwater (which also has a pretty village). There is a caravan park in Langdale but I think it's just statics, so maybe a place to visit rather than stay.
Also, Buttermere and Crummock Water are both very dramatic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well I mentioned Braithwait Fold in my last post here, the CC have now lost the site due to the council not accepting their offer for long term contract. So it remains to be seen who, if anyone, takes it over.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
We used the C&CC Windermere site when we couldn't get a whole week in June at any suitable CC site (I need disabled shower facilities) owing to weekends being fully booked. It was great. It's halfway between Kendal and Windermere and very peaceful. There's even a pub on site which serves reasonable and good value food. We have it pencilled in for another visit, a fantastic discovery.

TRENDING THREADS