Landrover Discovery Diesel

Apr 29, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone got any comments on diesel Landrover Discovery's.

They seem to have had quite a lot of bad press in the past but it is claimed the new one has all problems ironed out.

We are thinking of changing our towcar as our current one looks as though it might need a new diff, after only 7500 miles!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After 7500 miles I'd be looking elsewhere too!

The D3 is an awesome beast (I just wish I could afford one) the V6 diesel engine actually sounding like it can perform like it sounds.

I believe Mr Rodgerson had one on test a while ago and was quite pleased with it.

Of course the Anti's would have you believe that it's quite alright to tow your Senator behind a Nissan Micra but the rest of us live in the real world.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've had Disco 3s since they came out (I'm on no2) and my parents have had their's a similar length of time. The earlier ones had a few issues that seem to have been resolved and my latest one has not put a foot wrong.

The comparison to the old TD5 engine is that they are from different worlds. The car is quiet, the auto box sublime and the driving experience is great. Like all LRs they seem to have their detractors, I say go and try one. I have tried all the competition and others do certain things better, for example the X5 is faster and the VW is perhaps more luxurious but alround there is not a car to beat it, particularly if you do drive off road like I do.

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
hi anita, we have an 02 td5 discovery its got 33,000 miles on the clock and we have had no trouble at all ,we drove down to southern spain last summer towing our caravan all was fine our disco is an auto but its a personal preference whether you have manual or auto, you should try one of the landrover forums ..www.lro.com and there are plenty more forums just put a search in google, hope this helps

sharon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry guys - but as much as I love Land Rovers - they have NEVER been able to make a really good manual gearbox. Thank God Ford make truly excellent manual boxes and these are what are used in the latest models.

For older models the auto is the one to choose evey time.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently traded in my 2003 TD5 for a TDV6 Discovery 3. We drove down to Royan in France towing a Elddis Crusader Superstorm a few weeks ago and the Disco was brilliant. We had no trouble with the TD5 either which had a performance upgrade downloaded from Autologic. The new Disco 3 is a fantastic tow car, quiet, plenty power and massive torque. I can thoroughly reccommend it.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Quoting:

"Sorry guys - but as much as I love Land Rovers - they have NEVER been able to make a really good manual gearbox. Thank God Ford make truly excellent manual boxes and these are what are used in the latest models."

Not for the new Discovery-3s they dont. Its a ZF manual gearbox just as its a ZF auto box.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I'm not so sure Ford make excellent manual boxes Clive. I remember the original Sierra Cosworth which had a BorgWarner box was superb, but the later Sapphire Cosworth (I had two) sported a truly awful Ford MT75 box which self destructed at the mere hint of aggression. A long time ago I know, but I've a long memory.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts