Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
recently bought an LCD 12 volt TV from Dixons. Powered from the mains via a transformer (down to 12v). On the mains it works fantastically well in the 'van - but can I run it direct from the 12volt caravan electrical system? I don't want to cause damage by doing it without (at least) someone else saying 'yes it will work this way ....) Thanks in advance,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard, Some will / some wont. Contact the TV manufacturer direct & ask them. I bought a Phillips 15" LCD tv thinking that it would run from the 12v circuit, but Phillips are non commital & if I damage the set the warranty will not cover it. As daft as it sounds my only solution is as follows:

The 12v connects to a 150w inverter, which turns the power into 230vAC & connects to the tv's transformer, which converts it back to 12vDC !

All I can say is best of luck mate !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Manhattan TFT TV and we use it direct from the 12V.The wiring in our 2003 Ace Jubilee Statesman comes from the battery and does a complete lap of the caravan before reaching the TV point.Sometimes the TV would work but if the charger was turned off it would only work on sound or not at all. This was cured by running heavier cable(via a fuse) direct from the battery to the TV point.This was then modified through a relay so that the original 12V feed is now the relay trigger.So when hooked up to the car the habitation relay is still able to cut off the supply to the TV.The thickness of the 12V lead makes a difference too.It will not work with thin cable.Try putting the 12V lead direct to the battery.Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As i understand it all tv's actually run on 12v's transformed from mains. This is why i cant undersatnd why mains/12v dual power tv's are so expensive!! i once had a tv that failed and my dad managed to wire it direct for 12v's - but this was on a 'no loss if you break it' arrnagement - not a new telly!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Richard, Conventional TV use a CRT (Cathode Ray tube) and the support systems needed to run the CRT were more tolerant of fluctuating voltages than many of the more modern systems. Many of the LCD type screens need a lot of computer type processing chips to produce the signal matrix to drive the screen. These are usually very sensitive to the correct voltage, and even as little as 0.1V (100mV) difference can cause them to malfunction.

Although cars are said to have a 12Vdc system, in practice it can easily vary between 10 and 14.5 V, depending on what is running, and whether the alternator is charging. As you can see this is quite a wide range, and without further supply line regulation there is a strong possibility that your LCD TV may not work properly or at worst be damaged. If the TV has been designed to work in cars, then it should be protected from these variations, but if it is designed for domestic use with its own power supply to convert 230 to 12V, then you must use more caution.

You can get special switch mode power supplies designed to work in cars that produced a stable 12V dc output (see your local Maplin electronic shop or online catalogue). Or you can use Les' solution of a 12V dc to 230V ac inverter and your tv's plug in power supply to reconvert 230 ac to 12V dc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts