Long winded account of our holiday. Won't make anyone happy b...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Plassey

I'm writing this only a few days into our holiday. It's been an underwhelming experience so far.

The journey.

Using a satnav to get you there, probably isn't the best idea. Tomtom took us down some roads that looked fine on the map but really weren't suitable for large outfits. A recommendation by the site on approach roads would have been welcome. Roadworks close to the site entrance made life difficult too.

The site entrance, now there's another problem. The narrow road into the site, ends right in the middle of the shops/attractions on camp. You have the choice of following the road round to the right, going further into the shopping/ bar/activity area. Or, you can turn left into the caravan site and reception. There the problem lies, it's a blind, 90 degree turn and if like us, you're in a large outfit and have been forced over to the left by an oncoming site vehicle, due to the narrow road, you're in trouble. With another camper van and two cars behind I did the only thing possible, I turned right. Following this road I passed several parked cars a few pedestrians and the heart of Plassey. But I was stuck, with nowhere to turn round and a tow car on the back of my van. The only thing that could be done was to unhook the car, making it possible to get the motorhome round and away from there. I was blocking cars, I know that and stressed as I was at that time, was working quickly to get it unhitched. So, the elderly man who got out of his pickup and started badgering me with his "Get orf ma land" attitude, didn't help one bit. Having said that, within 5 mins all was fine and we were heading to reception. We were shown to our pitch, beware of the speed humps they may look innocent, but were enough to rip off an admittedly low slung towing socket, from my car (no lights for me for the journey home then), which when we got there, were quite pleased with. We had spent the extra money and gone for a fully serviced pitch. This afforded us a large area of hard standing, a godsend considering all the rain we were having and were just about to have. It also came with a TV point, another good thing to have, as reception isn't so strong.

The toilet block although simple, was immaculate. Hopefully during high season it will remain that way.

So, a mixture of feelings so far, some the site couldn't do anything about, some that they could.

Setup was completed quickly, an advantage of motorhomes, and the car retrieved from the car park. Time to stock up on necessities, a visit to the site shop cometh.

A little disappointing, small, with a limited choice, but, with a well advertised brewery on site, bound to sell some sort of alcohol you would assume. But no nothing, not even a mouthwash, why is that? We did the only thing we could and asked for directions to the nearest Sainsburys or Tesco from the shop keeper. "No, we don't have any of them round here,"

came the reply.

An off license or garage?

Out of camp turn left then left then left was the reply. So off we went, we discovered the garage and a Kwik Save with half empty shelves and staff that haven't been paid for over a month. We still couldn't get all we wanted, but we had enough to last the first night. The next day, we went into Wrexham properly, finding the none existing Tesco and every other main supermarket you could care to mention.

Shopping done, much happier and settled in. Time to explore the camp. To be honest, the weather hasn't helped, today (Monday) is the first dry-ish day we have had so far. However everything is still waterlogged. The path that winds round Plassey turned out to be a no go area for several reasons. Firstly, the rain has made it more like a paddy field, standing water and mud the order of the day. Other unhelpful ideas are a route that takes you through well used farm land, with the associated walking problem of having to look where you step all the time. Another barrier is the fence that has a stile to get over or a cattle grid for vehicular traffic. Ok if you are a single walker or driving an off roader, not so good if you're walking a large dog! While we are mentioning dogs, can anyone who walks mans best friend, please clean up after it!

On the way round you pass one of the fishing ponds, all I can say is that I hope that the other ponds are more accessible as this one is completely overgrown. Judging by the map, I'm hoping in vain though.

To the golf course. It looks well tended, but so it should, it gets little use it seems. It is very hilly though, walking it may prove to be quite an effort, with any luck there will be golf carts to rent, I'll let you know later on.

Be prepared to travel, there doesn't seem to be any local attractions, unless shopping is something you aspire to on holiday. If the weather improves a visit to Prestatyn or Snowdon is on the cards, but after that,what else is there? Usually, on a large park, reception is packed full of leaflets on places to go and things to do. Not here though.

Not so good then! The saving grace is that this is only 3 days into the holiday, so there's time for an up swing. stand by for the next installment.

Tuesday

The best day so far,weather wise.

I have pitied the golfers so far, out each day in all that rain. Apart from a few light showers, it has been sunny and a drying wind has caught my interest. Time to get the clubs out!

Carefully packing the bats in the car (its a fair walk even before you start) expectations are rising. It will be good get out and do something for a change. Short drive to the car park and unload the gear, climb the ramp and be directed (via a sign) into the bar.

"One round of golf please"

"Sorry it's closed" came the blunt reply.

"Why?"

"Because it's too wet out there and we don't want any damage to it, because the captains cup is on at the weekend"

"No, you don't want to do that," came the confirmation from the bar's sole customer, another "get orf ma land" moment.

I could have argued the point that there had been golfers on the course every day since we had been there, but what would that achieve?

To recap (because the list is getting longer) can't use the swimming pool because it's under construction, the fishing is impractical and now the golf is off limits. The three reasons I chose this place out of all others, gone.

What other surprises are the in store, SWMBO want to go shopping tomorrow, I'm afraid that this is going to be the highlight of our fortnight.

Tuesday afternoon

Hit the bottle! Picked up Chris Moyles autobiography and chilled. A glass of brandy followed by Southern comfort and a grouse drink has left me feeling more pragmatic. Tomorrow is a shopping day (our anniversary is close) and I may yet have the chance to melt that golf ball on hole number one. Perhaps these problems don't merit getting all worked up about. Rocky our dog, just maid me laugh, he found out that the distance to the passing dog was actually longer than the length on his lead. So, now who's the boss? At this point may I thank alcohol, Chris Moyles an an honorable mention of JC (because he makes me smile too) for raising my spirits (pun intended). Wednesday awaits.

Wednesday

Once again unpredictable weather means no golfing today. Instead it's a shopping day. Usually, I don't think of shopping as retail therapy, but today, it has been. Wrexham isn't a metropolitan center, born from a long culture and molded from life's fashions. It does have all the basic shops though, from Matalan to Maplins to Macdonald's. A typical small city center that's enough to serve your needs. So, laden with new outfits and a few more books to read, the fact that golf is delayed by another day seems less important. Besides the weather prediction for tomorrow is for a dry day, at least until tea time.

Thursday

They say that the secret to great comedy, is timing. It's also the secret to a great many other things.

This morning dawned bright and early (anyone that takes a dog with them will know why it was early) and through the morning an eagle eye was kept on the sky. Weather predictions were for a dry day but with light showers promised for late afternoon. At 1:00pm, I paid ten whole pounds for nine holes. At 1:05pm, while I was on the first tee putting my shoes on, the first rain drops fell. At 2:00pm the first rumble of thunder could be heard. Now at 3:00pm long after I have finished it's still raining, great timing indeed!

Is it true that you can legally shoot weather men when they get it wrong ?

As for the course, despite the rain, I enjoyed it. On average, I dropped a shot on each hole, which for me wasn't bad at all. Considering the technical difficulty, the weather and the fact that I had never played it before. Not bad at all.

So it's back to the RV, an attack on a half bottle of Southern Comfort and the start of a new book. Not my ideal day, but not bad, all things considered.

Friday

Late, last night SWMBO and myself could be seen, frantically taking down our gazebo and storing it and it's contents under the van. The wind was picking up and confirmation by the weather man (I've put my gun away now) made it seem a wise decision. Plassey is in an exposed position, atop a hill and without a forest for protection, it gets the full effect of any weather. It meant a night with little sleep as the RV rocked on it's springs and the dog cowering on our bed. When he had his operation, a year ago, they must have removed more than just his cream crackers. Oh and another plea to dog owners. Pick up the mess, it's getting like a mine field out there.

Victor Meldrew is alive and well.

The mens ablutions have hand wash basins, the taps for these are of the kind that you push down the top for the water to flow. The water stops when the top of the tap returns to it's original height. Fine, push down on the cold water and it takes ages to switch of again, sometimes I have had to lift the top myself to stop the water being wasted. Do the same for the hot tap and the reverse happens. Push down on the top and before your hand gets under the tap, the water has stopped. Ever tried washing hands with only one hand? Try clapping with one hand, you get the same result.

This obviously benefits the site, they have less water to heat.

I can't believe it!

I might go in there late one night and just lean on the hot tap for half an hour.

Saturday

Good news on the tap front, either someone has read this diary or we have an employee with a talent for esp, here. The hot water hardly gushes into the basin, but it is an improvement. As I said, it's good news, mainly because both of us are making frequent visits to the on site ablutions. Something we ate or the change in water, we're not sure, but it's keeping us from straying too far.

Plassey has had quite a few more arrivals over the last 24 hours. From being half empty during the week, it's now nearly full. Should be a good test for the staff here.

Late yesterday, we both had similar feelings. Feelings that we have in 10 years of caravaning, never had before. We're thinking of going home early. Disappointment with the site and weather has bought this about. So we have agreed to leave it till Monday, if the forecast isn't for some good weather, we're off. That really will cap this holiday off.

Sunday

Started off well with high clouds and sunny intervals, not particularly warm though. We have been here a week now and a record has been broken. Never in our caravaning history have we failed to ignite the BBQ and have a really good, carbon based meal. Always, within the first week, the traditional sacrifice to the gods of fast cooked food has occurred. It won't happen today either, on the stroke of 12 the heavens opened again. Even now, I can't hear the motor racing on the TV, such is the noise of the rain on the roof. Running out of provisions too, looks like a carry out for our evening meal, it'll make a change though and get us off this camp site, for a short time.

Hoping the British drivers/teams, will do well at Silverstone.

I lied about the taps, only one has a feeble dribble, the other one is just useless.

I can't believe it!

Monday

Had a quick look at the new (still under construction) swimming pool. First observation is that it is quite nice, with new, patterned tiles and a very formal shape. Taking a closer look, I noticed the infirm/child unfriendly steps down into the water. If someone slips while getting in, its going to hurt. A gentle ramp would have been wiser. It's small too, 4 or 5 families would be a comfortable maximum, 6 or 7 becoming a squeeze. Get a rowdy set of teenagers in there and they will effect all users. Mind, Plassey will have a set of rules in place by then. Plassey are big on rules, despite what it says in their literature about having few rules, there are plenty. There's even a threat of a fine on one of their signs. Don't get me wrong, rules bring order, I live by the vast majority of them, but I don't want them brought to attention every time I walk my dog. Would a sign appealing to ones better nature be more appropriate, than one that threats?

No matter, we leave today, had enough of the bad weather and this place. Perhaps we have been spoiled at our previous sites, but I just can't help wondering how the Plassey came out top of of the best 100 sites in the UK.

Monday evening.

Re read (from the comfort of our house) just what I have written. Yes I sound like a whinging V. Meldrew, but I think a few of the comments still stand. So, I'm making it public on the forum, anyway.

I don't expect it to be there long, considering Plassey spends money on advertising within the mag, but what can you do?

Gotta admit, I thought it would take a lot more than that, for me to cut short a holiday, by almost a half and loose all that money, too.

Devastated? No, but close to it..........

Comments, if you dare?

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lol so it sounds like you are having a great British holiday!

Me I do not have the problem I am at home in the dry with all facilities but should have been in France for the last three weeks but have cancelled for the last two years as my wife is suffering from cancer so would have been happy to have been away regardless of the weather,that said Lol I feel for you after being at work all year looking forward to your holidays you can do without GB weather.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol

Just logged in and the first thing I find is a long winded moan, good for you I say, hope you felt better after it,like you we've had a couple of wet weekends lately, mud everywhere, and I mean everywhere,glastonbury without the music on grass at Longleat, but hey we've just got back from Broadway absolutely baking on Saturday,no rain until we unhitched the van on the drive at home, 2 weeks ago I wondered why we bothered, after this weekend I know why. Cheer up, the weather wil get better and you will be away again on a great site somewhere and you wil look back on The Plassey experience and laugh fondly, or maybe not.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Nice one, Lol.

I sympathise totally, and had a similar experience at Stowford Farm Meadows years ago, again I couldn`t get away fast enough, and was more than happy to forfeit a week-and-a-halfs fees just to escape.

Without doubt the most hateful holiday experience I`ve EVER had.

Never again!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OMG Lol, that's terrible. I'm so sorry it was a 'washout' - no pun intended.

Go back to work tomorrow, ring in sick on Monday morning and come away with us to Cornwall.

Lisa xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
15.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OMG Lol, that's terrible. I'm so sorry it was a 'washout' - no pun intended.

Go back to work tomorrow, ring in sick on Monday morning and come away with us to Cornwall.

Lisa xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
15.gif
I was with you until the "Go back to work" comment.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lol

I'm being serious here, if you would like to join us with or without the rv, please do.

Emma likes you and Gaye too (now that's a compliment and a half).

If you went back to work, it would show willing and then when you (and Gaye) rang in sick, they'd believe it. Trust me, I have experience of that sort of thing.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your efforts at getting a pair of baby sitters are quite endering, Lisa! Now, if you could complete that book of scams, you've been working on and get it into print, I have money waiting....

;o)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LOL

I can't believe you said that 'babysitters'. She's 15 and probably has a more active social life than we've had in 25 years!

We're off on Thursday, if you'd like to join us, I'm sure there wouldn't be any probs if you stopped in our van/awning. Bring Rocks' cage.

Diesel (Gaylord) will run away from Rocks and Daisy will rip his throat out but apart from that, it'll be fine.

I'll email the details to you in a bit.

No pressure.

Lisa

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Guess you wouldn't recommend the site then?

(last seen running away very quickly)!!!

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time, better luck next trip out.

Love to Gaye

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LOL

I can't believe you said that 'babysitters'. She's 15 and probably has a more active social life than we've had in 25 years!

We're off on Thursday, if you'd like to join us, I'm sure there wouldn't be any probs if you stopped in our van/awning. Bring Rocks' cage.

Diesel (Gaylord) will run away from Rocks and Daisy will rip his throat out but apart from that, it'll be fine.

I'll email the details to you in a bit.

No pressure.

Lisa
Truth be known, Emma probably has a more active social life than all of us combined, Lisa. Don't tell her I said babysitting, I'll deny it, say I meant Gaylord and watch as the fuse ignites.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Guess you wouldn't recommend the site then?

(last seen running away very quickly)!!!

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time, better luck next trip out.

Love to Gaye

Lolly x
Thanks Lolly. Not quite sure what for, but thanks none the less? Hows the hubby getting on?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - ........I'm counting down before it gets deleted.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience Lol. What it did have in common with other sites is moronic dog owners who don't give a shyte about other people and leave their dogs dumps where it's dropped. At least as the owner of 3 dogs I now have the right to complain about the jerks without being called a dog hater.

That's my rant over and I feel better already :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
25 seconds Robert, You sat there timing it? You really must have been quite dipleased, with the results of your computers labours.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
To think i spent 25 seconds before this page came up, what a waste of time.
Cheer up Robert, life can't be all that bad mate. Perhaps the weathers getting you down :O) Then again, depending on your age, 25 seconds could be a lot of time to waste.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
There is quite a lot to do around Wrexham, It's a shame there was no information.

Chirk Castle and Erddig are both NT

Just down the road Llangollen has a steam railway and you can hire a narrow boat for the day. A walk over the viaduct is an interesting experience.

Chester has a superb shopping centre, much of it under cover as well as historic bits to look at. There is always the Zoo as well.

Cheshire Oaks is one of the best "designer outlets" in Britain and not far from there you also have an aquarium where, apparently, if you want to you can take a swim with Sharks !

Not too much further and you are in Liverpool. Loads of things to do there including museums, art galleries, Beatles tours, etc etc Many of the attractions are free too !

You can even go on a pilgrimage and have a look at Big Ears in the Liverpool FC exhibition.

So there was no need to hide in the van all day after all !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts