Longleat CC site, anybody stayed there?

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi everyone, i cant deceide where to go in 2009 but longleat has always taken my fancy.

whats the area like?.

whats the drive like to it as in the road approach?.

what are the pitches like?.

what is the facilities like?.

whats there to do on site and in the area?.

how was your stay?

what do you do at night time?

thanks everyone

jo

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
For our point of view as we had not been back there since the 1960's is

very good

very good

very good, visit the grounds and house very good

very good

read,games, tv

The first time was with our two children now 45 and 50 so it was exciting for all, now as wrinkleys it was the same.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo

We stayed at Longleat for 7 nights 18 months ago. Great site and all you would expect from the CC.

It is especially good if you have young folks and dog(s) with you as you can access the Park by walking about 100 yards from the site entrance. From the site you can hear the seals at feeding time and the lions roaring all night! We only went out in the car once, and that was because we needed provisions.

We are booked to return again this year (July)and really looking forward to it.

Ann

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne

We went to longleat in July for 8 nights. It was the highlight of our year. The area is pretty, Frome the nearest town is decent with a big Asda. The pitches are all fantastic, you cant go wrong, facilities up to usual cc standard.

At night we wandered round the grounds of longleat either walking or on bikes. The kids made loads of friends so we had wonderful evenings relaxing in the awning listening to the seals. I cannot recommend this site highly enough. We also had a day trip to Bath. Had hoped to do Cheddar caves but never got round to it cos so happy to just relax on site.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne,

Been there twice since it was re-furbished a few years ago. It is one of our favourites.

whats the area like?. Lovely country - good for walking, some interesting towns and villages in reach of a car ride. Three very good pubs in reach of a long walk from the site (different directions).

whats the drive like to it as in the road approach?. Wow factor as you wind through the Longleat estate and past the front door of the house. One of the longer approaches to a site that you will meet.

what are the pitches like?. Standard Caravan Club. Lots of hardstandings.

what is the facilities like?. Standard modernd Caravan Club, including heated floors in the facility blocks, which is one of the reasons we like it for a winter break.

whats there to do on site and in the area?. You are inside the grounds of Longleat so walking and cycling are good. The Longleat attractions are available at extra cost of course.

how was your stay? Very good on both occasions.

what do you do at night time? I'm afraid that is a private matter between Sue and me.

Cheers

Mike

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
mike i dont want to know now what you and sue do at night lol. i bet my craig is jealous lucas our youngest sleeps in the front of the van so thats why we go to sleep at night if you know what i mean lol.

ive gotta convince craig now

thanks

jo

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
mike i dont want to know now what you and sue do at night lol. i bet my craig is jealous lucas our youngest sleeps in the front of the van so thats why we go to sleep at night if you know what i mean lol.

ive gotta convince craig now

thanks

jo
not to sleep but to go to longleat

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
It is a great place to stay lots to see and do. One thing DO not take your car through the monkey pen. The little darlings can strip a car in 30 seconds and have the parts on e.Bay even quicker.

Apr 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne

We spent half term there in October, its one of my favourite sites, lots to do. You can walk from the site into the park. We bought a passport ticket which saves you money if you intend to see all longleat has to offer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo.

I reply to your question what are the lions like at night,they're reasonably quiet,depends sometimes when the mating season is!!! nothing to worry about.A MUST is to see the Hippo's they usually show up when the visitors have gone home(after about 6.30pmish)they are massive and of course the gorilla's on the island.Its a hell of a place don't forget the trip on the buz(ex Midland Red)Enjoy.Jimx

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne, we're here! Been busy with Christmas but now starting to think about 2009 hols.

You're right, we went to Longleat for 6 nights at October half term and it was fantastic. As posted above, the drive to the site, although very long from the entrance, is truly magnificent. Where else in the UK would you look down over wonderful landscaped gardens to see rhinos grazing?

We used our Tesco vouchers to buy our Longleat passports and it only cost us

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
claire and rob, been waiting for your reply thanks so much. i must get craig to read the replys now to try and convince him we must go to longleat.

fingers crossed hey

thanks again

have a good new year and maybe see you there

jo-anne xx

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
We went to Longleat a couple of years ago and intend to go back when we get the chance. We loved it and the fact that you could walk to the attractions from the site. We spent ages in the maze in the blazing sunshine and just couldn't find the way to the middle.

If you intend to travel in the area the National Trust gardens at Stourhead are stunning.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Jo-Anne, Been last 4 years, last 2 with 7 year old grandson. Asked him where he wanted us to take him next summer he insisted again on Longlete so have already booked. If u want to go in peak dates get it booked now! This must be one of the most popular sites. Agree about the monkeys, stripped my Mondeo...

Take the diversion now and miss the monkeyjungle......but don't miss the maze, youll be there for days.....

Apr 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne

Have a look at the Longleat website before you go we had a look two days before we due on the site, the passport tickets had 15% discount.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Joanne

We have stopped at Longleat cc site a number of times usually over August BH on route home. One of the best cc sites. Very popular. We're returning again this year but not as a stop over this time.

Pitches are good and flat. Follow directions by cc, you will see cc signs as you drive through the grounds of Longleat house. Its worth getting a passport for Longleat house and attractions. For anyone with special needs Longleat has some good access information. I think they also do concessions for carers of people/ children with disability, worth checking out. Longleat is busy during school holidays, we suggest you plan what you want to do to avoid long queues for the train and boat rides.

There are supermarkets at Frome and Warminster, easy driving from the site.

Annette

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jo- Anne,

Longleat is a great site and maintained to the usual CC high standards. We've been there twice, for long weekends during the past 18 months and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The first time we went there (which I think was towards the end of May) the male California Sea Lions (residents of the Lord Bath's Half Mile Lake) barked continuously day and night. This is what the males apparently do during the mating season to impress the females. As the lake is behind the site, depending on the wind direction, it was at times a little loud but you got used to it.

As Claire and Rob mentioned the Tesco Clubcard vouchers can save you a small fortune. The first time we went we did all the Longleat House / Safari Park attractions during the course of the weekend. The second time we went (last Summer) we only went to 'Adventure Castle' playground as our children absolutely adored the place. It's about 3 mins walk from the site and has climbing frames, rope bridges, tree houses, giant slides, trampolines and best of all a 'Splash Zone' where the children can get soaked by jets of water that dance out of the ground.

The bus stop for the Safari Tour Bus is also just outside the site.

A tour of Lord Bath's House is worthwhile as is the walk through the gardens. In the Great Hall within the house there are a couple sets of prehistoric Deer antlers which are absolutely huge! I can't imagine how big the owners of the antlers most have been!

If you decide to take the Safari tour, by car, then think twice about driving through the monkey enclosure. They are little gits! You drive around laughing at others whose cars are being surfed by the monkeys whilst they strip rubber bits from the cars. I thought that I had got away without being vandalised until when I came to use my back windscreen washers two weeks later! They had pulled out the nozzle chewed through the pipe but expertly replaced the nozzle so that their handy work went unnoticed. The subsequent leak through the roof lining was a royal pain in the posterior!

The site is a great venue and well worth a visit.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts