Looking for Guidance on going to France for the First time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are looking at going to France for the first time, And with the van. We live up in the North East, near Darlington. The park we are looking at is Parc de Alicourts Just South of Orleans, down the A10/A71. According to AutoRoute it is 477.9Km from Calais. Questions

1. Would you stop overnight in Blighty?

2. What time Ferry?

3. Would you stay over in france prior to driving down to site?

I Appreciate alot of this is down to timings but Guidance from Old hands would be greatfuly recieved.

Thank you for your time

Debbie and Martin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin - we live in Ilkley, West Yorkshire - not that far from you, and go twice to France each year. Generally we like to set off after lunch on Friday - get an early evening ferry - and spend our first night in France on the other side, about half an hour away from Calais, often at Chateau de Ganspette (ask for a pitch in the newer part, which has large pitches, easy to manoeuvre into and out off, and a good toilet block. We then set off early next morning. Usually our next stop is about the same distance from Calais as yours, and this means by Saturday night you are on-site, awning up, with a glass of vin rouge in your hand.

If you set off early afternoon you avoid almost all the traffic blackspots, except, occasionally, the M25 of course. If you book Dover/Calais one advantage is that the ferry operators are very aware of traffic problems, and just put you on the next crossing - something to think about if you ever consider longer crossings where there are only two or three sailings per day.

I suppose you could class us as 'very' old hands - we've been doing France for 25 years - and still find new places to see! We've tried almost all timings, and find this the best.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I am also going to France for the first time in Aug, we have booked parc de alicourts. I live in south wales and are travelling down to Hawthorn Farm in kent and staying one night then getting the 6.00am Ferry from dover and travelling straight to the site. I envisage it taking approx 6 hours.

On the way back we are getting the midnight ferry and then travelling straight back without stopping.

Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin,

We live near Stockton and, being the only driver, I go for the overnight stop in the U/K going south. Somewhere around Cambridge. This allows for a later, last minute panic free, start from home. ( Haughton Mill C.C. site has a nice early morning riverside walk which quite sets you up to face the M25 - the London orbital traffic jam. ) I also stay overnight near the ferry port to get a good nights sleep since we needed to get away early to take advantage of the cheaper, earlier fares. Also it gives you more driving time over there to get to wherever you are going - remember to allow for Continental time adjustment. Having said all that I am retired so extra days either side of the holiday are no problem nor is midweek travel.

The first time we went abroad I drove south till I felt I had done enough then consulted Alan Rogers book and found a site that way; Collins 5 miles to the inch France Road Atlas being a great help. We have also stayed on sites belonging to the Les Castels chain ( www.les-castels.com ) who will book ahead for you if you wish to stay at another site in the group. La Bien Assise, very handy for Calais, is very popular for the return trip and boasts an excellent restaurant for a final end of holiday meal. Not the cheapest but what a way to end the trip!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin

As I see it it depends upon the time constraints of you holiday, if you can get the extra fiday off then Val's idea is a good one. However if you are like me and have to work until 4.30 on the friday then you coud set off at tea time go to dover stay at dover (CC site atBlack Horse Farm is twenty mins from the port and they late arrival and early sety off facilities), get a ferry in the morning and still be at your site by Sat tea time. The only other constraint will be what time you get a ferry. Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin I'd stay over in UK & get an early crossing to France - you'll easily do your 300 miles or so in France as their towing speeds are higher and there's no congestion, so you should be at your site by late afternoon - have a great holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
martin, we stay at cc blackhorse farm, breakfast on the early ferry then drive 300-500 miles easily. best tips are travel on sunday as no lorries on motor way & fill petrol tank often as not so many filling station in france as in england they also close at 12.30 but on the motorway open allday....pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts