M.p.g. Cost of motorhoming miles per gallon

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi all I’m looking to buy. M.h. I don’t want a 3 / 4 litre beast just a small affair with a little extra room. An end lounge with a wet room so my wife can shower while sitting as she is disabled . 2.2. 2.4 lt would fit the bill ...but the question on my mind How much is it gonna cost me to run . I’ve seen a few articles about mpg But most people Just seem to disregard it. I have seen a few tables made showing varying amounts Looking through the ads on gumtree summer for boxers 2.198 actually give mpg up to 38 extra Urban and an average of 34 mpg these figures seem very acceptable . Obviously figures will vary with weight or lack of it . Generally what might you expect from a vehicle 3500kg 24 foot long ... A lot of drivers seem to poodle along at 60 to 70 mph ....from a personal point of View I rarely travel at that speed sticking to 50 or less most of the time . That’s In me car last long trip I done i got around 65 mpg in the citron grand Picasso just wondering if you have any views on it colin.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Very hard to predict, as we all have individual driving styles, but if you're fairly gentle you'll probably manage the upper 20s. Any better would be a bonus, as motorhomes carry a lot of weight and aren't very aerodynamic!

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello Colin
I'd bet on something like 28mpg with occasional dips to 25 and with a bit of luck, the odd trip touching 30mpg. My 2013 A Class 130bhp manages 32mpg on cross country routes at speeds of around 50mph. If I go over the Pennines, it will be 25mpg going up hill. The reason motorhomers don't worry too much about fuel consumption is that the big cost is depreciation; mileage is modest.
Last year, we spent 10 weeks away on sites, did 7,000 miles, and the all in cost for the year was just over £7,000 [over 50% of that was depreciation, under 20% was fuel]. It can be done much cheaper than that and you can also spend much more! Most base vehicles are Fiat Ducatos.
You will be hard pressed to get a 24' motorhome and stick within 3500kg when fully loaded. Please spend time understanding loading margins if you have not already done so.
Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts