M&S Tyres

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have for a few years fitted Mud and Snow tyres to my motor all year round. Using CL's seemed a a compromise when they are muddy.

Just read that they should only be used in winter??

Any Ideas?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have for a few years fitted Mud and Snow tyres to my motor all year round. Using CL's seemed a a compromise when they are muddy.

Just read that they should only be used in winter??

Any Ideas?
That’s absolute rubbish. They can be used all year around, but all seasons are probably better for road use as they deal with snow and ice far better than M&S. Yiu can get “ aggressive” all seasons. I use Bridgestone Weather Control.

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I changes from my Hankook K 115 AS original tyres, very good. 42k down to 3 mm. I went to Knokian Weatherproofs as we were travelling to Switzerland twice a year.
I am now Hankook K117A they are not rated for 3 peak, BUT I have seen a report where the came tops for "Wet Grass" and I must admit they are very good. First report I have ever seen with that Criteria, very similar tread pattern to other Dunlop, Micheliens etc but slightly more snipes. Slightly, lower price, through Black circles .
Very pleased with them. Good in wet and dry on normal roads. Made in Hungary.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Tyres marked "M&S" are simply marketed for mud/snow conditions and there's no specific standard for them - in my opinion is best ignored.

Winter tyres are marked with the 3PMSF symbol and meet the specific requirements for winter tyres - all the better All-Season tyres are marked 3PMSF and can be used all year round.

Except for specific conditions in high altitude areas, All-Seasons are well suited to UK climate conditions - I use Vredestein Quatrac Pro.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tyres marked "M&S" are simply marketed for mud/snow conditions and there's no specific standard for them - in my opinion is best ignored.

Winter tyres are marked with the 3PMSF symbol and meet the specific requirements for winter tyres - all the better All-Season tyres are marked 3PMSF and can be used all year round.

Except for specific conditions in high altitude areas, All-Seasons are well suited to UK climate conditions - I use Vredestein Quatrac Pro.

What stops 3PMSF All seasons being used in high altitude areas? Hutch used them for his trips to Switzerland.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What stops 3PMSF All seasons being used in high altitude areas? Hutch used them for his trips to Switzerland.
Nothing - I was trying to make the point that 3PMSF All-Seasons are suitable for all year use in most of the UK although higher altitude areas like the Cairngorms would justify using full winter tyres.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Since having our car the tyres that are still on are Hankook Venus S1 Evo 2 SUV K117A have given me great service so far

However you do not state the mileage they have done. We get about 20000 miles out of our Continentals on the Jeep however I replace the tyres before they get down to the 3mm mark. If left to wear down to legal limit, I probably could get another 10k or more out of them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I replace my tyres at around the 3mm depth, the original Hankook Ventus K115 done 42k miles. The Knokian Weatherproofs down to 4mm and had done 34k miles, now on the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 K117A. Only done 5k miles on those. I do swop tyres front to rear when they are 2mm difference and back again until ready to change again. The Hankook and Knokians start with 8mm of tread.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I replace my tyres at around the 3mm depth, the original Hankook Ventus K115 done 42k miles. The Knokian Weatherproofs down to 4mm and had done 34k miles, now on the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 K117A. Only done 5k miles on those. I do swop tyres front to rear when they are 2mm difference and back again until ready to change again. The Hankook and Knokians start with 8mm of tread.
On my previous Jeep GC I had 17" Michelins Latitudes fitted and seem to recall that at about 20k they had plenty of tread still left. Good grip in wet weather. I wanted them on my current Jeep, but not available in 20".

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On my previous Jeep GC I had 17" Michelins Latitudes fitted and seem to recall that at about 20k they had plenty of tread still left. Good grip in wet weather. I wanted them on my current Jeep, but not available in 20".
Annoyingly, for me, the Michelin Latitude Cross don't have the 3PMSF qualification - the Latitude Alpin does but that would mean running summer and winter sets.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What is 3PMSF qualification?
Three peaks mountain snowflake symbol. It means that the tyres can legally be used where winter tyres are mandated, even though they may be all seasons. I was surprised when in Poland at the number of cars that had pure winter tyres fitted even in summer.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What is 3PMSF qualification?
The Three Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol (3PMSF) is the winter tyre qualification. The link is for commercial vehicles but the information is the same.

In 2012, the EU regulation introduced the Alpine or Three Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) sidewall symbol to show a tyre had passed certain tests related to performance on snow covered roads. Tyres carrying the 3PMSF marking provide proven increased traction in comparison to a standard reference tyre.
Since the drive axle is the key one for traction of a commercial vehicle, the 3PMSF marking on the drive axle tyres is of high importance. This recommendation is valid especially for the single drive axle of commercial vehicles above 44 tons.
Today an increasing number of local authorities consider Three Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) tyres mandatory for trucks as these tyres provide significantly better winter performance on snow.
500_ms-947765.jpg
Previously, the only indication that a tyre was designed for tougher conditions was the M+S or M&S marking standing for ‘Mud and Snow’. However, this indicates that only the tread pattern is designed for such conditions and there are no requirements related to actual performance. The M+S label is not subject to a defined test procedure.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
However you do not state the mileage they have done. We get about 20000 miles out of our Continentals on the Jeep however I replace the tyres before they get down to the 3mm mark. If left to wear down to legal limit, I probably could get another 10k or more out of them.
Well so far it done 16,000 since new

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully this thread wil not follow weather reports and fuel prices and just give a long listing of tread depth re mileage 😱. The variation wrt car type, power, tyre compound,and drivers style make it meaningless. Whereas at least weather reports and fuel prices are definitive.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two Sorentos back BF Goodrich All Terrain were great in the mud and grass, but noisy on the road.
Toureg now on Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5. They work very well in the Highlands😉😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Two Sorentos back BF Goodrich All Terrain were great in the mud and grass, but noisy on the road.
Toureg now on Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5. They work very well in the Highlands😉😉
What’s this thing about The Highlands. The last time I visited the roads had tarmac, a bit narrow in places but lots of liitle lay-byes marked with posts, caravan sites had tarmac or gravel roads and grass or hard pitches. So what’s so different about the Highlands as far as tyres are concerned, compared to other areas of UK or Europe. Scottish mystique?😂

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What’s this thing about The Highlands. The last time I visited the roads had tarmac, a bit narrow in places but lots of liitle lay-byes marked with posts, caravan sites had tarmac or gravel roads and grass or hard pitches. So what’s so different about the Highlands as far as tyres are concerned, compared to other areas of UK or Europe. Scottish mystique?😂
The A93 gets up to 2200 feet,above the snow line most winters - and like the rain in Scotland, snow is heavy when it does fall, and then it freezes.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think the compounds that make up the Tarmac is a rougher grade, which make rain water run away quicker and give more grip to tyres and of course wears them out quicker

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually my post was TIC, but even in the 1970 and early 1980s we lived in Dartmoor and there was no such thing as 4wd except for LR and a few quirky cars yet my rwd Marina estate got us to work everyday. Same as my Skoda Estelle dud when we lived in Cumbria. I recall in December 1981 returning from Leicester to Bath in a snow storm such that only M5 lane 3 was passable. On the M4 we made it to the Bath A46 junction but the road into Bath had been closed. Even the mighty snow ploughs were being dug out by JCBs. That same nigh HM’s convoy decided to stop over in a pub at Old Sodbury on account of the conditions.

Despite all of the modern traction aids, 4wd AS tyres if the vehicles in front of you are stuck you won’t be going anywhere fast. And that’s an all to common occurrence these days.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Actually my post was TIC, but even in the 1970 and early 1980s we lived in Dartmoor and there was no such thing as 4wd except for LR and a few quirky cars yet my rwd Marina estate got us to work everyday. Same as my Skoda Estelle dud when we lived in Cumbria. I recall in December 1981 returning from Leicester to Bath in a snow storm such that only M5 lane 3 was passable. On the M4 we made it to the Bath A46 junction but the road into Bath had been closed. Even the mighty snow ploughs were being dug out by JCBs. That same nigh HM’s convoy decided to stop over in a pub at Old Sodbury on account of the conditions.

Despite all of the modern traction aids, 4wd AS tyres if the vehicles in front of you are stuck you won’t be going anywhere fast. And that’s an all to common occurrence these days.
Going back even further, it wasn't uncommon for cars to be fitted with "Town & Country" tyres on their rear axles in rural areas, these had more aggressive tread patterns akin to modern All Terrain tyres.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Going back even further, it wasn't uncommon for cars to be fitted with "Town & Country" tyres on their rear axles in rural areas, these had more aggressive tread patterns akin to modern All Terrain tyres.
That’s what my Marina estate had fitted. All four wheels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts