Make/Model advice for newbies please

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Paulsy.
I enjoyed every minute of my time as a pro driver.
I doubt if it would be as enjoyable these days, with GPS tracking, tough deadlines and congested roads.
I tend to tow the caravan at weekends when roads aren't so busy if possible 🙂

Reactions: paulsy69
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree with some of what you say Parksy but not all of it , can I ask if you have driven an artic ?fully loaded? Towing a caravan and driving an artic is poles apart , I bet there are more caravan accidents than hgv accidents on the roads , as for snaking most times like you say is down to poor driving poor loading and inexperience
My point exactly!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There are far more artic accidents than caravan ones firstly down to the sheer numbers of them and the mileage covered. Possibly caravans have more per mile but I am not aware of any statistics.

Reactions: RogerL
Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Hi guys… we’re about to purchase our first ever caravan. We’re looking for a 4 berth 2014 onwards with a fixed double bed and modern interior.

So far we’ve liked the look of:-

•Lunar Clubman SE
•Bailey Unicorn Valencia
•Coachman 575

We have about £15000-£17000

All thoughts/advise would be very much appreciated on quality, common faults etc.

Thanks in advance
Ollie
I'm in the same position as you, Ollie. Like you, i fancied a Lunar and now find they are no more! Like you, I like the look of a Bailey BUT i have now been told N number of times that they suffer from damp more than other brands.
touch choices !

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same position as you, Ollie. Like you, i fancied a Lunar and now find they are no more! Like you, I like the look of a Bailey BUT i have now been told N number of times that they suffer from damp more than other brands.
touch choices !
Hi Steve what about a Adria Caravan they appear to have a good reputation for long evity.

Reactions: stevebill
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The big difference if a more modern caravan gets water ingress is that all, or a lot, of the materials now used are impermeable to water damage. I knew Bailey alutech did have some problems with condensation running down and affecting the board flooring in the corners , but I thought that had been solved. So whilst water ingress could be upsetting its potential to do damage should be less, especially if detected early.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My point exactly!
What do you mean your point exactly? So have you driven an artic hgv or not ?
The time has come to draw a line under the discussion about the differences between driving articulated lorries and towing a caravan.
This thread asked for advice about the choice of caravans and their relative pros and cons.
It's not about commercial vehicles.
If there's nothing constructive and on topic to add, scroll on by

Reactions: audiorob
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys… we’re about to purchase our first ever caravan. We’re looking for a 4 berth 2014 onwards with a fixed double bed and modern interior.

So far we’ve liked the look of:-

•Lunar Clubman SE
•Bailey Unicorn Valencia
•Coachman 575

We have about £15000-£17000

All thoughts/advise would be very much appreciated on quality, common faults etc.

Thanks in advance
Ollie
I’m going to support the idea of buying from a dealer unless you are pretty confident regarding both assessment of the van and able to fix unforeseen faults yourself that will inevitably arise in a s/h purchase. There are lots of things that go wrong with caravans. Dealers can be pricey, they are factoring in repair costs for faults they know the customer will find during the warranty period. Our dealer earned their keep in this respect, replacing a skylight and a window and some catches that cracked as the older van came back into use (old plastic gets brittle, multiple failures may occur if a little used van comes into use). They would have been costly replacements. Happy to mention them as a customer, no connection, as they were great, no resistance to fixing problems at all,

Steve

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’m going to support the idea of buying from a dealer unless you are pretty confident regarding both assessment of the van and able to fix unforeseen faults yourself that will inevitably arise in a s/h purchase. There are lots of things that go wrong with caravans. Dealers can be pricey, they are factoring in repair costs for faults they know the customer will find during the warranty period. Our dealer earned their keep in this respect, replacing a skylight and a window and some catches that cracked as the older van came back into use (old plastic gets brittle, multiple failures may occur if a little used van comes into use). They would have been costly replacements. Happy to mention them as a customer, no connection, as they were great, no resistance to fixing problems at all,

Steve
When we rejected our caravan due to numerous faults, it was the Caravan Company that bought it and had on their forecourt within 2-3 days. Just saying. :D

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
When we rejected our caravan due to numerous faults, it was the Caravan Company that bought it and had on their forecourt within 2-3 days. Just saying. :D
Fair comment. The issues we had were predictable. Someone had dobbed some silicone on a small crack near the hinge side of the skylight. And on cracks on the other window. Could have been anyone but…. Failure of both in use inevitable. Tow electrics terrible, being me I just did those, wanted a 13 pin anyway. So you could get the impression they only fix what they have to, primarily a customer driven process. Rather like the deal with a brand new caravan where the customer seems responsible for the QC 😀. Later discussions did strongly indicate that they don’t like unsatisfied customers though, absolutely no quibble about the repairs which is why I mentioned them. All s/h caravans are going to break? It’s whether they fix them?

Steve

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our rejected caravan required a new front panel and about another £5k repairs to be done. All manufacturing and dealer issues. At 11 months it was still within the 30 day window believe it or not!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As an alternative purchase strategy, If you have any family or close friends who caravan, I'm sure they would be happy to go with you to look at caravans, and their experience may catch things that a novice might not.

A further possible option if you have any neighbours with a caravan, caravanning might be an ice breaker subject to make contact with them and to see if they might help you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts