MCB keeps tripping off

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I week or 2 ago I posted re a problem with the mains MCB tripping on my 1997 Avondale Landranger.

The problem item is a Hagar MCB rated at 10 amps. I have checked all the sockets with a Rapitest socket wiring tester and they are all tested okay. I have, also, tried, running each of the mains equipment items in turn, ie, heater, water heater to see if it is a problem with any of these. Again no problem.

There is no problem with the main RCD or lighting MCB tripping. I suspect that the mechanical aspect of the the MCB has become weak as the MCB still tripped with the mains RCD off and there no obvious problem which is causing it to trip - it sometimes stays on okay!! However I do want to get this sorted before the caravan summer season starts lest I end up unable to use mains electricity.

I am a reasonably proficient DIYer who has experience of some domestic re-wiring. I do not however have experience of working with MCBs.

(1) How easy would it be for me to change the MCB? Is it just screwed or clipped into plac? It is fitted into into the large distribution board for 12v and mains electricity.

(2) Is the Hagar MCB likely to be a standard domestic item obtainable from my local electrical wholesaler or is it likely to be specially made for caravans?

(3) If it is not advsable for me to do this job would a domestic electrician be able to carry out the work and what would be a reasonable charge. My caravan dealer admits he has no equipment for testing the MCB and could only order and replace it - at a cost of £50

Thanks in advance for all advice received.

Regards

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tim, see replies:

How easy would it be for me to change the MCB? Is it just screwed or clipped into plac? It is fitted into into the large distribution board for 12v and mains electricity.

[It is very easy. Make sure no power is connected to the van and remove the cover of the unit. Unscrew the clamp screw at the top and remove the wire.Unscrew the clamp screw at the bottom to loosen it from the common Live real. The MCB will be clipped to a Din rail and there will be a clip to release it. look at the replacement and it will be obvious.

Replace in reverse order to above.]

(2) Is the Hagar MCB likely to be a standard domestic item obtainable from my local electrical wholesaler or is it likely to be specially made for caravans?

[The Hagar is a common item and local wholesaler will have one or a direct replacement. ]

(3) If it is not advsable for me to do this job would a domestic electrician be able to carry out the work and what would be a reasonable charge. My caravan dealer admits he has no equipment for testing the MCB and could only order and replace it - at a cost of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tim, see replies:

How easy would it be for me to change the MCB? Is it just screwed or clipped into plac? It is fitted into into the large distribution board for 12v and mains electricity.

[It is very easy. Make sure no power is connected to the van and remove the cover of the unit. Unscrew the clamp screw at the top and remove the wire.Unscrew the clamp screw at the bottom to loosen it from the common Live real. The MCB will be clipped to a Din rail and there will be a clip to release it. look at the replacement and it will be obvious.

Replace in reverse order to above.]

[The Hagar is a common item and local wholesaler will have one or a direct replacement. ]

(3) If it is not advsable for me to do this job would a domestic electrician be able to carry out the work and what would be a reasonable charge. My caravan dealer admits he has no equipment for testing the MCB and could only order and replace it - at a cost of

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts