Mile versus Kilometre

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The European Government are trying to dictate to us once again for us to do away with the mile and adopt the kilometre. Why should we bough to these idiots in Brussels. Could this be a furthe form of inflation by the back door such as decimal currency and metrication by weight?

The mile was derived from Roman times and translates from the Latin word meaning "thousand". It was calculated from the distance a soldier marched in a 1000 paces.

Every Roman road was marked with a milestone showing the distance from the start of the road and the distance tfrom the Temple of Saturn in Rome which was considered the exact centre of the empire. This gave rise to the saying "all roads lead to Rome".

In medieval times in Britain a variety of different measures were applied to the term, the most common being 5000 feet. In 1592 Parliament changed this to a standard 5280 feet - a figure which could be divided by yards or furlongs without creating fractions. a mile is equivilent to 1.6km.

From the above the mile is therefore an European measure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Steve but I think unfortunately we are too committed now to leave "IT". As far as the definition of it the assumptions in my opinion are correct - "IT" is c**p.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The chain is a long establishe imperial unit of measurement and is often still referred to and used in land surveying work. If my memory serves me correct 1 chain is the length of a cricket pitch between stumps.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
My chain is 5' 1inch tall weighs 7 stone and tells me what to do all the time and is usually found round my neck, its called a Wife.

G

Colin,

I thought the 'chain' was derived from the Navy and was the length of an anchor chain and came out around 22 yards. I do agree the railway still uses them mainly becuse the tracks were laid out so long ago, and done very well indeed by the Victorians.

Also on the subject of useless facts, the actual measurement used by the French to make the kilomter is incorrect, and evidently it was an Englishman who discovered that one, and I am Scots so who says we are not impartial??

The subject of changing the road signs has come up before but was dropped once the costs were established. However, only a total idiot such as Kinnokio would think it was a good idea, he is after totally supported (and his family) by the Euro gravy train.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Colin,

I thought the 'chain' was derived from the Navy and was the length of an anchor chain and came out around 22 yards. I do agree the railway still uses them mainly becuse the tracks were laid out so long ago, and done very well indeed by the Victorians.

Also on the subject of useless facts, the actual measurement used by the French to make the kilomter is incorrect, and evidently it was an Englishman who discovered that one, and I am Scots so who says we are not impartial??

The subject of changing the road signs has come up before but was dropped once the costs were established. However, only a total idiot such as Kinnokio would think it was a good idea, he is after totally supported (and his family) by the Euro gravy train.
A cricket pitch is 22 yards

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Having just toured the UK with a Continental outfit I must say it was always a bind to have to work out my speeds and distances in metric equivalents. I can understand the argument against changing over on the basis of cost but somehow Canada did it years ago and they had an extensive road network to change over, as well.

What is very noticeable though is that journeys seem to drag on so much more when distances are given in miles.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure if the same problem existed in France the EU would pay for the changeover but we aren't French, thankfully ;O) If the EU had a level playing field it wouldn't be so bad but it doesn't. Where is the sense in the amount of money poured into supporting French farmers only for them to export their produce here to undercut our farmers? Perhaps I'm missing the point somewhere.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not that botherred about miles or K's - I can work in both.

What I would object to is if anyone suggested I could not have a "pint" of Ringwood Ale.

I can feel myself getting all hot and botherred just at the very thought!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site

What I would object to is if anyone suggested I could not have a "pint" of Ringwood Ale.

Whats wrong with a litre of Ringwood?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Nothing wrong with the volume - it is just the sound of it. It is like MPG.

Quoting a cars petrol consumption has to be done in adverts by law. The fact that "BY LAW" this has to be quoted in Miles Per Gallon in all adverts makes a nonsence of the fact that "BY LAW" petrol has to be sold in litres!

Why little old ladies have to buy their Fruit & Veg in Kilos now when they were brought up on lb's & Oz's just indicates to me that the people who think up these silly rules have had some kind of surgical personality bi-pass.

G

That is probably next on the hit list of the controllers in Number 10. After all the Gill disappeared, now you get a 'dram' in 25ml or 50 ml quantities, and even the latter is discouraged on health and safety grounds, in case you fall over.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In case anyone has not seen my reply to LB above - does anyone else think it totally bizarre that garages are not allowed to sell fuel in gallons any more - it has to be litres "BY LAW", but when you look at a car advert, the obligatiory fuel consumption data, that has to be included "BY LAW" is quoted in MPG!

So why isn't my 83 year old mother in law able to buy her veg in lb's & oz's?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We could try Kilometers per Litre but then no one would have a clue what the data meant. It would keep the pointy heads happy though!

Any more room on that gravy tarin to Europe?

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
In case anyone has not seen my reply to LB above - does anyone else think it totally bizarre that garages are not allowed to sell fuel in gallons any more - it has to be litres "BY LAW", but when you look at a car advert, the obligatiory fuel consumption data, that has to be included "BY LAW" is quoted in MPG!

Where do you buy your Ringwood?

I buy mine in Mudeford or Chrictchurch

G

Sorry Clive, Kinnockio has already bagged all the seats for himself and his brood.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Kilometers per litre is the Japanese standard, Clive, and strictly speaking, that is not a measure of fuel consumption but of specific fuel consumption.

The European standard is litres per 100 kilometers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

The Foresters Arms - out past Stucton and at the top of Blissford Hill - excellent pint.

If you are out that way do try their Steak & Mushrom/kidney pie - fabulous food.

When they have it their Venison pie is superb.

Good C&CC site in the next field!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts