Mouse on the loose!

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Typically on our last weekend of the season we found we had had a mouse in our seasonally pitched van!

Before putting to bed for the season we emptied all cupboards etc for signs of the whereabouts of our unwanted guest. After leaving morsels of food strategicaly placed it seems it may of left, but to be certain we have left traps in the van whilst it is in storage.

I now have the onerous task of a 160 mile round trip just to check for the little blighter!!!!

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to stop further visits of our unwanted visitor?

Thanks

G

Borrow Harry Potter's owl. Mind you you need a big tray on the floor.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
true tory. mate of nine in motor racing tells story of rv motorhome that was not used for a year or so. when the team opened it the guy vaulted a fence due to the smell as he slammed the door! Mr Mouse had moved in the wife and all their relatives,pest control gassed the vehicle and took out ov er * sacks of dead mice. nothing was lef of the inside of a 40' winnebago type rv.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew

I recently posted a reply on this subject, but you may just have missed it - so here goes.

We knew the site had problems with both rats and mice, having seen many squashed on the site roads, and worried about storing our caravan. Then I heard about mothballs! Over the late autumn, winter and spring months we left mothballs hanging at each corner, under the floor lockers. We placed them in the mesh bags used for certain washing machine tablets!!! We found mothballs hard to find but eventually bought some from a small ironmongers store. We also invested a couple of condensation kits (purchased from the local caravan accessory shop). These worked remarkable well, but would advise that they are stood in/on a waterproof dish/tray, as the amount of condensation is alarming.

We had no trouble at all with our 'van and had no uninvited squatters. Nor did the two vans parked closeby, but others did!

I would suggest you don't overdo it with the mothballs. It takes ages to get rid of the smell (1 or 2 mothballs per bag would work - I put 5 in each!).

Hope this works as well for you. Best wishes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All the above echoes my experiences with moth balls and little mesh bags and I too would stress the problems of finding moth balls. When you do find some buy in a couple of years supply. They seem to be getting about as rare as starting handles !

Mike E

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure which would be worse, the mice or the stink of mothballs. They always remind me of old ladied with fox furs.

Surely there must be a better way of keeping the little b****rs out.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
I can vouch for the mothballs in a static.We have a static parked on a farm in Scotland for the last 15 years we used 4/5 mothballs over winter in cupboards, placed on the floor near vents. To date we have not seen any mouse damage.

Could be the local Stout helps of course. Come to think of it there are Barn owls flying up and down a nearby hedge.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
I can vouch for the mothballs in a static.We have a static parked on a farm in Scotland for the last 15 years we used 4/5 mothballs over winter in cupboards, placed on the floor near vents. To date we have not seen any mouse damage.

Could be the local Stout helps of course. Come to think of it there are Barn owls flying up and down a nearby hedge.
OOPS!!! Should read Stoat not Stout! Sorry, although there is a pub just up the road......

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

The stout idea sounds good

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
andrew i noticed in your post you mentioned emptying the cupboards once youd atracted your mouse.if youve left any foodstuffs in the van previously thats most likely whats attracted it.really you shouldnt leave any foods in your van especially sweet foods.when you leave your van you should also make sure the fridge and cooker are clean and pour some disinfectant down each plughole.and try to locate the mouses point of entry and eliminate it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Same problem here - put down mouse traps and got three in two days - since then no more.

Have looked arround but cannot see where they get in - but having seen TV programs on how they can squeeze thro' the tinyest of spaces that is not surprizing.

Like the sound of using mothballs - would not have thought of that. Will try it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts