Mud Flaps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are there Mud Flaps available for caravans. I know some of the new ones come with them already fitted but can't seem to find a supplier

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
This may be a stupid question but what, may I ask, is the point of mudflaps on caravans? Generally the wheels are so far forward from the back end that I can't imagine what sort of purpose they would fulfil other than perhaps to protect a spare wheel carrier if one is fitted behind. But I doubt whether mudflaps will be much help there either.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I asked a simple question, have you ever looked underneath your caravan, you can see what the spray and grit from travelling does to the wood. Every little helps Have a look and then tell me

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
OK, I understand your intent now but I doubt whether mudflaps would have the desired effect. The spray will just be deflected to hit the underside of the caravan elsewhere. I would suggest a better alternative would be to treat the underside of the caravan with a new coating of underbody protection every couple of years or at least to check and repair any local damage with the same material.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carol, yes mudflaps are available. You can get them from the dealer, with the make of caravan on them if you wish. You can also buy car, rear wheel ones, from Halfords ( there are other car accessory shops) that are easily adapted. If you have a look around any dealer with a stock of vans you can see the various mounting methods and find the one best suited to your van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carol, yes mudflaps are available. You can get them from the dealer, with the make of caravan on them if you wish. You can also buy car, rear wheel ones, from Halfords ( there are other car accessory shops) that are easily adapted. If you have a look around any dealer with a stock of vans you can see the various mounting methods and find the one best suited to your van.
Thanks a lot Rayc for your answer much appreciated

May 21, 2008
Visit site
This may be a stupid question but what, may I ask, is the point of mudflaps on caravans? Generally the wheels are so far forward from the back end that I can't imagine what sort of purpose they would fulfil other than perhaps to protect a spare wheel carrier if one is fitted behind. But I doubt whether mudflaps will be much help there either.
What about stopping the floor getting pressure treated from tyre spray in the wet, and the natural bodily function deposits left by cattle and horses, it's pretty corrosive you know, let alone difficult to clean off.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You can get those astro turf type door mats from most hard ware shops. I use them and cut the shape to suit. These also act the same as the anti spray mud flaps you see on lorries. It keeps the back of our van much cleaner after a wet drive.

See the comment to Lutz and you'll see the other benifits to, without being to graphic !! ??

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Mud flaps are only going ro divert the pressure treatment to somewhere else on the underbody and as for cattle and horses, where on Earth do you take your caravan? Haven't seen many animals on the M5 lately.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts