new tax bands

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard

Assuming you are genuine and not one of the Numpty Anti Trolls that infect this Forum from time to time in there increasingly desperate bid to rid the world (well actually, just a few bits of Croyden it would seem) - I will answer your question sensibly. Apologies if you are genuine!

Never assume that Tax is logical but I think we can assume that the only way this government is going to tax high polluting cars is to select various emission bands.

That said, most 4x4's are no more polluting than any other vehicle - so choose one that suits your needs and enjoy!

As for a specific 4x4 tax - which is called for by the numpty Anti's - I really do not think that is going to happen with the UK economy now having just one indigenous car manufacturer (albeit now part of Fords PAG, thank goodness) in Land Rover!

And with a Freelander Td4 producing less emissions than popular "urban" cars such as the VW Beetle and BMW Mini - any call for an advertising ban, selective taxation etc would be easily challenged.

Safety is often quoted as a reason not to have a 4x4 by the numpty Anti's - but strangely the LR Defender is apparently the safest car to be in for passengers!

Similarly - if you look at the NCAP website you will see that ALL modern cars are improving their ratings and 4x4's are no different.

The latest Toyota RAV 4 (and excellent 4x4) scores higher than most ordinary cars - in all area - including that of pedestrian safety.

Based on these figures from NCAP - we would be doing the poor "Urban Dweller" a favour if we all went out and bought a RAV 4!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clive.

Who's then "numpty"?

You failed to mention that the Freelander you seem to love to quote, has only got an NCAP rating of 2, very poor according the top gear team.

Personally I don't favor specific taxation of any vehicle. For me putting road tax on the fuel is the best way to go. This would then sting the gas guzzlers what ever size they are and also capture all those running around the country "un taxed".

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And of course the words "Renault Laguna" has never been seen on one of your postings Steve! LOL!!

I mention the Freelander because I have had it from new and it has TC - that is all - It works very well.

As for its NCAP ratings - its an old design of car now. The new Freelander out soon will be better I am sure. I dare not ask what the Laguna's rating is for fear of you taking a simple question or comment as a personal affront.

For anyone wanting a modern competent small AWD tow car, the RAV fits the bill I would suggest.

Do not disagree with you on the taxation - said the same for years.

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
thanks for your replys iwas considering a nisan to tow up to 1700kl but got a bit scared of quotes of heigh tax bands can you recomend one as i have never owen a 4x4 my van is 26" twin axel swft

May 12, 2006
Visit site
If you want to try to pre empt any of this nonsense, write to your MP and tell them they will next get your vote at the next election. I totally agree 100% with Steve road tax should be on fuel, end of story. We could then reduce DVLA by 2000 staff, we tow a caravan so we would be paying our extra share,white van man would be paying his etc etc. I can hear the Oh it's not fair brigade sorry lifes not fair.

One thing don't forget Mr Brown wants to be the Prime Minster he wouldn't be if he brought this nonsense in!!!

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard

Glad to see you are a genuine "poster" !!!

Have a look at past CC mags if you can get hold of them - especially the "Tow Car of the Year" issue.

The Kia Sorrento completly creamed the opposition in both the "Normal Towcar" and the "4x4" section.

Praise indeed

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi we looked at the Sorento, but decided against on quality of components etc. If price is the issue, yes the Sorento fits the bill in most cases, but the Toyota LC is really nice to drive with a touch of class. My opinion but I am Biased due to the fact I bought one.

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts