New Turbo already?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Golf MK5 GT 2.0 TDI (reg Feb 04) that I use to tow my '04 Bailey Ranger 470/4- according to Towsure this is an 85% match and as good as I am going to get.

Went for a service today and have been advised that the car needs a new turbo- I had complained of occasional loss of power. OK I use the car a lot for work and it has covered 35,000 miles (with 18K of those covered in the last 7 months) but I would have expected a turbo to last longer than this even though it will be covered under warranty and not cost me. VW will check the unit when removed as they have not heard of a failure on this model as yet. At the moment they can not say if it is down to towing or not- but I thought I would share the info anyway for other Golf, Audi, SEAT or Skoda owners with the later 2.0 TDI unit. For info- I even wait for the temp guage to reach normal before using the full power/ tourque when towing or solo- so it's not down to hard use on my part.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Paul,

My previous car was a Golf Mk4 TDI (130bhp) and it suffered with an intermittent power loss after 25k miles. Symptoms: Sudden loss of power, as if the Turbo was disconnected. Restarting the engine restored the power.

My guess was a faulty wastegate or wastegate solenoid, dumping all the high pressure air.

The VW garage diagnosed a faulty Turbo and replaced it under warranty - the new Turbo came with a new wastegate and electronics - maybe it's a single module and easier that way? No problems with the Golf afterwards.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts