Night stop en-route to Scotland

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a site with toilet facilites, for a night stop en-route from Cambridgeshire to Morayshire, via the M6, somewhere around the half-way point of our journey?

Also, any info on good Motorway Services on the M6 (especially with drive-in, drive-out type parking bays) for caravans would be welcome, as would any to avoid!

Pauline.

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pauline, why not try Fluscowood near Penrith, only a few mile west along the A66 from Penrith M6 Junction. Nice quiet site mostly hardstanding fully serviced pitches, great modern IMMACULATE! toilet and shower block and I'm sure we only paid about

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
williams right about Tbay if u dont wanna come off the M6 motorway its has reasonably facilities too and its right next door to Tbay services for deisel, petrol, breakfast if u dont wanna cook during ur journey.

Tbay also has drive in drive out bays for caravans we use it quite often for a toilet/refueling stop on the way home from english foreign parts lol.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pauline, You haven't said whether you are with children or not.Last night we stayed at The Ashes Caravan Park ( Adult Only ) nr. Kendal. ( 6 mins off the motorway )

A small site ,with immaculate facilities, and surrounded by farm fields.This was our first visit,but think we shall be back again.

Web-site:-

www.ashescaravanpark.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pauline,

This is information which I have collected on various journeys.

Keele: Junct.14/15 Northbound.Caravan signs..yes.BUT end up parking with lorries.main building reached after crossing lorry park AND car park ...so need to be very vigilant.

Charnock Richard Junct.27/28 Northbound

Caravan signs ...yes.Parking for 10 vans only.

Lancaster ( Forton ) Northbound Junct 32/33

Separate caravan park shared with Travel Lodge car park.Entrance is tight.Sign-post confusing suggesting it is for Travel Lodge customers only.It is on the LEFT SIDE of the road opposite Lorry park.

If you need a break in Scotland....as soon as you cross the border at Gretna...the services there have a very good separate caravan parking area....well sign posted.Space for approx.10 vans.Unfortunately on occasion there are HGV's parked in there also,which they are not supposed to do.

There is also Annandale Water which is nearer to Lockerbie,which has caravan parking,but cars are very prone to parking there as well !!

If I think of any more,I'll let you know.

Happy caravanning.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Pauline, You haven't said whether you are with children or not.Last night we stayed at The Ashes Caravan Park ( Adult Only ) nr. Kendal. ( 6 mins off the motorway )

A small site ,with immaculate facilities, and surrounded by farm fields.This was our first visit,but think we shall be back again.

Web-site:-

www.ashescaravanpark.co.uk
Maureen, just husband and myself doing this trip.

G

This topic of service areas for acaravneers is one of interest to us all. Has there been, or is there any 'compendium' of the various motorway service areas and the facilties, or otherwise suitable for caravaneers? If not, should this Forum create one?

I agree that it is frustrating to find that many times you are 'directed' to the HGV section and then cannot access the normal fuel points if you need to. Plus parking with trucks is not very pleasant.

G

Pauline,

Just a quck question on re-reading your post.

Why are you using the M6 from Cambridgeshire? You hit the A1 at Huntington, turn right and head north. Going right across seems like taking the long way, unless you are making a specific stop on route. Also hit Edinburgh, cross the Forth Road Bridge and head north that way to Moray. Either up the A9 to Inverness and turn right, or the A90 to Aberdeen and then on.

Just a thought.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Pauline,

Why are you using the M6 from Cambridgeshire? You hit the A1 at Huntington, turn right and head north. Going right across seems like taking the long way, unless you are making a specific stop on route. Also hit Edinburgh, cross the Forth Road Bridge and head north that way to Moray. Either up the A9 to Inverness and turn right, or the A90 to Aberdeen and then on.

Just a thought.
We think it will be better towing via the M6, with much of the journey on motorway.

Pauline.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
This topic of service areas for acaravneers is one of interest to us all. Has there been, or is there any 'compendium' of the various motorway service areas and the facilties, or otherwise suitable for caravaneers? If not, should this Forum create one?

I agree that it is frustrating to find that many times you are 'directed' to the HGV section and then cannot access the normal fuel points if you need to. Plus parking with trucks is not very pleasant.
Great idea.....Looks like Maureen has already started it off!

Pauline.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Pauline,

Just a thought.
Pauline, you're crazy to use the M6 from where you are. The A1 is motorway grade, if not designation, to beyond Newcastle and good single carriageway beyond that. Just avoid Edinburgh's rush hour and you'll get a good run all the way with no hills.

If you go A14, M6 you've got industrial congestion half the way and you've got the slogs up Shap and Beattock.

If you do persevere with the M6, then Tesco Carlisle is useful - just 0.5 mile west from M6 Jct43 towards Carlisle, it's open all night (not Sat or Sun) and fuel's cheap.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Scotch Lad,

I think it would be a great idea to have a permanent post with comments about the various services for caravanners.I always make a note of any that we go into for reference purposes.

The Caravan magazine was doing an article about the very same thing and asking readers to contribute, but it's not one which we get on a regular basis,so don't know the outcome.....maybe someone out there can tell us.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Pauline,

I have travelled from the north of Scotland dozens of times using both the M6 and A1. I much prefer the M6 route and find it easier and quicker in the long run.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Mac,

Thanks for your comment. We have always towed to Scotland via the A1, but we are going to try the M6 next trip for the reason you stated.

We've booked a night stop on the way there and again on the return journey. It was disconcerting to be told by a CL owner, near the M6 at Penrith, that 80% of his 1-nighters don't bother to turn up! He only took our booking on our assurance that we would.

Thanks again Maureen for sharing your notes on Motorway Service areas. Handy knowledge for us all.

Pauline.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pauline,

Let us know what your overnight stops are like,so that we can continue our list of good,bad and indifferent.

Enjoy your holiday when it comes....we're off again next week.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Pauline,

We always travel up to Scotland from Norfolk via the A1 and M6. For us it's a better route as the motorway is not a busy as the A1 once you get beyond the Lakes. We have never found Beattock or Shap to be any bother.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts