No more speed humps

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst I agree the sentiment I will believe it when I see councils tearing them up. Personally I've got used to them around here as I drive a longer diversionary route. Thus adding to the general emissions in our town which are well above WHO levels. I'd rather my council tax be spent on repairing potholes.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Ha , the council taking up the speed bumps, hang on , I'm just going outside to see the pigs fly by!! :lol:

Well 4 of them flew over my village last week 4 humps removed, replaced by chicanes either end of village.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
Whilst I agree the sentiment I will believe it when I see councils tearing them up. Personally I've got used to them around here as I drive a longer diversionary route. Thus adding to the general emissions in our town which are well above WHO levels. I'd rather my council tax be spent on repairing potholes.

I'm pushing our council to improve the pavements and have already spent an hour with someone walking around the village. We are also going to set a day for walking into and around town. I'm highlighting the difficulties of navigating around in the wheelchair. It's a constant "we'll do our best but it's all expensive". They are however constantly repairing roads where they may have to pay out claims from car drivers damaging their wheels and tyres. To me personally I'd like a more even distribution of funds.

As far as speeding traffic goes, no one is listening (council or police) however loud we shout, about the speed of traffic our end of the village.

The parish council are totally useless as nothing is ever within their remit yet each council meeting they refuse to define what their remit actually is.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I sympathise with the difficulties you encounter Martin, but why continue involvement with a useless parish council?

I would consider a leaflet campaign targeting residents to see if there was any interest in forming a community based action group for the area. I guess you are not the only one disillusioned by the ineffectiveness of said parish council.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
Perhaps those disillusioned with their councils should stand for election and make their presence felt at meetings. :eek:hmy:

If one wasn't severely disabled and suffering extreme fatigue one would. Perhaps those commenting with flippant replies on a thread should think more carefully before tapping their keyboards.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
I sympathise with the difficulties you encounter Martin, but why continue involvement with a useless parish council?

I would consider a leaflet campaign targeting residents to see if there was any interest in forming a community based action group for the area. I guess you are not the only one disillusioned by the ineffectiveness of said parish council.

We've all been rather busy objecting to an AD plant lately but I'm sure we'll be firing up on the speed issues and pavement issues quite soon. The reason for keeping up with the questioning of the parish council is to keep their refusal to answer the question minuted for the community in general.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I doubt councils will be taking them up as that costs money they do not have. It probably means no new ones and when roads are repaired or relaid any in the way will go.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DrZhivago said:
Martin24 said:
At last a UK government with a sensible idea. :cheer:
I did hear a rumour on those lines a few months ago. Is this something more "concrete", and can you give a link to more detail on that?

It was a policy statement and paper issued by the Goverment 2-3 weeks back. It had lots of ideas but no really concrete plans. They proposed that councils shouldn't introduce clean air low emission zones without trying several other ideas. It was published in response to a UK Supreme court order which instructed HMG that's they were outside of the law in tackling air emissions where they were in excess of our legal limits. It was this paper that led to media speculation about diesels being penalised in future budgets.
Code:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/26/the-governments-air-pollution-plan-is-a-beautiful-smokescreen

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Ref Martin's fruitless discussions with his LA, I sympathise, mate, as we have the same problem here, as Anne is partially wheelchair dependent, as in on a good day she can walk for a while, but needs me pushing the chair as back-up.Our major complaint is the selfish who park half on the pavement, but neither LA or the police will do anything about it.
Slight change of subject, but still on LAs; we repeatedly complain about rubbish bins not being emptied at a local beauty spot.
The LA have sorted it - they took the bins away!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin24 said:
... an AD plant...

Sadly we do not all share the same life experiences, and thus our exposure to acronyms we use personally is not universal, and worse the same acronym may be used by different professions to mean completely different things.

It is wise to assume that readers of this forum do not know what an acronym stands for, and in professions circles its accepted as good practice to use the full title on the first occasion in a document followed by the acronym in parenthesis, then to us the acronym there after.

What is an "AD plant"?
Anno Domini?
Ammonia Displacement?:
Agricultural Domination?
Atomic Disassembly?
Alzheimer's disease?
Adverse Documentary?
Alternative Direction?
Associate Director?
Authors Diatribe.?

Suggestions on a post card...... :huh:

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely correct with Anaerobic Digester. I don't think anyone was objecting to the plant just 4500 lorries through the village each year to feed it. Amazing how quickly the LA took the objection signs off every lamp post in the village! I might add under the cover of darkness.

Back to the subject it was an article on the DMUK website, just for you prof. Disabled Motoring United Kingdom :p

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Absolutely correct with Anaerobic Digester. I don't think anyone was objecting to the plant just 4500 lorries through the village each year to feed it. Amazing how quickly the LA took the objection signs off every lamp post in the village! I might add under the cover of darkness.

Back to the subject it was an article on the DMUK website, just for you prof. Disabled Motoring United Kingdom :p

Make sure you get the village organised to enforce the licence restrictions of vehicle movements. It takes a lot of work to be out every day to record arrival times, departure times, how many, how many parked up waiting to discharge, what speed they do, the configuration to ensure correct loading etc, but you can get control over them.

We had similar objections here especially with it being on a school route.

Monitor discharges of odorous outputs, speak to local farmers to learn how crops are affected.

The land owner who wants the AD wants the cash subsidies. Our local one had lots of discharge issues and now the output which is supposed to be used for fertiliser now has to be returned to whence it came, mostly to Essex from Hampshire, making it less viable!! :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

Your biggest obstacle as with most things is public apathy to actually do the doing to make any case against it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts