No new diesel cars after 2030

Page 16 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No the opposite-the higher the octane the less chance of pinking surely?But it is an extra cost.

Yes higher octane effectively increases the pressure/temperature at which the compressed fuel and air will ignite. Hence the need to a good hot spark to get it going

And yes, if higher octane fuels have a higher price then the fuel costs more.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
That's right Prof thinking back to my points and dizzy days got me thinking. Preignition is the word. Cheap low octane fuel ignites before the piston is at tdc, and causes highly damaging pinking or preignition. All from memory. Shame I can't remember what I did yesterday!!!!!

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
VW have announced that as they develop new electric cars they will be capable of not only accepting a charge from the grid (G to V) but also be capable of returning power to the property or grid V to G).

The principle is that most cars are only used for relatively short time periods and spend most of their time idol. If when not being used for driving they were connected to smart dual mode chargers (G to V and V to G) combined they can would provide a massive battery capacity , which if there is surplus grid generation, then they can be charged but at peak demand times local peaks can be assisted by the local battery capacity.

This can also make financial sense, as at times the power being generated to the grid can be greater than the demand, which depresses the spot price for electricity . On some occasions some the amount of power being generated exceeds the real demand, so the spot price of electricity actually goes negative, and some larger power users are actually paid to take the power to help balance the generation/demand equation.

But even at other times the spot price of electricity can change quite a lot, and there is scope to buy electricity to charge the car when its cheap, and offer it back to the grid when the price is higher. This would be managed by software in the car and communications with the grid.

The idea isn't new. The concept has been around for some time, and the Mk2 Nissan Leaf apparently already has the capability to do V to G, It is rumoured that several Tesla Models have the mechanics prepared for it but don't have the software switched on yet, VW is the first manufacture to make such a strong commitment to the concept.

If this is implemented, it radically changes the future requirements grid generation capacity as peak demands can be sourced locally from parked cars and house batteries.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's right Prof thinking back to my points and dizzy days got me thinking. Preignition is the word. Cheap low octane fuel ignites before the piston is at tdc, and causes highly damaging pinking or preignition. All from memory. Shame I can't remember what I did yesterday!!!!!

In some petrol turbo engines a phenomenon called Low Speed Pre Ignition has resulted in major engine damage even with modern fuels. Unlike the pinking of yesteryear LSPI occurs within the ring clearances. It is most likely in a manual car when the engine is laboured whereas an auto is much less likely to be affected.
In the US the petrol RON number can often be less than our 95. Americans with engines susceptible are advised to use higher RON fuels abs keep the engine spinning freely. Hopefully 98/99 RON and an auto box will keep me okay.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
VW have announced that as they develop new electric cars they will be capable of not only accepting a charge from the grid (G to V) but also be capable of returning power to the property or grid V to G).

The principle is that most cars are only used for relatively short time periods and spend most of their time idol. If when not being used for driving they were connected to smart dual mode chargers (G to V and V to G) combined they can would provide a massive battery capacity , which if there is surplus grid generation, then they can be charged but at peak demand times local peaks can be assisted by the local battery capacity.

This can also make financial sense, as at times the power being generated to the grid can be greater than the demand, which depresses the spot price for electricity . On some occasions some the amount of power being generated exceeds the real demand, so the spot price of electricity actually goes negative, and some larger power users are actually paid to take the power to help balance the generation/demand equation.

But even at other times the spot price of electricity can change quite a lot, and there is scope to buy electricity to charge the car when its cheap, and offer it back to the grid when the price is higher. This would be managed by software in the car and communications with the grid.

The idea isn't new. The concept has been around for some time, and the Mk2 Nissan Leaf apparently already has the capability to do V to G, It is rumoured that several Tesla Models have the mechanics prepared for it but don't have the software switched on yet, VW is the first manufacture to make such a strong commitment to the concept.

If this is implemented, it radically changes the future requirements grid generation capacity as peak demands can be sourced locally from parked cars and house batteries.
Interesting post however when I worked in the power supply industry there was no such thing as a surplus although addiotnal power was available. Whether or not the power is used, the cost still needs to be taken into consideration.
If I remember correctly a kw costs the generator less then 5p, but when you times that by many millions it adds up to a considereable sum so you do not want it going to waste. During off peak the supply of power is minimised and during peak periods it is increased. Obviously things may have changed since 2010.
Power is normally purchased 2 or more years in advance which is why you can enter into a 32 year fixed period contract for supply of electric. Occasionally this would be up to 5 years in advance but very rare.
TBH if electric cars were randomly able to offer power back to the grid it would throw a lot of calculations out the window as the random surge would not be weather related and the result may be power cuts on occasions.
I doubt very much if an EV car battery can offer much back to the grid as surely it will then need to be recharged again costing the consumer even more? I may be totally wrong as don't really understand the concept, just the basics.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I understand the idea is that most users will not need the full range next day, so you can take some back as appropriate. How the system knows when to do this is beyond me, but it may need input from the car owner to set the charging equipment to allow this.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I understand the idea is that most users will not need the full range next day, so you can take some back as appropriate. How the system knows when to do this is beyond me, but it may need input from the car owner to set the charging equipment to allow this.
Shouldn’t be a problem as there’s bound to be an app to allow you to set it from your recliner. My old VW 411 LE. had a pre heating system to allow it to warm the interior in winter. No app just a timer. The problem was that in the days before double glazing the fan noise upset the neighbours either side.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
WE set our Mini to preheat or pre cool-not needed the cool yet-while plugged in-saves using your battery to get the interior up to temp-superb system meaning on a frosty morning car is warm defrosted and ready to go-as long as you set the timer right-either from in the car or from the app on my phone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Power is normally purchased 2 or more years in advance which is why you can enter into a 32 year fixed period contract for supply of electric. Occasionally this would be up to 5 years in advance but very rare.

It is certainly true that strategic planning needed the to put into place long term strategies for the procurement of power. Commitments to generators to take power to secure supplies needed long term contracts , and that is very relevant for the Nuclear generators. But on a minute to minute basis the actual cost of generation can vary considerably, and the National Grid publishes figures of the spot price of power, and there are more times when the price to customers goes negative.

Here is a video that partly covers some of the issues
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37M7ffjro3I

TBH if electric cars were randomly able to offer power back to the grid it would throw a lot of calculations out the window as the random surge would not be weather related and the result may be power cuts on occasions. I doubt very much if an EV car battery can offer much back to the grid as surely it will then need to be recharged again costing the consumer even more?
I may be totally wrong as don't really understand the concept, just the basics.

Who says it will be Random? The principle of smart charging allows for the switch between charge or delivering power will be controlled. And the concept of having a large battery capacity of many cars linked to the grid would help to eliminate power cuts due to sudden excess demands.

Before the days of modern communications and remote control possibilities, the systems would not have been agile enough to manage the switching to use batteries in this way. But such systems are more than capable of managing these switch transitions in less than 20ms or one cycle of UK mains.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is certainly true that strategic planning needed the to put into place long term strategies for the procurement of power. Commitments to generators to take power to secure supplies needed long term contracts , and that is very relevant for the Nuclear generators. But on a minute to minute basis the actual cost of generation can vary considerably, and the National Grid publishes figures of the spot price of power, and there are more times when the price to customers goes negative.

Here is a video that partly covers some of the issues
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37M7ffjro3I

Who says it will be Random? The principle of smart charging allows for the switch between charge or delivering power will be controlled. And the concept of having a large battery capacity of many cars linked to the grid would help to eliminate power cuts due to sudden excess demands.

Before the days of modern communications and remote control possibilities, the systems would not have been agile enough to manage the switching to use batteries in this way. But such systems are more than capable of managing these switch transitions in less than 20ms or one cycle of UK mains.
Thanks for clairying. The spot price is used to buy power today for use in one or two years time and not for the present time.
By random can any one state that their vehicle will definitely be available to put power back into the grid at a certain time every day? If the car had been used during the day then surely there is less power to put back into the network as the car may require recharging? Most cars will be used to go to a place of employment as our public transport is not exactly convenient.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
WE set our Mini to preheat or pre cool-not needed the cool yet-while plugged in-saves using your battery to get the interior up to temp-superb system meaning on a frosty morning car is warm defrosted and ready to go-as long as you set the timer right-either from in the car or from the app on my phone.

I can start the cabin heating in my old-school diesel SUV with a remote control, nice and warm by the time I've finished breakfast - it also works on caravan sites without EHU !

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can remember driving in freezing weather when cars never had heating. OH spilled some coffee from the thermos on the floor of the van and within minutes it froze!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
But in theory Roger aren't you breaking the law-fine on a campsite etc but in the Highway code you can't start your engine and leave the vehicle!:ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can remember driving in freezing weather when cars never had heating. OH spilled some coffee from the thermos on the floor of the van and within minutes it froze!
And your first windscreen washer was probably a Squeezie bottle held in your right hand with the window down while you pressed some liquid onto the screen.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for clairying. The spot price is used to buy power today for use in one or two years time and not for the present time.
No. The spot price is what the real cost of generation on a minute by minute basis now. The National grid and the power supply companies do need to plan ahead so that's where the strategic planning and pricing plays a part.

By random can any one state that their vehicle will definitely be available to put power back into the grid at a certain time every day?

When you have several millions of cars, at any time there will be substantial number of vehicles connected at any time and the estimate is they will be enough to help balance the generation capacity.

If the car had been used during the day then surely there is less power to put back into the network as the car may require recharging? Most cars will be used to go to a place of employment as our public transport is not exactly convenient.

The average commute is less than 30 miles. most electric cars will therefore have plenty of capacity to allow a couple or more of kWh of power to assist the grid.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
But in theory Roger aren't you breaking the law-fine on a campsite etc but in the Highway code you can't start your engine and leave the vehicle!:ROFLMAO:
I don't need to start the engine - it has a diesel-fuelled Eberspacher cabin heater, like some motorhomes - as well as warming the cabin up before use it speeds the engine warm-up once started and seems to improve the fuel consumption in winter.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Interesting to read that Somerset could be the location for a Tesla Gigafactory, and Coventry the location for British Volts second Gigafactory. Elon Musk is predicting that as scale of production ramps up on EV a £18000 Tesla is viable, just like the ModelT brought motoring costs down. Also simple EV for local transport could cost around £5000 as it would only have 100 parts compared to the 10000 in a standard ICE car. Well like computers and many other consumer items where in real terms prices have reduced significantly EVs could do the same both in purchase costs and life costs too.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What is the point in going green with EVs when Mother Nature takes over and pollutes the atmosphere as current in Iceland. No one seems to have taken this into account. Even if the UK was the cleanest and 100% green it will still have a polluted atmosphere in the event of a volcano hundreds of miles away.
In 2010 a volcano in Iceland disrupted air travel and the atmosphere for whole of Europe including the UK was affected and there was nothing any one could do about it.
See
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1qkGRL9UUw
and
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXW59HcLWmo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What is the point in going green with EVs when Mother Nature takes over and pollutes the atmosphere as current in Iceland. No one seems to have taken this into account. Even if the UK was the cleanest and 100% green it will still have a polluted atmosphere in the event of a volcano hundreds of miles away.
In 2010 a volcano in Iceland disrupted air travel and the atmosphere for whole of Europe including the UK was affected and there was nothing any one could do about it.
See
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1qkGRL9UUw
and
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXW59HcLWmo

Nature continues unabated but have you seen anything that nature has contributed to the rapid rise of temperatures and the warming of the climate? Yes there have been warm periods in the past, otherwise we would probably all still be clad in reindeer skins, but nothing as rapid as the case now.

Look on the positive side the last time an Icelandic volcano erupted the large reduction in CO 2 emissions from air travel partly offset the delinquent volcano. Perhaps Covid is natures way too?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Nature, powerful as it is has not yet screwed it up in the 4.5 Billion years it has been going, actually IMO it has made it the best of places we have to live.
However, we seem well on course with our last 200 years of accelerated "development", to wreck it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The volcano is a problem but it is the additional pollution humans cause that can be avoided. It possibly means our efforts need to be redoubled to offset this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts