Not good news for newbies!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Suspect that as incomes squeeze, interest rates and cost of living rise the squeeze might moderate caravan price increases. If it doesn’t then sales will fall. They probably will anyway as pre owned come onto the market.

Reactions: DaveA1 and JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We all knew that, but it does confirm this. If you have a caravan it probably makes very little difference as although a replacement may cost more, you will get more for trade in. Getting a bargain is unlikely though. Not sure how long it will last though as this years models come on stream.
The same seems to be happening with cars with one person being offered £500 not to take his new car as the dealer could sell it for even more.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On a different forum, a Cadillac dealer in the USA is advertising a $121,000 2022 Cadillac Escalade for $171,000 - the laws of supply and demand are at work everywhere.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This does not help either.

If you think you are having a bad day. . . .

Thousands of Porsche and Volkswagen cars have been abandoned on a cargo ship after it caught fire in the Atlantic Ocean on route to the US.

The ship, named Felicity Ace, was travelling from Emden in Germany before it caught ablaze off the coast of Portugal's Azores islands.

German newspaper Handelsblatt reported the vessel was carrying 3,965 vehicles, which also included Audis and Lamborghinis, according Volkswagen USA.

Porsche had about 1100 on board ?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
This does not help either.

If you think you are having a bad day. . . .

Thousands of Porsche and Volkswagen cars have been abandoned on a cargo ship after it caught fire in the Atlantic Ocean on route to the US.

The ship, named Felicity Ace, was travelling from Emden in Germany before it caught ablaze off the coast of Portugal's Azores islands.

German newspaper Handelsblatt reported the vessel was carrying 3,965 vehicles, which also included Audis and Lamborghinis, according Volkswagen USA.

Porsche had about 1100 on board ?

The ship also had 200 Bentleys on board.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I've been watching used caravan prices as I'm selling mine hopefully April, its absolutely astonishing what they are on dealers forecourts at, hope it lasts!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The value of them will drop like a stone when people realise how expensive it is going to be to tow them, its going to be far cheaper using hotels or airbnb for holidays now.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The value of them will drop like a stone when people realise how expensive it is going to be to tow them, its going to be far cheaper using hotels or airbnb for holidays now.
I think this is certainly a risk, although possibly drop like a stone is a bit extreme.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Caravanning has never been a cheap option. I was once asked how much I saved on holidays with having a caravan. After explaining the buying/ running/ using costs they decided to stick with there 10 days in Spain!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I suspect the easing of international travel in particular will reflect thorough the caravanning/motorhome "business"; where those who have already bought in, dump their kit, and those who might have contemplated had restrictions continued, don't buy in.

Clearly there will be some enthralled with their new found "hobby", but I suspect domestic pressures will see many understandably choosing that their precious leave is spent somewhere a tad warmer and in more predictably agreeable climes, plus where others carry all the pampering tasks for them.

If they do a focused cost assessment of what the relative costs are, that I suspect will do nothing to bolster the outcome in favour of buying into or staying in this hobby, at least anywhere near at the newish kit end.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Caravanning has never been a cheap option. I was once asked how much I saved on holidays with having a caravan. After explaining the buying/ running/ using costs they decided to stick with there 10 days in Spain!
The real value in a caravan comes from being able to use it for many more nights/year than most people can afford in hotels, etc.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I suspect the easing of international travel in particular will reflect thorough the caravanning/motorhome "business"; where those who have already bought in, dump their kit, and those who might have contemplated had restrictions continued, don't buy in.

Clearly there will be some enthralled with their new found "hobby", but I suspect domestic pressures will see many understandably choosing that their precious leave is spent somewhere a tad warmer and in more predictably agreeable climes, plus where others carry all the pampering tasks for them.

If they do a focused cost assessment of what the relative costs are, that I suspect will do nothing to bolster the outcome in favour of buying into or staying in this hobby, at least anywhere near at the newish kit end.
A lot of people are still wary of travelling to foreign shores and then maybe falling ill with Covid.

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Last year I struggled to book my routes and stays between Scotland and Southern England , this year I have just booked all my routes and stays no problem ….. same time - the bubble has already burst and I do not see prices of caravans going up - they are coming down and quite quickly

Jan 28, 2022
Visit site
Last year I struggled to book my routes and stays between Scotland and Southern England , this year I have just booked all my routes and stays no problem ….. same time - the bubble has already burst and I do not see prices of caravans going up - they are coming down and quite quickly
Very curious to see how it all plays out long term.

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
The problem is site pitch fees have gone up due to demand over Covid - let’s see if they come back down as the FOMO caravan owners return to Benidorm - it’s been ruined a bit price wise

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The positives of having a caravan is the lifestyle to have the choice and freedom to do ,what you wish and when this includes the financial input from site fees through to adventures . Having had over thirty years of caravan holidays i have no complaints about value for money .

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Went to my local dealer over the weekend he was saying new prices going up another £500, which in turn increases the used price which is my interest as my storm resilient outfit will be on the market hopefully in April, house gods willing.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Went to my local dealer over the weekend he was saying new prices going up another £500, which in turn increases the used price which is my interest as my storm resilient outfit will be on the market hopefully in April, house gods willing.
Will your new house be ready for April keep us updated on your caravan and how it goes (y)

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site

Interesting what your dealer says is at complete odds with the current market - this time last year caravans we’re being sold a lot more than they are now - a lot more - the general rule last year is around 1-2 K more and this year I do not see it

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The problem is site pitch fees have gone up due to demand over Covid - let’s see if they come back down as the FOMO caravan owners return to Benidorm - it’s been ruined a bit price wise
We booked a fully serviced pitch for our 2022 July break in July 2021 which was just as well as all fully serviced pitches have now gone and they have a large number of them.

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Just recently purchased a 2019 Swift Challenger 560. Have bought previous vans from the same family run Dealership and the sales chap was telling me everything for sale new and second hand was an extra two grand dearer than pre-covid sales.
Was looking for a fixed bed unit and only had two , one only arriving the day before. For an extra 3 grand but not including a motor mover at the best part of £1300 would not have got a brand new van until the tail end of August .... Thinking of putting my van on a seasonal this year returning my van to my Storage facility at the end of season . Think I have been on and off the same storage facility for nearly 30 years . Unfortunately I still have to pay my annual storage fee or loose my pitch as there is a 15 van waiting list. Pre- covid would have been no problem getting back on. Until the Costa Brigade return to Spain I don't see any change just yet....

GAS ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts