Not sure if a scam?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My elderly Sister in law got a email from Transport for Wales offering compensation for delay on trains. On travelling to Hereford, the train was delayed by about an hour for no reason. The same on the return trip.

The email asks for her sort code and account number to pay the compensation. The telephone number on the email matches the telephone number on the website. I have advised her to phone the customer services and to speak to someone there rather than email bank details.

I thought it would be a simple matter of refunding back to her card?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My elderly Sister in law got a email from Transport for Wales offering compensation for delay on trains. On travelling to Hereford, the train was delayed by about an hour for no reason. The same on the return trip.

The email asks for her sort code and account number to pay the compensation. The telephone number on the email matches the telephone number on the website. I have advised her to phone the customer services and to speak to someone there rather than email bank details.

I thought it would be a simple matter of refunding back to her card?
Sounds suspicious - why would TfW or the train company know your S-i-Ls email address, it's not needed to buy a ticket.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s always worth being cautious in such circumstances. I didn’t realise that the offer of compensation came through automatically once the delay had crossed the threshold.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Carefully check that the email address this message came from is correct, look for slight discrepancies like a different letter in the spelling etc.
It could be genuine, but you are wise to be suspicious.
As others have said, how did tge sender have her email address? As for wanting bank details it is common for retailers to not be able to retain card details once the transaction has been completed (guards against card details being compromised if the sellers website gets hacked)?
So they cannot do automatic refunds to the card who's details they no longer have.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I had a train canceled a couple of years ago. And got a refund. But I had to claim it. Nothing was automatically offered.

Phone transport Wales to check.

It might be genuine, how would a scammer be able to associate the delayed train with the passenger? Nevertheless, best to check.

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Safest to assume it is a scam. Ring as suggested or go to Transport Wales website (direct from Google not from any link in the email) and find the refunds section for the process of claiming compensation. Never email anyone your bank details.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
This is a scam. Refunds for delays and cancellations have to be applied for. Instructions for refunds tell you to click on "manage bookings" on your confirmation email - then go from there. Any refund follows automatically within 3 or 4 days, depending on the length of delay.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have never known train services giving automatic refunds, but may be things are improving. I would ring them but avoid the number on the e mail and look it up to be sure.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apologies I should have mentioned that she did raised a complaint. She has since phoned them and all they asked was for her to confirm the last 4 digits on the card and nothing else. No need for sort code or account number. They are processing the refund. Thanks all.

We have all got to be so alert these days for scams!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Apologies I should have mentioned that she did raised a complaint. She has since phoned them and all they asked was for her to confirm the last 4 digits on the card and nothing else. No need for sort code or account number. They are processing the refund. Thanks all.

We have all got to be so alert these days for scams!
Good result.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts