May 27, 2014
Visit site
Some poor soul crashed his outfit about one pm today on the a82 near lomondgate going south - Arctic lorry involved - both car and caravan overturned in the verge - hope occupants were OK - keep to the speed limits is my lesson upon seeing this

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Given the number of roundabouts and traffic lights on that stretch of the A82, it's difficult to get up to the speed limit, let alone exceed it.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
thosoneill said:
Some poor soul crashed his outfit about one pm today on the a82 near lomondgate going south - Arctic lorry involved - both car and caravan overturned in the verge - hope occupants were OK - keep to the speed limits is my lesson upon seeing this

How do you know it was speed related?

May 27, 2014
Visit site
OK folks all I am saying is stay safe out there - when you drive by and witness a car and caravan in the verge then you think twice about you / your outfit and your abilities / personally I am undertaking a three week trip to Europe and seeing that outfit today drives home the case for being vigilant and safe on the road / perhaps I should not have posted this thread / sincerely hope no one was badly injured

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
We were coming home on the M62 this afternoon and i slowed down to 50mph due to being rocked about like a budgie on its perch.. yes other vans over took me but that was there choice, a few miles further on and one that had passed me had pulled onto the hard shoulder for whatever reason i don't know, but slowing down due to very windy conditions maybe put 10 to 15 mins on my journey but we got home in one piece and that's the main thing.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is no legislation that says you must tow at the speed limit for your outfit! However there is legislation that you should drive you vehicle safely, and if that means slowing down then so be it.

The complaints about caravans being slow is not generally founded, we often find we have to drive slower than we would like because there's an HGV ahead which has lower speed limits than a caravan. At other times it often a car out for a Sunday drive that holds everything up. But if conditions require it I slow down.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely agree with the drive at a safe speed not necessarily up to the speed limit comments.

Even without the Caravan, on winding back roads with a 50 mph speed limit, sometimes I don't drive more than 40 mph as I'd rather arrive in one piece. Much to the annoyance of those behind me - at least they can't blame it on my towing!

As for the accident at the start of this thread, if there was a lorry involved, anything could have happened that caused the outfit to get out of control.

I am new to towing and since both a speed awareness course and the CC Towing Course, I am ever mindful of leaving plenty of space in front to slow down gracefully and the need to be aware of all times what might happen in front.

There but for the grace of god.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts