Onsite TV service

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Connecting the socket to say a Sky box . That in itself doesn’t give Freesat. Just checked our main house Sony and that definitely has Freesat connected with a single F plug from the dish alone.
I guess Saxo will have to try it out or ask the dealer etc. strange the actual spec doesnt say Freesat🙉
Not sure who is more confused now😉
I am not aware that a Sky box can output a sat signal. Generally sat signal into a Sky box and HDMI out unless it also has a RF output. Then you have a choice.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m still puzzled as the Sharp publication I linked above makes no mention Freesat or sat decoder. So interested in your progress. But if it’s not got a decoder then you can buy preowned Sky boxes from the We buy Anything type stores you see in most shopping precincts. If you’re lucky it may even have its card included. If not the cards aren’t expensive a one off fee.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For heaven's sake, look at the spec! It says quite clearly DVB....S/S2 which means it has a SATELLITE tuner. It also says DVB T/T2 which is TERRESTRIAL TV (i.e. Freeview), and C which is cable TV which doesn't work in the UK.

The one thing that no-one has suggested is to check that the external socket goes directly to the F-type outlet that the OP is using on the connection plate. In many caravans the external cable can be/often is used in either direction, that is it can be used to feed terrestrial or satellite signals into the caravan from a site (pillar) source or sat dish LNB, or it can be used to take a standard TV signal received by the caravan aerial from the aerial amp out to supply a TV in the awning (or whatever.) Ergo the inside end of the cable will be presented adjacent to the aerial amp and marked accordingly. There will also be another cable adjacent to the amp that is presented on the F-type on the socket plate at the viewing location. The cable coming in from the outside needs to be connected by a F-type 'barrel' (i.e. double socket) DIRECTLY to the internal socket cable: it must NOT be fed through the aerial amp as the latter cannot handle the frequencies used by a satellite feed.

AFAIK the only TVs that you can buy in the UK that have Freesat tuners built in are made by LG - Freesat is a licenced commodity so anything not directly intended for the UK market will be more than unlikely to have it. It would guess that it is likely that the Sharp just shows what it is fed with from the satellite in the order that it finds them. If that is the situation the first few channels found will be RoI stations. The station numbers for UK stations could be anything but will certainly not be related en bloc to terrestrial or Freesat numbering.

For those not in the know, whatever the UK signals required they ALL come from the same satellite cluster: the only difference is the programme guide, hence the different numbering for Sky/Freesat for the same stations. Someone said earlier that someone watching Sky would be able to see BBC1/2, ITV, Ch4 and Five if they are in Europe and trying to watch these channels but anyone using a built-in tuner or Freesat would not. WRONG. As just stated the BBC1-Five channels all come from the same source so if a (say) Freesat box could not receive BBC1 then neither would a Sky box. This misunderstanding is because some of the pay channels on Sky come from adjacent satellites in the cluster that have a wider footprint than the one carrying BBC1 etc. As I said in an earlier post, have a look at the footprint maps at lyngsat.com and you will see what I mean.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For heaven's sake, look at the spec! It says quite clearly DVB....S/S2 which means it has a SATELLITE tuner. It also says DVB T/T2 which is TERRESTRIAL TV (i.e. Freeview), and C which is cable TV which doesn't work in the UK.
My thoughts are that the sat input is there for a dish that is already aligned to Astra and not to set up the sat dish?

If using the sat input how will they go about tuning in the TV to the sat dish? They will not know if the dish is aligned correctly and receiving a signal from the Astra satellite? The Tv and the say dish could be working against one another? I have never used the sat input as we have always had a Freesat box or Sky+HD box which makes life a lot easier.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
A TV with and internal satellite tuner will have some means of showing the reception parameters (i..e Astra 28 or 2G) and the signal strength which can be used for alignment. I'm lucky, I bought a sat box in France that has an audio output that puts out a tone allied to signal strength. It makes alignment a doddle - like 10 mins tops!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A TV with and internal satellite tuner will have some means of showing the reception parameters (i..e Astra 28 or 2G) and the signal strength which can be used for alignment. I'm lucky, I bought a sat box in France that has an audio output that puts out a tone allied to signal strength. It makes alignment a doddle - like 10 mins tops!
Interesting. I am thinking correctly or incorrectly that the internal sat tuner may be capable of receiving thousands of different frequencies as it will not be locked to Astra 28.

To lock onto the sat dish, it would need to scan through all these frequencies to lock onto that sat signal. However if the sat dish is not aligned almost spot on, it will scan past the Astra 28 frequency and not lock on. I would appreciate your input as find this quite interesting regarding the sat input on TVs as never used ours. Thanks.

You could then be chasing your own tail as one cannot lock on without the other. As you suggest it is a lot simpler to have a Freesat and Sky+HD box and then use HDMI to the TV. However in this case the PO wants the signal direct to the TV which is their choice.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
No, its easier than that. When you go into the set up of the TV (usually) you will be given the option of either the satellite position or the satellite name. I have a satellite alignment instrument that, being Chinese, does not know about Astra, so I point it a an adjacent sat that is at 28.5E (as against 28.2E for Astra). Having said that though, when you set the option to the Astra cluster or 28.5E the TV software will not go looking for any other bird even if it finds one and hence when you get the Astra signal trimming is quite simple and quick.
As I said in an earlier post, look at lyngsat.com and you will find quite a lot of useful data.

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
This is what I had on my TV when I was trying to tune the channels a few days ago (before the hissy fit 😂)

IMG_3855.jpeg

Not too sure what I select below, presumably ’Single’

IMG_3854.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No, its easier than that. When you go into the set up of the TV (usually) you will be given the option of either the satellite position or the satellite name. I have a satellite alignment instrument that, being Chinese, does not know about Astra, so I point it a an adjacent sat that is at 28.5E (as against 28.2E for Astra). Having said that though, when you set the option to the Astra cluster or 28.5E the TV software will not go looking for any other bird even if it finds one and hence when you get the Astra signal trimming is quite simple and quick.
As I said in an earlier post, look at lyngsat.com and you will find quite a lot of useful data.
I have had a look at our LG which has the Sat Input, but you cannot select it? However light is beginning to dawn and according to your post, when selecting the Satellite option, there should be a list of available satellites and you the select the appropriate satellite and then try and tune in the dish. Is that correct? Thanks again.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Satellite isn’t connected just now, it’s all packed in the bag.

The photos was what I just took 10min ago, just to show what I was trying to tune
So when you took the pictures the dish was not connected? In the first picture it looked like it was connected and that there was plenty of signal?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
So when you took the pictures the dish was not connected? In the first picture it looked like it was connected and that there was plenty of signal?
Correct, the photo was just taken earlier, the Satellite is all packed up in the car.

I would say looking a the Signal Quality and Signal Level is both at 0, that would mean it’s not connected one would presume.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Correct, the photo was just taken earlier, the Satellite is all packed up in the car.

I would say looking a the Signal Quality and Signal Level is both at 0, that would mean it’s not connected one would presume.
Gotcha. It was probably they way the photo was taken as looking closer I can now see that it shows "0".

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Sadly I learnt the hard way years ago.

The cheapo sat finders are junk,. Our Sproket recommended this firm to me .

The ones just under £100 are preloaded with various satellite codes so you can choose which one to track .. The cheapos pick up every thing and don’t tell you the identity of the one you lock onto!
We use our Sky HD plus box and similar to Clive a Maxview 65 cm elliptic on a tripod. Usually I can find the satellite within 20 seconds.
I've never had a problem with a cheapo sat finder - mind you I do my "homework" before we go so that I know the magnetic compass bearing and dish elevation of the Astra satellite from each campsite and make sure the tripod centre post is exactly vertical - then set the sat finder to max gain, align the dish to the compass bearing and then wiggle the dish a bit each way until I find a signal, easy to check if it's the correct satellite if the TV/Satellite box is set to diagnostics as it shows signal strength/quality - then turn the sat finder gain down and fine-tune the alignment to get the best signal.

My cheapo cost about £10, not worth spending much more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts