Our first ever caravan and weekend away

pog

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Just got back from picking up our first caravan - Conqueror 630.

Never towed before, never caravanned before, never slept in a field before etc etc etc.

Handover from dealer went ok, I took notes and got the dealer to repeat things to make sure I understood what he was teaching me. I also spent some time prior to collection reading the online handbooks on the Swift website. Did not get on one of the towing courses prior to picking up the van as they were all booked, so I sort guidance from friends and family for tips and advice on towing. We also chose a site in a familiar place so I knew the roads.

Towing was easier than I expected and the traffic jam on the M25 gave me time to get used to the width and length of the outfit, as we were travelling at slow speed. I was actually grafeful for the jam! Once underway I soon got used to the pitch, suck and blow and all the other bumps and sways. Took it very steady going between 50 and 60 depending on the road conditions and incline/decline.

By the time we arrived on site the rain had become torrential and the light was fading so myself and my partner bit the bullet and just got stuck in.

The first obstical was the jockey wheel which I unfortunately wound the wrong way. After about 30 mins I managed to get the two bits back together and will never do that again!

We then got the (much loved) motor mover doing its thing and once we released the handbreak (dur) we were off and running. Loved it, it makes moving such a heavy and large rig easy and above all fun!

Once that was done, we plodded through all the levelling, chocks, wheel locks etc. Which took us another good hour. A time I know we can improve on - especially by throwing the Swift scissor jack in the next river we come to (any advice on what to replace it with would be great).

Then we set about setting up the services, all went ok and all pretty much self explanatory. Although, standing in the pooring rain, soaked to the skin filling things with water bought about a fit of hysterics. But at least our spirits were still high.

We have read so many times on this site that our fellow campers would appear from now where to help newbies - HA! They all sat in their vans, drinking tea and watched with glee. But who could blame them it was abismal out.

Once we had loaded the van with all our lovely new bits and pieces and found homes for everything it was about 11pm. The van is great; central heating, air-con, lighting, bed all of it is wonderful.

We then spent the next couple of days getting used to everything and making sure it all worked. The weather improved and we had a great time. Just booking our next trip away in 4 weeks time!

I can recommend to anyone doing this for the first time to do as much research as possible. This site is absolutely invaluable and we are grateful for all we have read and the advice we have been given. The internet is a goldmine of information so get stuck in - we had no suprises along the way as everything you need to know is on the web somewhere.

If you are getting a new caravan read the online handbooks - bit boring but so worth while. Make check lists, read safety advice, take you time. We did and all went well.

We are back now and I am reading through all the information and making a maintenance guide - all long winded but worth the effort.

Good luck to all beginners out there and thanks again to all who posted on my topics and gave great sound advice.

Cheers,

Bj and Justin

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Great to hear about your learning curve on your first outing.

We too are "novices" have only been away twice in our Swift Challenger but absolutely love it and can't wait for our next trip in June to Lincoln Farm Park, Standlake, Oxfordshire. Check out the website!!

We are also booked for Manor Park in Interlaken - yes we are going abroad towing a caravan!!

We never realised how much fun and enjoyment a caravan could provide - not to mention the freedom to just hitch up and go.

Only problem is that work inteferes with our "going away " plans!! Happy & safe caravanning.

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys

We have also just got back from our first ever trip in a caravan, I agree with your pointson research i too found this forum invaluable, even thought through the excitement of setting up i completly forgot most things but had a fantastic time.

We also set up and packed away in heavy rain (thats the royal WE as wife packed up inside!).

Gutted tto be back home but looking forward to the next break.

Anthony

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hi , bj and justin , the same thing happened with me with jockey wheel , but as you said ,never again .each time gets easier and quicker or so i thought. Getting ready to pull off from a site our friends remarked how accomplished we were now by doing everything like clockwork . got into the car , drove a yard , no wing mirrors !!!! yep its a learning curve . enjoy . brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts