Owning a motorhome when you have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello out there!
Just wondered if anyone out there owns a motorhome and has IBS? I have ME and IBS. We recently bought a motorhome as having the toilet aboard makes such a difference to me - I feel I have more freedom to go "off the beaten track". We have 2 girls (13 and 10) and they love being out and about it in it. However, I'm nervous about taking our holidays in it - I suffer with a lot of pain and fatigue. I'm also a terrible worrier. But I'd like to break-free from the constraints of ME and IBS and I'm sure the motorhome is the gateway to that. But I feel really unconfident about it as I am more used to holidaying in a self-catering cottage/appartment.
I realise I could suffer with much worse, but I just wondered if anyone out there is managing to enjoy motorhome travel and holidays with conditions similar to mine?

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, It's great to hear that you've bought your motorhome! It may take you a while to get into this new lifestyle after holidaying in buildings, but I'm convinced you've done the right thing. Owning a motorhome is absolutely perfect for people with all kinds of ailments and disabilities - and older people who might once have been pretty athletic but time has simply caught up with them.

It's a 'snail trail', not a road-race, remember. So you can stop whenever you feel fatigue. And as you say, you'll never have to worry about toilet stops again. Hope you'll have a wonderful time.

There's quite a debate going on about mobility issues and wheelchair-friendly motorhomes in our Forum, by the way. Everyone can register with our website (top right) and then comment on posts, van reviews and stories and share experiences.

It sounds as if you're lucky enough not to need a wheelchair, but many other people have found that buying a motorhome can transform their mobility issues and allow them to enjoy fantastic holidays in beautiful rural places that they'd otherwise struggle to reach.

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Kate,
Thanks so much for your lovely reply. It's good to have support! I just need to build up my confidence - hoping to have an overnight/two night stay soon. x

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi weegmack IMHO a motorhome is the best form of transport & holiday home for the majority of people with disbilities. As Sarah said, toilet on-board, able to rest when you need to. (Can't always do that when away for the day from self catering accomodation) Then the motorhome can be adapted to suit your individual needs. My wife is a paraplygic & the motorhome is the best thing ever for her. Go for it & reduce the worry as you become more acustomed to the lifestyle. Not sure where you are based, but if you get the opportunity try to attend the Mobility Roadshow - our 30th anniversary Mobility Roadshow event, taking place on 27th – 29th June 2013 at the Telford International Centre." http://mobilityroadshow.co.uk/ & check out Coachbuilt GB for what adaptions are possible.

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Flicka - thanks for your reply. I am delighted that the motorhome works so well for your wife. And I will check out that web link, thanks! We live in Scotland, not far from Glasgow (so lots of fab day trips are on our doorstep). However, now I have my MH, I'm not averse to travelling to things. So I'll also check out that event on Telford.
As you say, it's just a case of getting used to the different type of holiday and practising at it, till I feel less anxious! Thanks again
smiley-laughing.gif

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
My partner is recovering from Chronic Fatigue syndrome (ME) and has found our camper wonderfull as she can sleep when she needs to in the overcab bed, I'm an ex cancer patient still trying to get stronger after alot of surgery and chemo so again I have good days and bad. The camper is great for us and we plan to live in it for 6 months this year travelling in north africa , neither of us could manage that in any other way, my backpacking days are over i think.

Take it easy , find a local site and go for 1 night , you'll soon find how much easier it is marching to the beat of your own drum, not a restaurants, pubs or hotel and having control.

Rich

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi weegmack - the heaviest job associated with a motorhome is the Gas Cylinders, if they cause difficulties, consider a refillable system.

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rich
Thanks for your reply - you're totally right about marching to the beat of your own drum. When I hear what you have both been through together, I really need to give myself a good kick and get on with it! I hope you both continue to recover your strength and have an amazing time in north Africa.
Take care of yourselves,
Gillian.

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Flicka
I didn't know about refillable systems - many thanks for that idea! By the way - two basic things I need to know and hoped you could help me:
When you leave your site pitch and go for a day trip - how do you make sure no-one takes your pitch while you're away? Do you put cones down or anything?

Also, I was looking at a motorhome accessory site and looking at the Fiamma levelling chocs (chocks?). Are those the best ones to get?

Thanks!
Gillian

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Gillian - re refillable Gas Cylinders - have a look for "Gaslow" or "Gasit" yellow cylinders - & an article in Practical Motorhome current April edition. We use the Fiamma levellers (but make sure they are the wider of the 2 ) or Milemco do an even higher lift set. Leaving pitch for the day - we use a small sign with a wooden peg showing the Motorhome Reg. No., others use "Motorhome using this pitch" or similar.

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Gillian,
To keep your pitch when you go out for the day, I recommend pitching a drive-away awning, or even just a little gazebo. They're great if you're planning to stay for a few nights on one campsite, and you can dump all sorts of kit in them - wellies, wetsuits, surf boards, bikes...

My awning is the Touring Country Road driveaway awning from Outwell and fixes to the side rail of any VW-based campervan, so you don't get wet going from van to awning in a shower. You then just slide it out of the van's roof rail, leaving the awning standing like a tent, and drive off for the day.

Read more about it here.

We've even slept in it on occasion... I needed a tall man and a step to put the thing up, though, since I'm not too tall myself.

There are other brands of driveaway awnings for motorhomes as well to consider.

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kate,
We're definitely going to get a drive-away awning. As you say - they are great for keeping stuff in and also somewhere to leave wet wellies and jackets etc. I really appreciate the links. Thanks so much
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, my hubby has told me about your post. Yes, I suffer badly with IBS, both home and away. The odd thing is that we recently spent a week in Yorkshire and I didn't have any problems for the first time in a few weeks. I think I could have been more relaxed this time when away, we have had our mh for two and a half years now. However, I seem to have been worse since coming home.
I have found that having "facilities" onboard takes a lot of worry out of going away now. Like yourself I am a terrible worrier too.
We are in the south of Scotland, so our paths may well cross some of these days. I think a motorhome would help to give you freedom away, at the same time the confidence that you have the loo on board when you need it. IBS can be a real problem for a lot of people, stress is the worst thing to trigger it off. Let us know how things go
smiley-smile.gif

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
As a person who suffered from Ulcerated colitis and have a internal pouch fitted since 2001, which means i need to go upto 8 times a day. we have owned a small Duetto campervan since 2006 and travelled all over europe and UK with no problem. It's really down to going for it and this will raise YOUR confidence and self esteem. Enjoy........

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have just read this blog with interest, as I have crohns.
I just joined the site today as I'm looking at purchasing my first MH and want some tips and advice, I never thought I would end up reading an article about IBS etc, and the positive aspects a MH can play. But the comments all make a lot of sense from a toilets being close at hand and therefore feel more relxed when out and about, so excellent stuff to read.
Now the hard part choose a MH haha !!
Ta
Steve

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
KILLIPIE- it's great to hear that you've had a good week away. It's also reassuring to hear that someone else is a worrier like me! My anxiety levels can be awful - all because I worry about IBS. Vicious circle! I understand what you meant about being well on holiday and worse when you come home (happens to me all the time).
Annoyingly, we still haven't been away in our MH. We discovered in May that it had a rotten floor. Many arguments with Swift and the dealer later, we're having to pay for the job ourselves. Happily though, we've found a lovely local guy to do the job at a price we can afford. So we ended up taking our summer holiday in a little holiday let in Aviemore. I have to say, the journey in the car from my home to Aviemore just about made me faint with anxiety. I was in a right old state. My hubby had a real job getting me in the car! I really missed having the MH for the journey. It's hopefully getting fixed this weekend - I will be so grateful to have it back! I hope you are keeping well just now and thanks for sharing your experience too.
smiley-laughing.gif

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
JENIAN said:
As a person who suffered from Ulcerated colitis and have a internal pouch fitted since 2001, which means i need to go upto 8 times a day. we have owned a small Duetto campervan since 2006 and travelled all over europe and UK with no problem. It's really down to going for it and this will raise YOUR confidence and self esteem. Enjoy........

I really admire you - how amazing to do all that travelling with your condition. I need to give myself a good kick and get out there!

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
SteveD said:
I have just read this blog with interest, as I have crohns.
I just joined the site today as I'm looking at purchasing my first MH and want some tips and advice, I never thought I would end up reading an article about IBS etc, and the positive aspects a MH can play. But the comments all make a lot of sense from a toilets being close at hand and therefore feel more relxed when out and about, so excellent stuff to read.
Now the hard part choose a MH haha !!
Ta
Steve

Steve - how have you got on in your MH search? Don't be put off by my comments about my rotten floor in mine. I was devastated at the time and thought all was lost! But it's getting fixed and not as costly as I thought. But I would just say to you - just get any MH you're seiously interested in checked out! Even if you lie down under the MH and poke your finger into the floor above you - it it feels soft in anyway - WALK AWAY! It was a problem with Swift Vans from about 2005 - 2009 I think and the dealer will not check for it.

As for your chrons - I hope you're feeling well just now. It's a very painful condition. Having the toilet aboard makes a huge difference. It allows you to get off the beaten track. We've had some lovely day-trips that I would never have agreed to in the car, simply because of the long stretches of road without toilets. So, go for it. Do lots of research before you buy and if you can get to a show, even better. It allows you to check out all the various lay-outs that suit your needs.
Take care

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Gillian, I have had I.B S for 50 years or more I dont look on it as a dissability more an inconvenience,! having a loo on board is great especially during the night and times that a mad dash across a camping field is impossible.You do know that worrying is the worst offender of I.B S also diet watching is one of the best ways to avoid episodes !! my youngest sister has now been prescribed Imodium daily she has it that bad! I on the other hand never leave home without it but dont take it daily, over the years I have taken lots of meds; but nothing will stop it only avoidence and knowing just what starts it off. Enjoy your motorhoming I love it I wouldnt like to go back to Hotel holidays after the freedom and privacy our motorhome provides us. Also going on Trip buses is a NoNo especially when your O.H has to ask the driver to stop somewhere!!!!!!!!!!! how embarrasing is that LOL.

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello Gillian, just joined the forum, so a bit late on this subject, dont know how far you've got.
I am now 68yrs and have had Ulcerative Colitis since 10yrs, we bought a motorhome in 2005, knew nothing about them. i wish we had done it decades ago, it is wonderful, we dont usually stop on sites, we have made our home fully self sufficient, refillable gas, on board 2 killowat generator, an extra toilet cassette, an extra water tank (100lts), 2killowat inverter, roof mounted air-con, SOG system, dedicated freezer, etc, etc. we have a rescue dog (battersea),(the reason we got a motorhome in the first place), we have been to Europe quite a lot, the dog makes you stop regularly and go for short walks, which is very good for you !!
In short Gillian, just go for it, and i guarantee you will feel the same as me, why did'nt i do it a long time ago.
I do hope this helps, and if i can be of any further help, my email is fj.rc30@virgin.net
Kind regards, Geoff

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for such supportive replies. I'm enjoying our MH immensley - toilet on board makes such a difference. I'm having some other tummy troubles just now - think I need my gallbladder out too! Been pretty unwell of late, but I would be bereft without my MH.

I hope everyone is well and enjoyed Christmas. Happy New Year!x

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts