P I R alarms

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi our new van has a pir alarm fitted are they reliable as i don't want to wake up the neighbours.
Its on a Swift Challenger if that has any relevance.

Steve.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Our previous 'van was a Senator Indiana and the alarm was always going off for no reason - I never did solve the problem and relied on the hitch and wheel locks for security. Our latest (Unicorn Cartegena) also has a PIR alarm and we've had no trouble with it whatsoever so perhaps they've improved things over the years.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We too have a P I R alarm on our Swift Challenger and yes, it's loud. :eek:hmy:
Check that the alarm lever is set to the middle position (our alarm is under a front seat).
It should only go off if the alarm has been set with the fob and then there's movement inside your van. Ours is one bleep for 'alarm set' when we go out and two bleeps for 'alarm off' when we get back.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The alarm on our avondale did have a habit of going off when sites close to the site road. The answer was it picked up people walking close to the front of the caravan and we needed to pull the front centre blind down when leaving the caravan on site.

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
If the alarm on the van is the same as our new Sterling then the PIR sensitivity is adjustable - ours is set at the lowest sensitivity after a spurious alarm as the sun came up.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Bailey problem is I believe unique to them. There was I am told a problem with remote actuation using too few wavelenghths. This meant that on occasions owners were setting off each others alarms when they were parked close together. This was known on the early Unicorns and may also have affected late Senators.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts