PLEASE HELP QUICK

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Sorry for this but I forgot to pull y he wore over the hitch and it’s gone through as you can see

Can we still drive but with no ATC?

IMG_3940.jpeg

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Of course you can, it's just that the ATC if needed at some point, won't function.
If stopped re lights the statutory defence is
"I checked them before I started this journey"
Very difficult to disprove that! Just saying

Sep 26, 2023
Visit site
FS our rear lights are not working either

And I presume the brakes

What the hell do we do? ???
Black socket is all legal driving stuff, grey socket is auxiliary stuff and reverse lights (not legal on the trailer). If it's the grey you went through, tow for now and cut and re apply plug later.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Black socket is all legal driving stuff, grey socket is auxiliary stuff and reverse lights (not legal on the trailer). If it's the grey you went through, tow for now and cut and re apply plug later.
Only problem is I cannot signal entering or leaving motorways which is what I am getting worried about :( and no brake lights

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
That would worry me too.
If you are not technical enough to shorten the cable and refit the plug ( we would be), can you ring a mobile tech who might do it for you. The site may know someone.
Otherwise are you with Green Flag? The caravan has “broken down”
Mel

Reactions: DaveA1 and Hutch
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
So if I was to cut the wires and reattach them all correctly and insulate tape each wire I should be ok?

I would disconnect from car and then just to confirm would I be right in saying there is no electricity coming from the caravan from the battery and I’m not going to get zapped?

Reactions: GaryB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ooops, you are not the only one to have done that.
Yes if you trim back the wires and correctly join them all should be good for a temporary fix. To be on the safe side disconnect a terminal from the battery while you do the repair then reconnect afterwards.
Good luck.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Presumably you have been able to pull over somewhere safely off road. It maybe that you could temporarily rewire the two ends together, although its a few inches shorter to achieve this. It will need a new cable between junction box on the caravan to the 13 pin plug. Certainly I would not wish to drive without any (legal) lights on the rear of the van for the risk of someone running into the rear. I would reiterate the advice to disconnect the lead from the car and a battery terminal on the caravan. I think fuses will need checking - possibly in van and car as shorting of the exposed wires is possible. Whether you're heading to home or to a site you should be able to locate an AWS techie who would replace for you.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
13 pin. We stripped the wires and reconnected with insulation tape and then duct tape the lot. Lights are now working but ATC didn’t click on. Heard a couple of sparks when I reconnected the battery so I presume I have blown a fuse for the ATC.

We were stopped at a services that we weren’t allowed to be in (just our luck) but Mrs managed to wiggle out the £100 fine as she ran in and said we had broken down 😂

Going to check fuses at next service station caravans are allowed in!

But main thing is WE HAVE LIGHTS! 💡
Is it a 13 pin or is it the black 7 pin you've hit? I thought it was the grey socket you've hit.

Reactions: Mel and GaryB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been there done that, now always carry a length of electrical strip connector with at least 13 connectors, haven't needed it since I started carrying it, so now is just a lucky charm!

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Did the same thing shortly after buying our van many years ago.
Stripped each wire back and rejoined them using block connectors and insulating tape. Whole lot wrapped u in gaffa tape.
Still a bit long so when towing I tie a chord around it and the ALKO handle.
Still like it 12 years later 🤓

May 30, 2024
Visit site
Does anyone know which fuse and location for the ATC?

Been under the seats but can’t see anything which describes ATC on the panels.
I hope you're back underway - I wouldn't be worrying about the ATC - not everyone has that anyway.

I was worried for these people when I saw the photo on the 'Fancy a new tow car' thread the other week - I hope they made it wherever they were going. Or spotted it on their final pre-departure check!

PXL_20240719_130819723.jpg

Reactions: Danddandy
May 10, 2024
Visit site
Oooooh nice car though. Just considering one of those as our next trusty steed and tow car.
Knicker elastic. Length of knicker elastic round the cable and looped over the alko handle. Still some give but doesn’t droop.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our lights are not working also, and I presume also the brakes

God I’m so worried now and peed off with myself
Your caravan brakes are not electric they function by the interaction of the hitch and towball via mechanical cable operation.

Ignore ATC it shouldn’t be required if you van is loaded correctly and you drive steadily. I never had a caravan with ATC and didn’t have any heart stopping snakes. It’s a back up but not a substitute for doing things properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxo Appeal
May 10, 2024
Visit site
As Clive says, your brakes will be fine. Will saxo have to put the ATC into the mode you use if you get a red light though? Possibly not as no power?

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
Hope you got back safe - personally I would have stripped the cables and taped them back up.

Sorry for the silly question but I tow an old van so what's an ATC?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I always used to loop our cable into a pigtail but on one occasion it unraveled and wore through several conductors! I called MayDay as we were on the hard shoulder and they did a temporary repair with choc-blocks and tape. I now use an elasticated bungee cord to keep it tight against the hitch but with enough “give” to pull through should it be needed.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks, thanks for all the help today, we were all in complete panic stations

Managed to tape wires up and because we would arrive too late to store the caravan, we ended up booking one more night away beside St Andrews.

Just been in for a bite to eat and now playing cards.

Ok, just to confirm. Is there a fuse for the ATC so I can check in the morning?

We have a Swift Challenger

@Deejuk ATC is to stop snaking, but as Clive mentioned, as long as your drive carefully and have the caravan filled correctly, there should be no issues

Reactions: Deejuk
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
About a month ago our caravan was recovered by Green Flag. Unfortunately along the way home 170 miles the cable came out of the socket and dragged on the ground. Cost to replace cable and plug was £104, but GF paid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts