Problems of Contactless and Click and Collect

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
All this click stuff you don’t need your pin no. Today, first time in weeks I needed the pin. A blank😥😥😥Tried twice. No go.
Paid cash. However an hour later it came back to me. Not the numbers but where on the key pad I hit the four slots.I hate all this IT🤬🤬🤬

• Haha
Reactions: Gagakev and Hutch
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
All this click stuff you don’t need your pin no. Today, first time in weeks I needed the pin. A blank😥😥😥Tried twice. No go.
Paid cash. However an hour later it came back to me. Not the numbers but where on the key pad I hit the four slots.I hate all this IT🤬🤬🤬

It does this to protect you, by entering your pin you are verifying that the card is still in your possession.

The rules they apply to decide how often this happens, depends on your bank and your spending profile.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wifey asked me to get money out for her, using her card, I hit my PIN number twice, before I realised. Removed her card and used my own.
She was a happy bunny , until I got her to pay the lunchtime bill in the pub.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

I always did cash before this COVID lark, never even had my own bank account !!
But stood in a queue supporting a local coffee wagon waiting to be served I got to second place and read CARD ONLY - NO CASH .
No bank account , no card, so no coffee.
Forced to open an account the following week at the ripe old age of 59 back then.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I always did cash before this COVID lark, never even had my own bank account !!
But stood in a queue supporting a local coffee wagon waiting to be served I got to second place and read CARD ONLY - NO CASH .
No bank account , no card, so no coffee.
Forced to open an account the following week at the ripe old age of 59 back then.
Hi Kev I only use the debit card if i need to otherwise we pay cash if we can ;)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We went to a pub last summer, sitting in the garden, then found out we could only order drinks and food through the "Green King" app on a phone. Got up and went to somewhere else.

Southerners please don't be offended but IMO this is all part of the metrocentric view of the UK that assumes everyone is online (or has access to it,) everyone has and lives on a smartphone, everyone has smart banking cards of which all have contactless facilities, everyone is prepared to and is capable of doing everything by an app, and everyone trusts the systems with which they interface. If that were true how come many (most?) banks for just one example give the facility for contactless to be deactivated on their cards?

When them's in high places realise that there is a world out there that doesn't have access to, cannot access 'smart' facilities or functionality or just doesn't want to we might have a good start point. Interesting to note in our current inflationary times that a single mother will be interviewed and says she cannot pay the rent, cannot feed her child/children, or cannot heat their home BUT still sits there with a smartphone in her hand?

Whatever happened to values I wonder.......

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Southerners please don't be offended but IMO this is all part of the metrocentric view of the UK that assumes everyone is online (or has access to it,) everyone has and lives on a smartphone, everyone has smart banking cards of which all have contactless facilities, everyone is prepared to and is capable of doing everything by an app, and everyone trusts the systems with which they interface. If that were true how come many (most?) banks for just one example give the facility for contactless to be deactivated on their cards?

When them's in high places realise that there is a world out there that doesn't have access to, cannot access 'smart' facilities or functionality or just doesn't want to we might have a good start point. Interesting to note in our current inflationary times that a single mother will be interviewed and says she cannot pay the rent, cannot feed her child/children, or cannot heat their home BUT still sits there with a smartphone in her hand?

Whatever happened to values I wonder.......

I agree that there are sectors of the population that are becoming disenfranchised because they do not have access to the 'technlogy' that's being forced upon us. We have elderly people in our community that have only had a phone line within the last few years, prefering to use the phone box. In a few years time when conventional landlines disappear they'll face the dilemma of having to get broadband if they still want to use a phone, which will then be digital. Or get a mobile phone in an area with poor signal and face the frustration of trying to use that.

Speaking of which there is an increase in the number of security codes being sent to a mobile phone when on-line transactions are made. While this is a good thing some organisations offer no alternative. I recently had to switch mobile phone service provider because the signal got so bad at home we couldn't get these codes. The new provider gives us a better signal but also has Wifi Calling so we always get a connection.

FWIW: We asked the bank of our main account to provide us with non- contactless cards and they did. We also have some smaller accounts that do have contactless cards which we use but the cards are in RFID sleeves in our wallets or purses. We did this after my wife got her bag too near the card reader and the transaction was made on a card that wasn't the one in her hand.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....IT is definitely is a lot easier for some people as we are all different.
I have a logical brain and I'm on the Aspergers spectrum.....for me it's a doddle and I'm a southerner ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
....IT is definitely is a lot easier for some people as we are all different.
I have a logical brain and I'm on the Aspergers spectrum.....for me it's a doddle and I'm a southerner ;)
It is good to see that this has been a positive impact on your life and you are able to utilise this to your advantage, Best of luck in the future.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The number of things you should have passwords and pin numbers for is the problem but I manage by just using the forgotten password on some sites. My problem with pin numbers was when at one time I had different numbers for the three cards I had but could identify them by colour and design. One year they were all replaced by black ones and I had a couple of problems when I tried he number for the card I meant to use and not the one I had got out. Luckily now I have three different colours again so that problem has gone.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
The number of things you should have passwords and pin numbers for is the problem but I manage by just using the forgotten password on some sites
A password vault is good for this, you just need to remember 1 password to open the vault.
As I have to access thousands of computers at work and they all have different usernames and passwords it's the only way I could cope. But it's really useful for personal use too.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The idea of technology leaving people behind is far from new. Printing, spinning, weaving and the industrial revolution on the whole. Such is progress.

Re tech. This was recognised by the current government some time ago who provided myself and a colleague with a substantial amount of money to tackle this locally. We had a free hand to purchase and train ourselves with hardware and software over a deliberately wide spectrum. We facilitated this to people and companies (to an extent). As all of them were trying hard to find there way through the onslaught of technology.

We were recognised as being highly successful. That was 1984. But as technology advances the problem still exists. Nowadays I manage fairly well. But admit to finding most social media highly confusing. It fascinates me to see how younger members of my family fly through it.

Is the answer to stand still. I don’t think so. But we do have to make provision for the Luddite’s regardless as to whether that’s deliberate or by circumstances. By enlarge I think society do that. But for those who do have difficulty they need to request help rather than attempting to drag back progress.

I recently saw a program on an African town. They had done away with cash altogether. Absolutely everyone did all transactions with their smart phone. To them is was the norm.

Does anyone still use cheques? Just last week I had a large bill to pay for work done at home. “How do you want paying“ I asked, cheque is OK they said. Sorry said I, what about BAC’s. I think they were shocked that we had that ability.

I will now stand clear!

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I recently saw a program on an African town. They had done away with cash altogether. Absolutely everyone did all transactions with their smart phone. To them is was the norm.
John
Probably because in Somaliland no one had much cash anyway? However in probably the majority of African towns traditional bartering is used quite successful without Smartphones and cash. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The idea of technology leaving people behind is far from new. Printing, spinning, weaving and the industrial revolution on the whole. Such is progress.

Re tech. This was recognised by the current government some time ago who provided myself and a colleague with a substantial amount of money to tackle this locally. We had a free hand to purchase and train ourselves with hardware and software over a deliberately wide spectrum. We facilitated this to people and companies (to an extent). As all of them were trying hard to find there way through the onslaught of technology.

We were recognised as being highly successful. That was 1984. But as technology advances the problem still exists. Nowadays I manage fairly well. But admit to finding most social media highly confusing. It fascinates me to see how younger members of my family fly through it.

Is the answer to stand still. I don’t think so. But we do have to make provision for the Luddite’s regardless as to whether that’s deliberate or by circumstances. By enlarge I think society do that. But for those who do have difficulty they need to request help rather than attempting to drag back progress.

Does anyone still use cheques? Just last week I had a large bill to pay for work done at home. “How do you want paying“ I asked, cheque is OK they said. Sorry said I, what about BAC’s. I think they were shocked that we had that ability.

I will now stand clear!

John
My BIL is definitely non tech he has a non smart phone and even then can only make and receive calls. So his GP and hospital either ohone or write. No text messages. When I go to see him I check any missed messages or calls and delete them to clear the lists. As far as payments regular ones are variable DD and for cheques he goes to the BS who either write him a cheque, or if electronic transfer is available they do that.
His problem will come if he loses mobility and cannot get to the BS, or mobile provider to top up his phone. So we have fall back plans should he encounter difficulty. But it’s very frustrating that he will not consider a LPOA.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Probably because in Somaliland no one had much cash anyway? However in probably the majority of African towns traditional bartering is used quite successful without Smartphones and cash. :D

I forget where in Africa this was but I saw it on a documentary about cashless societies, about 3 years ago.

Googling ‘cashless societies‘ shows Sweden are making big strides that way.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I forget where in Africa this was but I saw it on a documentary about cashless societies, about 3 years ago.

Googling ‘cashless societies‘ shows Sweden are making big strides that way.

John
Actually you can blame them as it takes a wheel barrow full of money to do even a simple shop. Zimbabwe went the same way where it cost hundreds of thousands to buy a loaf of bread. The $0.01 coin was worth more in metal value than the lowest denomination bank note. They were issuing trillion dollar notes at one stage!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I agree that there are sectors of the population that are becoming disenfranchised because they do not have access to the 'technlogy' that's being forced upon us. We have elderly people in our community that have only had a phone line within the last few years, prefering to use the phone box. In a few years time when conventional landlines disappear they'll face the dilemma of having to get broadband if they still want to use a phone, which will then be digital. Or get a mobile phone in an area with poor signal and face the frustration of trying to use that.

Speaking of which there is an increase in the number of security codes being sent to a mobile phone when on-line transactions are made. While this is a good thing some organisations offer no alternative. I recently had to switch mobile phone service provider because the signal got so bad at home we couldn't get these codes. The new provider gives us a better signal but also has Wifi Calling so we always get a connection.

FWIW: We asked the bank of our main account to provide us with non- contactless cards and they did. We also have some smaller accounts that do have contactless cards which we use but the cards are in RFID sleeves in our wallets or purses. We did this after my wife got her bag too near the card reader and the transaction was made on a card that wasn't the one in her hand.

Slight correction. No-one will have to get broadband to have a phone when we have all moved to VoIP over fibre (2025-26 in theory.) The phone supplier - lets say BT - will provide an interface unit (not quite a router) into which an ordinary phone or DECT system can be plugged, or failing that will supply a walkiephone (presumably DECT) which will work direct to the interface unit. If the customer decides to have BT broadband then it is just a case of swapping the interface.

The catch (metrocentricity strikes again!) is that if the mains fails and the user doesn't have a UPS the user is scuppered. Unless you live close to a main cellular site that has a backup generator you will also be without a mobile or mi-fi after the local site's batteries fail. (No? Just ask Norther Power Grid about what happened during Storm Arwen last December.)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Slight correction. No-one will have to get broadband to have a phone when we have all moved to VoIP over fibre (2025-26 in theory.) The phone supplier - lets say BT - will provide an interface unit (not quite a router) into which an ordinary phone or DECT system can be plugged, or failing that will supply a walkiephone (presumably DECT) which will work direct to the interface unit. If the customer decides to have BT broadband then it is just a case of swapping the interface.

The catch (metrocentricity strikes again!) is that if the mains fails and the user doesn't have a UPS the user is scuppered. Unless you live close to a main cellular site that has a backup generator you will also be without a mobile or mi-fi after the local site's batteries fail. (No? Just ask Norther Power Grid about what happened during Storm Arwen last December.)
Looks like our old plug in handset may be up for retirement before too long. We always keep it handy in a cupboard just by the telecom socket in the hall in case if power cuts. Doesn’t matter if our local mobile mast has a generator as the signal to the mobiles is poor when it’s powered up anyway. So a generator is superfluous as far as our mobiles are concerned.

Reactions: Buckman
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I think you have misunderstood.
When BT moves over to VoIP in 2025/6 (in theory) you will no longer have cables to your property, only a fibre so having a spare phone to plug in is useless. Ergo unless you have a UPS to keep it going, when the mains fails your fibre termination will also go off and your phone service ceases.
No offence, but you say your mobile signal is poor. Is that with <all> providers or just with the one you are using now? There are many places where one provider's signal is poor but another provider's signal is stonkingly huge.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

Still the outcome is "retirement" for Clive's old system powered phone, and ours though that is not in semi-retirement, its live and in full employment in the master bedroom even till today. Another expense looming!!!!!

Re the more general thread theme, contactless.
Yesterday my wife's credit card was refused the contact thing, "transaction denied".
So the retailer said I will set the machine up again and please enter your PIN, which they set up, only this time on placing the card in it came up with "Credit limit exceeded".
We went into mental panic as I knew that was £7k, and as it was only a day into the new period we knew we only had one or two minor transactions, like this £6 one.

Rang through to card provider, it transpires thankfully all is well in terms of funds, but apparently my wife had it appeared been asked twice recently to confirm herself by a transaction via her PIN. Which she tells me now she had tried but it failed, so she used another card. The card company seeing two attempted false PINs then put zero as her credit limit, hence yesterdays panic.
All will be sorted as they are posting a letter giving some unlocking PIN, we have to use at an ATM.
Anyway, the point here is it is very important these contactless days we remember the right PIN, doing that has not passed.
Sadly, with aging, my wife now can't remember newer PINs, she only correctly, and very clearly recalls older ones which we really ought not use decade in decade out.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When BT moves over to VoIP in 2025/6 (in theory) you will no longer have cables to your property, only a fibre so having a spare phone to plug in is useless. Ergo unless you have a UPS to keep it going, when the mains fails your fibre termination will also go off and your phone service ceases.
No offence, but you say your mobile signal is poor. Is that with <all> providers or just with the one you are using now? There are many places where one provider's signal is poor but another provider's signal is stonkingly huge.

I said in my post #21 that my spare plug in phone “ may be up for retirement”. I am not planning to have a UPS. I thought my post was quite clear, perhaps it is you that has misunderstood. Why should I take “ offence” just because I said that mobile signal in the house is poor? I do know that mobile signals can vary between providers, having been using one since One2One supplied “ electronic bricks”

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are in a rural area and do not have mobile signal inside our home and you need to walk up the road to get signal and then youj are lucky to get 2 bars showing for signal strength.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts