Puncture on motorway No Spare Wheel. Rubbish Tyre Inflator

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Not all cars have TPMS, or even if it is fitted not all give pressure readings

You are probably right that not all cars or caravans have TMPS, but I was saying what I have and how I exploit having it, no more or less.

In respect to valves leaking, disturbing by unseating a Schrader valve has to be a primary cause for an otherwise non leaking valve to initiate it leaking.
That the chances of a Schrader valve leak might be very low, does not alter that disturbing it is way more likely to initiate a leak that simply leaving it undisturbed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never had to use one. The car still has the well for a spare and I have kept meaning to get one for near six years. A bit late now as we are thinking of replacing the car.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Well you just know what's going to happen now don't you?

I cannot recall the last time I had a puncture that required a wheel to be changed, but that doesn't alter the fact I won't travel without a spare.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Forecourt pressure gauges were notorious for being inaccurate - and yet a simple "pencil-type" gauge has always had good accuracy.
Still use the pressure gauge and tread depth checker that came free with the "AA Book of the Car".
They are more than 50 years old and still in good condition.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
A further issue with forecourt pump gauges, is the near unavoidable issue that we can't get our vehicles to them without the road wheel's tyres heating up.
Whereas, any normally quoted tyre pressure is refenced to the tyre being at the prevailing ambient.
Though, if found under pressure is a pretty sound bet the issue is more than indicated, certainly in need of proper checking.

Caravan tyres, particularly SA running typically closer to their loading rating are generally more subjected to this heating up than we see with domestic cars.

The spares, as they are not in use though of course are not affected by that problem.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A further issue with forecourt pump gauges, is the near unavoidable issue that we can't get our vehicles to them without the road wheel's tyres heating up.
Whereas, any normally quoted tyre pressure is refenced to the tyre being at the prevailing ambient.
Though, if found under pressure is a pretty sound bet the issue is more than indicated, certainly in need of proper checking.

Caravan tyres, particularly SA running typically closer to their loading rating are generally more subjected to this heating up than we see with domestic cars.

The spares, as they are not in use though of course are not affected by that problem.
I have only ever checked tyre presses when they are cold, unless absolutely unavoidable when on a journey the I allow a modest increase of 4psi for heating. But would then recheck and adjust when the journey ended. I also avoid checking tyres when the sun has been on one side of the vehicle and not the other. So its a. cloudy day job, or early morning later afternoon.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

In the olden days, before I had a 12v tyre pump, I'd use a forecourt pump/gauge to add 5-10 psi to each tyre and drive the short distance home - the following morning before the sun got onto the tyres, I'd go out and drop the pressures down to specification.

Caravan tyres should heat up any more than car tyres, not if they're at their recommended pressure.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If when cold I inflate the tyres on the Jeep to 2.4 bar (34psi)it stays at that pressure for most of the journey. However if one of the tyres is at 2.3bar (33.3psi) from cold after a couple of miles the pressure will show 2.4bar and stay there. The ones already at 2.4bar stay at that pressure reading.

However with the caravan the Tyrepal TPMS may show 3.1bar(45psi) cold and increase to 3.4ba(50psi)r on a long journey. If at 3.3bar (49psi)which is the correct pressure after awhile it will show 3.7bar(54psi)

Not sure why one TPMS shows very little or no increase, but the other quite a difference.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If when cold I inflate the tyres on the Jeep to 2.4 bar (34psi)it stays at that pressure for most of the journey. However if one of the tyres is at 2.3bar (33.3psi) from cold after a couple of miles the pressure will show 2.4bar and stay there. The ones already at 2.4bar stay at that pressure reading.

However with the caravan the Tyrepal TPMS may show 3.1bar(45psi) cold and increase to 3.4ba(50psi)r on a long journey. If at 3.3bar (49psi)which is the correct pressure after awhile it will show 3.7bar(54psi)

Not sure why one TPMS shows very little or no increase, but the other quite a difference.
It's normal for tyre pressure to increase by 0.3 bar (4-5 psi) between cold set pressure and mid-journey pressure - your caravan TPMS seems to be acting normally but the Jeep one seems strange - unless it's electronically adjusted to do just that - other car makers electronically adjust the temperature gauge so that it reads 90C (normal) at all temperature between 60 and 110.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Touareg comes with a collapsible, not space saver, spare. Inflating will require some pretty continuous pumping to unfold the darling. As stated by Roger and in my case the VW oem pump is connected to the live remote battery terminals. Never had to use it but it is no lightweight. Any one towing with a puncture repair goo kit is going to shed many tears waiting for a breakdown truck😜

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Touareg comes with a collapsible, not space saver, spare. Inflating will require some pretty continuous pumping to unfold the darling. As stated by Roger and in my case the VW oem pump is connected to the live remote battery terminals. Never had to use it but it is no lightweight. Any one towing with a puncture repair goo kit is going to shed many tears waiting for a breakdown truck😜
Does yours have the BOSE sub woofer inside it? Quiet a neat arrangement.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I had a 2016 BMW520D a few years back and if the sun was on one side all day I’d get a tyre pressure warning appear on the dashboard for the two tyres that were exposed to the sun. My current and previous Volvo aren’t quite so sensitive!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Well after saying in #22 that I will trust in the recovery service, I Have changed my mind. A spare wheel kit is £212. So I shopped around and found one on eBay for £95. Including delivery. It says it is new. Now on order.

My problem was checking if it was the right size as it is 16 inch and my wheels are 17 inch. I understand that the difference is taken up by the tyre profile. But I still wanted reasurance.

After an hour of internet searching, I found an Australian forum and someone had posted to look on the drivers door pilar. 16 inch is corect for me.

As a secondary, but important benefit of having a spare is in the event of an accident. Many years ago my Citroen XM was hit in the back so hard that only the front passenger door could be opened. Even the sun roof was creased. I was doing 40mph so the VW Golf that hit me must have been travelling at some speed. I just managed to drive my car off the road. The VW did a runner.

All 4 occupants of my car were fine, I am convinced that much of the force of the impact was taken by the spare tyre.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well after saying in #22 that I will trust in the recovery service, I Have changed my mind. A spare wheel kit is £212. So I shopped around and found one on eBay for £95. Including delivery. It says it is new. Now on order.

My problem was checking if it was the right size as it is 16 inch and my wheels are 17 inch. I understand that the difference is taken up by the tyre profile. But I still wanted reasurance.

After an hour of internet searching, I found an Australian forum and someone had posted to look on the drivers door pilar. 16 inch is corect for me.

As a secondary, but important benefit of having a spare is in the event of an accident. Many years ago my Citroen XM was hit in the back so hard that only the front passenger door could be opened. Even the sun roof was creased. I was doing 40mph so the VW Golf that hit me must have been travelling at some speed. I just managed to drive my car off the road. The VW did a runner.

All 4 occupants of my car were fine, I am convinced that much of the force of the impact was taken by the spare tyre.

John
My Gen 3 XC70 came with a space saver as standard but it was 50 mm less on OD than the cars 17 inch alloys. Even the standard one for my Kia 18 inch OEM alloys is 20 mm less in OD. Seems it’s a bit of a lottery even from the OEM ones.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Jeep has 20" tyres, but the spare is 18" with probably the same profile and tread.
My 4wd Superb had a full size spare on a steel wheel. The steel wheel was 16 inch cf the cars 17 inch alloys. But the OD of the spare wheel was the same as that if the OEM alloys just a different aspect ratio. Its tread was very different though as the original tyres had been replaced with unidirectional all seasons. But as a spare it would present no compromise other than to be aware that treads were mismatched and drive accordingly. In fact the steel rim had 50/80 labels in it anyway.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In the 70’s we had a puncture on the M6. No spare. We got someone to bring one out to us. The problem was it was a 14 inch to fit on a 13 inch car. It got us home. But the car sat really high on one corner.

To avoid this, space savers need to be on a different profile. My Volvo had a very high profile space saver which more closely resembled a tractor's front wheel. But when used the car sat correctly.

The one I am just buying for the MG appears, in the photograph, to be a standard tyre, just narrower. On the MG accessories, they only do one choice, but I think the car is sold with 16 and 17 inch wheels. Time will tell.

John

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I had a spacesaver in my Volvo. But the new MG has a goo system. It will take a full spare. But I don't think I will bother. With my poor health I really don’t want to try to change a wheel. I will hope I have a mobile signal and trust in the recovery.
Fair enough, but it will still be quicker if recovery have a spare available to fit imo

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My 4wd Superb had a full size spare on a steel wheel. The steel wheel was 16 inch cf the cars 17 inch alloys. But the OD of the spare wheel was the same as that if the OEM alloys just a different aspect ratio. Its tread was very different though as the original tyres had been replaced with unidirectional all seasons. But as a spare it would present no compromise other than to be aware that treads were mismatched and drive accordingly. In fact the steel rim had 50/80 labels in it anyway.
My 2005 Jeep had the 18" spare to match the road wheels and had an alloy rim. The previous and current have a steel rim.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My 2005 Jeep had the 18" spare to match the road wheels and had an alloy rim. The previous and current have a steel rim.
My Sorento had a full size spare on an OEM alloy with identical tyre too. It even sat underneath the car and could be winched down without having to unload the boot. My worst nightmare when on a journey with a packed car.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My Sorento had a full size spare on an OEM alloy with identical tyre too. It even sat underneath the car and could be winched down without having to unload the boot. My worst nightmare when on a journey with a packed car.
Unfortunately the well in the newer Jeeps cannot accommodate the 20" spare. On the 2005 the spare was winched down, but you sill needed to access the bolt. The previous and current Jeep you need to take everything out the back to access the wheel plus remove all the caravan junk on the top of the spare. LOL! 😆

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts