Replacement mattress

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone - I am a new 'poster' so hope I do everything right!
My partner and I are thinking of scrapping the old mattress from our fixed bed caravan and replacing it with a memory foam mattress. We thought that by getting one made entirely of memory foam, it wont be too tricky for us to surgically remove the corner in a precise and cosmetically pleasing manner.....(sorry, i obviously mean hack the corner off!)
I would guess that we would need one 7 - 8 inches thick (?)
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the weight of this type of mattress at the back of the van would effect stability?
We already use a memory foam mattress topper which is pretty weighty so I am worried that a complete mattress would put too much of a load at the back.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi shelagh. Our new van came with a memory foam mattress at purchase. It was one of the upgrades as a "dealer special". I can't tell you what the weight difference is, but clearly not so great as to be a problem. I will go and measure the thickness in daylight in the next day or two and let you know, but I doubt it is as much as 7 inches. It is blissfully comfy! Companies like Jonic will do you a made to measure mattress. This will save hacking but not money! However other foam providers may be cheaper so check the interweb.
mel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mel,
Thanks for the reply - guess if the dealers do it, it must be ok! Thanks also for the offer of measuring your own mattress, but please do not put yourself to any trouble.
Heres looking forward to comfy nights!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As Mel mentioned bespoke memory foam mattresses are readily available from the internet, a quick google search will reveal several firms who offer this service.
As long as your caravan is correctly loaded and the noseweight is correct the weight of a memory foam mattress shouldn't make much difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts