Replacing cooker

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a Beko cooker that is about 11 years old, has a ceramic hob and two ovens with the fan oven at floor level. Top oven with grill hardly ever used in past 11 years. However a couple of months ago the front small hot plate gave up the ghost. This was followed by the larger rear plate on the same side. Those two are the most used plates. For a call out we are looking at about £190 which includes labour etc.

OH has decided that perhaps it is better to buy another cooker and that is where the fun starts. OH wants one with a single fan oven, no separate grill above the oven and with either ceramic or induction hob, but having difficulty finding such ovens. There may be some, but to us they are unknown brands and we would prefer a known brand.

Although we now have an air fryer that can replace the oven part of the cooker OH still prefers to use the fan oven for baking as air fryer is not large enough for a cake. OH may only bake once or twice a month. If we were to just buying a hob could an expensive option as cabinet, worktop etc required the work will need to be done by a kitchen fitter adding to the cost.

Not sure whether to go ahead with repair or try and satisfy OH and search for single oven?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We went through a period of discussion as we had Rangemaster Classic 90 cm with gas and electric. My wife didn't like it and so when we upgraded the kitchen recently we decide dto go all gas. with a freestanding AEG cooker that sits flush within the units. But it has two good sized ovens the smaller with a grill. AEG do make all electric cookers but they have two ovens. We had the electrics all rewired so when the day comes and gas goes it is a simple one out one in changeover. SMEG make a free-standing all electric with a single oven but unless anyone cooks meat turkeys I cannot see the benefit. Here are the details of the SMEG

Smeg Concert SUK62CMX8 60cm Electric Cooker with Ceramic Hob - Stainless Steel - A/A Rated

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That SMEG is more than I wish to pay and it has two ovens. Many years ago we had a cooker that had one main door for the oven with a warming drawer underneath. The oven had a grill at the top if we wanted to grill anything. It also had a fan for the oven. Something similar is what we are looking for.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know it hasn't been mentioned, but as many of us are from an older age group there is a bigger chance that some of us may have had a pacemaker fitted. If you have a pacemaker you should not use induction hobs, as the strong magnetic field the produce might up set the PM.

Just a head up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I know it hasn't been mentioned, but as many of us are from an older age group there is a bigger chance that some of us may have had a pacemaker fitted. If you have a pacemaker you should not use induction hobs, as the strong magnetic field the produce might up set the PM.

Just a head up.

Thanks. Actually just read about the pace maker issue however apparently when induction is switched on a minimum distance of 60cm is required.

Anyway it seems choice is limited regarding single oven to unkown brands with poor reputations so probably will need to look at double oven.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
At 11 years old I would not be looking for a repair. I am surprised that ceramic hobs are still available. We have had them in the past and they have been a swine to clean, I would hop that they have improved.

I won’t tell you how much we have recently paid for our built in double oven, but it was a lot! We have a Whirlpool induction hob, about 6 years old now and it is extremely good.

I feel sure you can get a single oven, I remember researching for hours. It was very difficult trying to get answers to quite fundamental questions. In the end we got a NEF, that’s because when I phoned to get some answers they took it seriously and called me back with full answers. I also called AEG about one of theirs, the response was abismal.

John

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at the Appliances Direct website.
There are a few firms online who sell white goods.
Whilst updating our kitchen and our daughters we used online suppliers which for major goods was a first for us. But we had found with the only real shops where you could see appliances being Currys or John Lewis The range of choice was restricted and price/ warranty competition was restricted. In the end items came from Currys, AO, Appliance World and Marks Appliances. The latter supplied a in unit fridge freezer. After a couple of days our daughter felt it wasn’t working properly. Next day the service technicians arrived and confirmed it to be faulty. Arrangements were made for a replacement and since her model wasn’t available they asked if she wouldn’t mind a Bosch, at quite a bit more price, but the supplier met the cost.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s not cheap. But I can vouch that the pyrolytic cleaning option really works.

John
You can buy cheaper cookers with pyrolitic cleaning but a single oven in a freestanding cooker is unusual. Our AEG has two ovens with the largest at 70+ litres. Enough for a good sized suckling pig 🐖

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm sure many people are happy with Induction Hobs but our own experience has made us keep clear of these, especially when integrated into the cooker itself.

Some years back we bought a Britannia 100cm Range Cooker with 6 zone Induction Hob. The induction principle was very good but proved to be unreliable.

As is so often the case just a couple of months after the warranty expired there was a loud crack from the cooker and the circuit breaker tripped. When I reset it there was an error code on the cooker which indicated that two of the burners were dead. Unfortunately Britannia had stopped supporting the cooker in Scotland so I'd have to find my own engineer. Since I have a background in electronic and electrical engineering I decided to tackle the job myself.

The 6 burners are controlled in pairs and one of the control boards had blown significantly. I bought a spare from Britannia and fitted it. It had a different problem in that it would stop working after a few minutes when it got warm. I spoke to a Britannia engineer who was very helpful and they agree to replace the control board. This worked. Shortly after this centre two burners went phut! Then sometime later the remaining two burners died.

Each control board was over £400 so we decided to give up and buy a new cooker. Because of sizing and functionality we went with the same cooker but with a Gas Hob - far fewer parts to go wrong.

During this I investigated the reliability of Induction Hobs and as usual with the Internet got conflicting reports but enough negative ones to think we'd made the right decision.... don't go for Induction Hob, although commercial units seem to fair better.

Had the hob been seperate from the ovens then maybe the replacement cost would have been less. I have a friend who has a seperate induction hob but even that died not long after thet'd got it. Easy to replace though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At 11 years old I would not be looking for a repair. I am surprised that ceramic hobs are still available. We have had them in the past and they have been a swine to clean, I would hop that they have improved.

I won’t tell you how much we have recently paid for our built in double oven, but it was a lot! We have a Whirlpool induction hob, about 6 years old now and it is extremely good.

I feel sure you can get a single oven, I remember researching for hours. It was very difficult trying to get answers to quite fundamental questions. In the end we got a NEF, that’s because when I phoned to get some answers they took it seriously and called me back with full answers. I also called AEG about one of theirs, the response was abismal.

John
We need a free standing cooker and it seems that choice has to be double oven. I have been reading reviews on Which and also Trustpilot. Which reviews are good for the item, but obviously they do not have issues with parts from manufacturers. Trustpilot has reviews from people who have used the item and had issues and some are quite scary. Strangely Beko seems to do rather well?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We need a free standing cooker and it seems that choice has to be double oven. I have been reading reviews on Which and also Trustpilot. Which reviews are good for the item, but obviously they do not have issues with parts from manufacturers. Trustpilot has reviews from people who have used the item and had issues and some are quite scary. Strangely Beko seems to do rather well?
We have had Beko appliances and not had any problems. Before we moved here our Beko tall upright freezer was over 12 years old and still working fine. We let it go via Freecycle as we wanted a tall free standing fridge freezer in the kitchen rather than a built in unit.
Even our old caravan tv is Beko and still works fine with all its features and ports aok.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I'm sure many people are happy with Induction Hobs but our own experience has made us keep clear of these, especially when integrated into the cooker itself.

Some years back we bought a Britannia 100cm Range Cooker with 6 zone Induction Hob. The induction principle was very good but proved to be unreliable.

As is so often the case just a couple of months after the warranty expired there was a loud crack from the cooker and the circuit breaker tripped. When I reset it there was an error code on the cooker which indicated that two of the burners were dead. Unfortunately Britannia had stopped supporting the cooker in Scotland so I'd have to find my own engineer. Since I have a background in electronic and electrical engineering I decided to tackle the job myself.

The 6 burners are controlled in pairs and one of the control boards had blown significantly. I bought a spare from Britannia and fitted it. It had a different problem in that it would stop working after a few minutes when it got warm. I spoke to a Britannia engineer who was very helpful and they agree to replace the control board. This worked. Shortly after this centre two burners went phut! Then sometime later the remaining two burners died.

Each control board was over £400 so we decided to give up and buy a new cooker. Because of sizing and functionality we went with the same cooker but with a Gas Hob - far fewer parts to go wrong.

During this I investigated the reliability of Induction Hobs and as usual with the Internet got conflicting reports but enough negative ones to think we'd made the right decision.... don't go for Induction Hob, although commercial units seem to fair better.

Had the hob been seperate from the ovens then maybe the replacement cost would have been less. I have a friend who has a seperate induction hob but even that died not long after thet'd got it. Easy to replace though.

Things do change. Like I said in an earlier post, I was surprised that ceramic hobs are still made because they had a history of being rubbish. And that was my experience for sure. But that was a long time ago and now major manufacturers are still going with them. So I imagine they are much improved.

At one time induction hobs were very expensive. But things are very different now and prices have dropped massively. Also, from my own experience, trouble free.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have more or less decided on a Rangemaster Professional Plus 60cm Electric Cooker with Induction Hob. Mainly due to customer support.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have more or less decided on a Rangemaster Professional Plus 60cm Electric Cooker with Induction Hob. Mainly due to customer support.
Remember you will need steel based pots and pans for the induction hob. As I found out when we changed from Halogen to induction.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Remember you will need steel based pots and pans for the induction hob. As I found out when we changed from Halogen to induction.
We have those already for our ceramic hob. At the time we had to chuck out our old pots which were in excellent condition however daughter appreciated them.
Only thing we cannot use on it is a small one egg frying pan, but have a gas cooker as a backup for those winter days when there is no power. LOL!

Reactions: Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site

Strictly speaking they must have a good Ferrous content and this can be acheived in different ways depending on make. Some non-ferrous pans can have a few ferrous 'dots or plates' on them which are not as efficient as a solid cast iron pan.

You can buy iron plates that sit on the induction hob then your pan of choice sits on the top. Not sure how good this is though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Strictly speaking they must have a good Ferrous content and this can be acheived in different ways depending on make. Some non-ferrous pans can have a few ferrous 'dots or plates' on them which are not as efficient as a solid cast iron pan.

You can buy iron plates that sit on the induction hob then your pan of choice sits on the top. Not sure how good this is though.

When we originally bought our pots and pans they were for an induction hob although we had a ceramic hob. Fancied a fried egg sarmie the other day, but only had a bog standard one egg frying pan from caravan. Couldn't be bothered to drag out camping gas hob. :ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Things do change. Like I said in an earlier post, I was surprised that ceramic hobs are still made because they had a history of being rubbish. And that was my experience for sure. But that was a long time ago and now major manufacturers are still going with them. So I imagine they are much improved.

At one time induction hobs were very expensive. But things are very different now and prices have dropped massively. Also, from my own experience, trouble free.

John
We have a Beko with a double oven with a ceramic hob electric cooker and it now three years old and it been excellent so far we hoping for a few more years yet .

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a Beko with a double oven with a ceramic hob electric cooker and it now three years old and it been excellent so far we hoping for a few more years yet .
We have had good use out of our Beko although in the past 11 years I have had to change top oven element as that went after a few years and also had to change the bulb twice.
Getting it fixed to give to daughter to use when they arrive as they are not bring any furniture with them.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have had good use out of our Beko although in the past 11 years I have had to change top oven element as that went after a few years and also had to change the bulb twice.
Getting it fixed to give to daughter to sue when they arrive as they are not bring any furniture with them.
if i get another eight years out of it i be very happy, how is your daughter has she got a job lined up and hope everything goes to planned when she arrives next year .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts