Sadly 😥😥😥No hope for me😥😥😥

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I will keep thinking about it. Not sure how you go about getting an article published. I have a trip to Borrowdale planned for this October - a good 259 miles one way, which I hope to be a 2 stop tow. If the payload allows (depends on which family members come) I will take the Polestar. I might do that as a blog.
Have a nice time and we will look forward to the blog

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It must be remembered that the site will probably only have one meter for the supply of electric to the site which woudl normally be three phase or HH.
All other meters to pitches will be sub meters and the responsibility of the site owner for repairs, certification, maintenance, checking usage etc. and all that cost the site owner money. If the site owner dos not bother with certification for sub meter as they are not compelled means that you could have a meter reading consumption incorrectly on the pitch and there is no way you can prove it.
Installing remote sub SMART meters that can be read in the main site office would be very expensive and takes years to recoup the outlay.
I think neither of the suggested systems would work, the first would leave the site liable to people just leaving without paying for the power unless the meter can charge making the instalation more expensive and the second is too expensive to instal. Possibly using one of the companies providing charging points on public sites could help, allowing them to charge for the power used or prepaymant cards although I expect the sums involved might be too high for that.
I knpw the CAMH have installed charge points at two sites but have not been therfe so not sure how they work it.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I think neither of the suggested systems would work, the first would leave the site liable to people just leaving without paying for the power unless the meter can charge making the instalation more expensive and the second is too expensive to instal. Possibly using one of the companies providing charging points on public sites could help, allowing them to charge for the power used or prepaymant cards although I expect the sums involved might be too high for that.
I knpw the CAMH have installed charge points at two sites but have not been therfe so not sure how they work it.
Though, having people leave without payment must be an issue already addressed by CLs? They have your club number, so presumably can track you down and have you evicted from the club for persistent infractions?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
South Meadows Northumberland has an EV charger, payable by CC.
There seems to be an unwritten idea that plugging in your EV , being green, is free😵‍💫
Those sites who install them ,must charge enough to recoup their initial investment cost ASAP or at least in say three years. EV cost of charging keeps coming back to what I use on my EHU but of course the two are completely different and EV charge installation expensive.

Reactions: Tobes and Hutch
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
South Meadows Northumberland has an EV charger, payable by CC.
There seems to be an unwritten idea that plugging in your EV , being green, is free😵‍💫
Those sites who install them ,must charge enough to recoup their initial investment cost ASAP or at least in say three years. EV cost of charging keeps coming back to what I use on my EHU but of course the two are completely different and EV charge installation expensive.

I am not sure that all EV drivers think that charging their car should be free. I certainly don’t, and have payed for charging my PHEV and BEV. What is hoped for is availability to charge, but just using a lead via a van is acceptable.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The other way around it on a metered pitch is to charge a flat rate of for instance £3 a night for EHU. This then loaded onto the meter at the beginning of your stay. If you need more you purchase from the office. If you do not use all of it, then you are refunded the balance back to your CC or Debit card. Works for us.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Using an EHU for EV charging is a no no for me. Most charge at 7000watts per hour. I doubt you could achieve that on most EHUs never mind the cost to the site. Metered supply is used on a lot of CLs, usually £1.00 coins. No refunds but you soon realise the average use is less than £1.00 per day,so at worst you may leave behind £1.00 say🙀🙀
The EV point at South Meadows was pay by CC, a fixed amount I think for so many hours supplying a set current.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The other way around it on a metered pitch is to charge a flat rate of for instance £3 a night for EHU. This then loaded onto the meter at the beginning of your stay. If you need more you purchase from the office. If you do not use all of it, then you are refunded the balance back to your CC or Debit card. Works for us.
We are going to a site that metered next season first time but he said exactly what you said if you do not use it you are refunded sounds great to me (y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are going to a site that metered next season first time but he said exactly what you said if you do not use it you are refunded sounds great to me (y)

Makes a lot easier all round and you can monitor your usage. Bonus is stops idiots running fan heater sin the awnings at night and if they do, they are paying for it. We had the air con on auto during the day, but with hot water switched off during day. The fridge was on gas for our 7 night stay.
We did not use gas for heating the water or for heating. The heating would also come on automatically in the morning at about 5.30am if the temperature was below 20C.
We will definitely be using the site again although it cost us nearly £150 for one day! Never visit Clark's Village! :ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Makes a lot easier all round and you can monitor your usage. Bonus is stops idiots running fan heater sin the awnings at night and if they do, they are paying for it. We had the air con on auto during the day, but with hot water switched off during day. The fridge was on gas for our 7 night stay.
We did not use gas for heating the water or for heating. The heating would also come on automatically in the morning at about 5.30am if the temperature was below 20C.
We will definitely be using the site again although it cost us nearly £150 for one day! Never visit Clark's Village! :ROFLMAO:
We be keeping and i on our usage but here hoping it will be very reasonable :)

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Using an EHU for EV charging is a no no for me. Most charge at 7000watts per hour. I doubt you could achieve that on most EHUs never mind the cost to the site. Metered supply is used on a lot of CLs, usually £1.00 coins. No refunds but you soon realise the average use is less than £1.00 per day,so at worst you may leave behind £1.00 say🙀🙀
The EV point at South Meadows was pay by CC, a fixed amount I think for so many hours supplying a set current.
7kW is just for a dedicated 32A charger. Most EVs come with a “Granny lead”, a charger that plugs into a standard 13A socket, and will charge at a max of 10A or sometimes 13A. Some allow you set the charge rate at 8A or 6A too. And an EV will often also have an AC charge rate control to set a maximum. It allows charging from a supply with a lower maximum draw (like a 10A or 8A) CL, and to prevent tripping your supply when other items are using it.
Works a treat.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I pointed this one out I think on our EV discussions-we've expressed our interest to the factory already and had a very nice response but at the mo we're not in the position to be spending 70k on an EV-will keep you posted!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well i am keeping my car for few years yet looking for a EV then but not at 70k it have to be more reasonable and at a budget we can afford and that our choice :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Kia EV 6 is amazing.
0-62 mph. 3.5 secs
Top Speed 161 mph
range 300 miles +
circa £40k.

Maybe sooner than later they will think about caravanners and increase towing ability range and sacrifice part of the electrifying speed performance😜😜

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Kia EV 6 is amazing.
0-62 mph. 3.5 secs
Top Speed 161 mph
range 300 miles +
circa £40k.

Maybe sooner than later they will think about caravanners and increase towing ability range and sacrifice part of the electrifying speed performance😜😜
The top performance one is well over £40k but there are two with lower top speed and good range at lower prices and 1600 kg towing capability. Not bad for starters. Oh and the heat pump pack is only £900. Does that replace a gas boiler😀

https://www.evehicletechnology.com/... range without increasing physical dimensions.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Pardon me for going off at a tangent ...a bit.

Be aware that if buying a car on PCP or leasing one, you can only take it abroad for 60 days per annum.
......which is a bummer for we caravan towing retirees!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Pardon me for going off at a tangent ...a bit.

Be aware that if buying a car on PCP or leasing one, you can only take it abroad for 60 days per annum.
......which is a bummer for we caravan towing retirees!
I only ever went into Europe for 45 days at a time,. And now I wonder why I done that anyway, France was closed for half of the time, Switzerland was way too expensive, Belgium has lovely beer, but the bread is too sweet. And they put Mayo on their Frites.
Staying in Blighty where I can moan about the weather.

Ok call me grumpy, and I cannot afford a pcp for my car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Amazing article Clive. So the Koreans are ahead of the rest of the world ? The pace of EV development is electrifying😉
Dusty
perhaps that’s why we were both early “ adoptees” of Korean cars. And Kia are still confident enough to give the 7 year warranty too on their electrified models.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dusty
perhaps that’s why we were both early “ adoptees” of Korean cars. And Kia are still confident enough to give the 7 year warranty too on their electrified models.
I don't think there is any real surprise that Kia continue to offer the world leading 7 year warranty on their new EV's. There is far less mechanica stuff to go wrong, and far less repetitive vibration from and engine. I have seen that other manufacturers are offering longer warranties on motors and batteries, so there must be something good about them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there is any real surprise that Kia continue to offer the world leading 7 year warranty on their new EV's. There is far less mechanica stuff to go wrong, and far less repetitive vibration from and engine. I have seen that other manufacturers are offering longer warranties on motors and batteries, so there must be something good about them.

Toyota are now giving up to 15 years on batteries. I'm well aware that FEV cars should be more reliable than their ICE counterparts but at present servicing costs do not reflect that. In the marine sector electric propulsion was re-established many years ago when ship owners recognised that it reduce fuel costs and through life costs particularly for ships that had variable operating profiles. IE Cruise ship viz QE2 et al. Large VLCC did not benefit since most of those leave the port and cruise at a steady speed on their single engine and single shaft until arriving at the delivery port. Even massive container ships like the Ever green class only have a single engine, but it has a very high thermal efficiency so electrification of its propulsion wouldn't benefit. So if we think automotive is a challenge, it is just the beginning.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Amazing article Clive. So the Koreans are ahead of the rest of the world ? The pace of EV development is electrifying😉
Not really .I think Mr Tesla still leads but the rest are catching up very very rapidly. 8 year battery but of course can't beat Kia and their 7 year warranty on everything else. Be interesting to see what they want for a service because Tesla's don't require much at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts