Second Lockdown πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Am not being funny, but maybe I am, here but actually we really are as per Planet of the Apes a terrible scourge(virus?) affecting the planet and the place would be much better off without us. MMMm don't like where i am going there but many species that get too big for their boots (dinos) end up being wiped out in some way. LEt's hope we can get our act together and behave-sadly I don't think we will.
My testimony to human kind; never has so much harm been done, and so little been achieved by a species capable of so much .
Seeing how fed up my mum is and her little circle of widowers and widows I really feel cross about this second lockdown-you can still buy a car-ours is still coming-might be home delivered or click and collect, I can go get a takeaway tonight, I can go walk round the local golf club fields but cannot carry and use a stick and ball, yet my mum can have her cleaner in but not see me or her single friends, even in the garden. None of it is making sense in an area that was in tier 1. Surely harsher punishment of the covidiots in tier 3 would have been a better start but who am I to say.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What we are seeing here Prof has been studied for decades. Zoonosis. The transfer of disease between humans and animals. As you point out to transfer a virus has to mutate. What is of great concern is multi transference animal to man to animal to man etc. Each time the mutation may or not become a stronger strain. I agree this is cause for concern and probably casts more thought on the origin in Wuhan. Was it man or animal. Was it a Sars virus that mutated? Probably yes!
On balance I suspect the frequency of mutation between the two species won’t hurt us more than present . Fortunately I don’t know of any Mink, Pangolins near me.
Defo one to keep an eye on and worth following the Royal Veterinary College papers.

Mink are surprisingly common in the UK, but shy so rarely seen - released from fur farms by misguided animal rights campaigners, they're a major threat to native species like water voles - fortunately, the clean-up of British rivers has allowed otter numbers to build up and they won't tolerate mink on their territories.

I think we're safe from Pangolins though!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Oh and am really glad some hospital trusts are good; my father in law went in last week to ours, and the paramedics diagnosed a cough and temperature-and sent me for a test and to isolate. I got a test within 30mins of being told-amazing and had the results back at 8.30am the day after-negative as were his-but he was admitted to hospital at 3pm and hadn't a test while lying in a ward till 7pm and the results back 2 days later-something is seriously wrong there!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oh and am really glad some hospital trusts are good; my father in law went in last week to ours, and the paramedics diagnosed a cough and temperature-and sent me for a test and to isolate. I got a test within 30mins of being told-amazing and had the results back at 8.30am the day after-negative as were his-but he was admitted to hospital at 3pm and hadn't a test while lying in a ward till 7pm and the results back 2 days later-something is seriously wrong there!
I had to do a test in Aug and send off the results to a hospital in London. Two weeks later got the results. Had to do another Covid test early in Oct and got results 3 days later. Got to go for another test in 10 days time.
I would not wish the test on my worst enemy as it is really unpleasant have swabs stuck down your throat and then up your nose as far as they can go!

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don't see J Loughie's point in comparing the UK scheme to elsewhere as the circumstances surrounding each countries approach will be different rendering differnt solutions. You can only access your own countries scheme so there's no point in being jealous or superior.

Then let me help you.

It was the government minister who made the comparison (Not I) in retaliation of the chancellors new announcement.

I simply Googled their so called findings to check them.

Here I repeat my summary.
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
There is no consistent formulae so hard to make a comparison. And it is clear that a couple do support better than us. But we are very near the top of the table.

USA, have no grants, just loans, for example.

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

It actually agrees with you, there is no consistent formulae so hard to deduce a comparrison.

I only looked to examine the truth, or otherwise, of her comments. There is zero indication in my comment which indicate jealousy or superiority. But I would like to see that such comments that this MP made stood up to just a modicum of scrutiny. Without that we are descending further into the American method of politics.

Having said that, I see only good in making comparisons at all levels, with other countries. Thats how we can learn and improve.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Mink are surprisingly common in the UK, but shy so rarely seen - released from fur farms by misguided animal rights campaigners, they're a major threat to native species like water voles - fortunately, the clean-up of British rivers has allowed otter numbers to build up and they won't tolerate mink on their territories.

I think we're safe from Pangolins though!
Hi RogerL I would agree about mink are common in UK where i use to go fishing there was fresh tracks on the rocks of a pond in the early morning but so far i havent seen a Pangolins .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What we are seeing here Prof has been studied for decades. Zoonosis. The transfer of disease between humans and animals. As you point out to transfer a virus has to mutate. What is of great concern is multi transference animal to man to animal to man etc. Each time the mutation may or not become a stronger strain. I agree this is cause for concern and probably casts more thought on the origin in Wuhan. Was it man or animal. Was it a Sars virus that mutated? Probably yes!
On balance I suspect the frequency of mutation between the two species won’t hurt us more than present . Fortunately I don’t know of any Mink, Pangolins near me.
Defo one to keep an eye on and worth following the Royal Veterinary College papers.
How most viruses behave is of interest, and it may of course give some clues to how C19 might behave, but in this instance we are just concerned with C19, and it has jumped species, at least twice, and some of the evidence strongly suggests it has mutated and it has already developed some new characteristics that compromise our efforts on producing an effective vaccine. That makes it significantly more dangerous.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
How most viruses behave is of interest, and it may of course give some clues to how C19 might behave, but in this instance we are just concerned with C19, and it has jumped species, at least twice, and some of the evidence strongly suggests it has mutated and it has already developed some new characteristics that compromise our efforts on producing an effective vaccine. That makes it significantly more dangerous.
What we don’t know, the jury is still out, did C19 start with a human or animal? The rate of cross transfer is certainly of great concern. I doubt we will ever know. Was it truly Chinese in origin or like the Spanish flu which never started in SpainπŸ€”.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What we don’t know, the jury is still out, did C19 start with a human or animal? The rate of cross transfer is certainly of great concern. I doubt we will ever know. Was it truly Chinese in origin or like the Spanish flu which never started in SpainπŸ€”.
You are correct, the Spanish flue did not start in Spain.

I don't have the definitive answer except to point out, we know C19 is extremely transferable, and judging by the way it has spread world wide, very quickly, over just a couple of months, it seems very unlikely to have started and just trundled along at a low level for a number of months in Europe or any where other than the location where it demonstrated such a rapid rate of infection.

The first verified cases of C19 were found to have arisen in Wuhan province almost a year ago, followed by sudden increase in numbers in the same area. Tracking the initial world wide spread shows a distinct trend of all routes leading back to the area.

I know there are a few people who claim to have felt unwell with similar symptoms just before the outbreak in China, but its highly unlikely to have been C19 because those people did not suddenly find their contacts going down with symptoms, which if it had been C19 they would have done.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If I recall correctly the Spanish flu also originated in China towards the end of the first world war and was brought over by Chinese workers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If I recall correctly the Spanish flu also originated in China towards the end of the first world war and was brought over by Chinese workers.
It’s not categorically clear where it first originated, although the first noticeable outbreaks were in a Kansas military camp. Then US soldiers are thought to have brought it to Europe, and then returning soldiers are thought to be likely to be responsible for a second US wave.

Stanford university paper

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Ha America; not only are they-oops Sflu came form there too perhaps!MMM Russia and China are looking more attractive all the time!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s not categorically clear where it first originated, although the first noticeable outbreaks were in a Kansas military camp. Then US soldiers are thought to have brought it to Europe, and then returning soldiers are thought to be likely to be responsible for a second US wave.
Stanford university paper
Correct as in thsoe days they did not have the expertise to narrow down exactly where it originated. Chinese workers around the camp possibily?
I am sure that on the other Covid 19 thread that has now bene closed there was a link to the information.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In respect of the present pandemic and how we handle it, I don't think it is particular relevant to debate the source, as regardless of where it came from does not change the fact we have got it, and we need to learn how to manage it here and now.

From a medical perspective, our primary action is to try to prevent new infections, initially isolation is the most effective process, but that has practical difficulties, and as long as there is some route for the virus to survive, it will flare up again once isolations are downgraded.
Second tier is to develop a vaccination, and treatment strategies that render infection less serious. Third tier is to look for means of eliminating the virus in the environment so it can't infect.

From a pragmatic perspective there should be enquiries to establish the source and if possible to do something to make it less likely to happen again, but equally we should look to see if our responses were good enough. There will be lessons to be learnt in all countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneS
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to Unredacted, the technical evidence freely available to all, says a full Lockdown was unnecessary. In fact the rates of R values have remained the same for the last two weeks and in non City areas is reducing. Hence why BoJo was holding back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
According to Unredacted, the technical evidence freely available to all, says a full Lockdown was unnecessary. In fact the rates of R values have remained the same for the last two weeks and in non City areas is reducing. Hence why BoJo was holding back.
As you don't give a quote or reference to the evidence, its difficult to verify or validate your statement. Give any two experts the same information, and they are likely to disagree abut details or teh best course of action. Who is to say "Unredacted" is right and the Gov't was wrong?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As you don't give a quote or reference to the evidence, its difficult to verify or validate your statement. Give any two experts the same information, and they are likely to disagree abut details or teh best course of action. Who is to say "Unredacted" is right and the Gov't was wrong?

The government have today admitted they showed the wrong figures in their slides and have corrected them. But they also said that i would make no difference to the current decision.

This may be what 'unredacted ' are referring to.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even the UK Chief Statistician said this week the figures that HMG used were two weeks old and mire up to date ones were available. Plus the curves used as the basis of the decision showed some extreme figures that were statistically unsound.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Sir Simon Stevens (NHS CEO) used this single slide in the press conference yesterday. Avoiding controversy and for clarity (regardless of the figures used by others previously) this is enough to say to me that to protect our NHS, and all of the wonderful, selfless people who form it, to try to preserve as much as possible the treatment of non C-19 conditions. as a bare minimum this current lock-down is vital.

Sir Simon Stevens 05.11.2020.jpg

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had to edit or delete comments on this thread which refer to the U.S. Presidential election.
The remarks were of no great consequence to us, but forum guidelines specifically prohibit references to the US election. (see extract below)
This website is owned and administered by a U.S. based international organisation with many U.S. citizens who are employed by the parent company in the United States.
Please refrain from such references to respect the wishes of forum admin and to avoid comment deletion

Do not discuss the upcoming US elections in our forums, regardless of the context. If a published article discusses an issue that involves politicians, such as new regulations, you’re free to discuss that as it would be considered relevant and on-topic.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts