Second Lockdown 😥😥😥😥😥😥😥

Page 19 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi Clive ref your question:
"Puzzled as to why you want to know why there are the restrictions? "
Just to clarify, I certainly don't, I've been feeling restrictions should be stronger for some time, that the previously proposed Christmas relaxation level was ridiculous and that everything possible should be done to limit the spread: I am fearful of the virus and it's devistating effects. My querie does not relate to personal circunstance either - I'm aware of the potential of second home owners and also of others who have already travelled away and I can understand the desire to minimise their own risk levels for themselves and their families, but at the risk of sounding to be a NIMBY this concerns me. Its a silent disease for many who can still spread it.
Your meet at the M4 services was sensible and I really hope provided a very special albeit short experience for you each,(y)
Wayne

ps- sorry missed your last question - we live in Cornwall

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Met my daughter , SiL and grandson on my drive this morning. It was like swapping prisoners at Check Point Charlie. 2mtrs apart. No contact. Did talk for twenty minutes.
They have worked from home for. Out of this year and are paranoid about catching C19.
The fact remains clear to me. Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it can’t see you😥
Roll on the 💉💉💉💉💉

Reactions: Parksy and Beehpee
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Where we live I’m fortunate that we have stayed in tier 2, my only reason I’m glad we have stayed in 2 is because to stay in it, means in our immediate location has lower infection rates, lower rates mean lower chance for people nearby of catching the virus, we had made our plans almost 2 weeks ago as to what we would do, we decided that we would stay at home and it would be just the 2 of us, this is going to be our first in 46 years of being married that we have either had people here or we’ve been somewhere, not an easy decision and not one that’s been forced on us, we made the decision to stay at home to give us the best chance of living to enjoy many more Christmas celebrations, we have also decided for the same reason not to go away in the caravan on the 30th for 5 nights, it’s still allowed where we were going as tier 2 for us and the campsite, I’d estimate our risk would be pretty much none existing but again we want lots of years to enjoy our new van so better safe than sorry, I haven’t contacted the camp yet but I’m hoping we can transfer our deposit but if not so what, none of this is the fault of Boris, I’m no big fan of either major political party, what ever decision was made would be wrong, after the crisis is all over the next 12 months will be arguments about who was at fault.
Best of luck to everyone what ever tier your in, make your decision yourself rather than just going along with what your told, don’t break the rules but just because Boris says you can do it doesn’t mean it’s safe.

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Met my daughter , SiL and grandson on my drive this morning. It was like swapping prisoners at Check Point Charlie. 2mtrs apart. No contact. Did talk for twenty minutes.
They have worked from home for. Out of this year and are paranoid about catching C19.
The fact remains clear to me. Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it can’t see you😥
Roll on the 💉💉💉💉💉
We did exactly the same thing today and I stayed in vehicle while OH dropped off presents. OH wore a mask through out the transaction. Why take the chance especially as grandkids go to school?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife met our son in Tesco carpark at 2pm both sat in cars with there window down he put presents on a long pole and passed it through and same back both with there masks on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Points I'd like clarification on, if anyone can advise please: I've googled but not been able to find out: Understanding the rules from yesterday tier 4 / national Christmas restrictions, travel, overnighters etc and the reasons behind - particularly the need to do all possible limit the wider spread of the much more transmittable covid strain:
- If people had travelled from London / Surrey etc or from Wales before midnight yesterday to another part of the country does the law say they must now go back home?
- If a week ago they'd made that journey eg to Cornwall for a long Christmas break - understanding the requirement to obbey the rules of their own home tier (which at that time was 2) must they now go back home?
Thanks for your thoughts all, please stay well.
Wayne
In reality asking for this sort of advice from a forum is ill advised. What if the advice you receive is wrong and you follow it and are challenged about it? There are grey areas and as Colin points out teh advice has to be rather general, and cannot necessarily be tailored to specific circumstances.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A tier 2 does mean there is a lower rate of infection, and that only means there are fewer opportunities of catching the virus.

It does nothing to lessen your personal ability to catch the virus if you happen to be exposed to it.

And the recent discovery of the new strain (According to my son-in-law who is a GP) of C19 seems to have a 70% stronger transmission factor than the original infection.

Even with the newly formed Tier 4 restrictions coming into force, it a bit like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Due to the long incubation period of C19, heaven only knows how many people have been infected and not yet shown symptoms whilst visiting London & the SE and have carried the new strain back to other parts of the UK before the Tier 4 was introduced.

I predict we will see pockets of the new strain becoming prevalent around the country, as the virus incubates and spreads.

It seems the new strain does not rely on water droplets for its major form of transmission like teh original. The new strain seems to be carried in aerosol form and will spread more like smoke exhalation. Just think about how you can often tell if the person walking several meters in front of you is smoking by the smell you can detect.

There are early signs the vaccines do provide similar inoculation capability to both old and new strains. The evidence base for this will grow over the next month or so.

Do do everything to keep as safe as possible.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A tier 2 does mean there is a lower rate of infection, and that only means there are fewer opportunities of catching the virus.

It does nothing to lessen your personal ability to catch the virus if you happen to be exposed to it.

And the recent discovery of the new strain (According to my son-in-law who is a GP) of C19 seems to have a 70% stronger transmission factor than the original infection.

Even with the newly formed Tier 4 restrictions coming into force, it a bit like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Due to the long incubation period of C19, heaven only knows how many people have been infected and not yet shown symptoms whilst visiting London & the SE and have carried the new strain back to other parts of the UK before the Tier 4 was introduced.

I predict we will see pockets of the new strain becoming prevalent around the country, as the virus incubates and spreads.

It seems the new strain does not rely on water droplets for its major form of transmission like teh original. The new strain seems to be carried in aerosol form and will spread more like smoke exhalation. Just think about how you can often tell if the person walking several meters in front of you is smoking by the smell you can detect.

There are early signs the vaccines do provide similar inoculation capability to both old and new strains. The evidence base for this will grow over the next month or so.

Do do everything to keep as safe as possible.
Prof
the new strain has been detected in most areas of Wales already. Bridgend has a case rate of 1000 although no figures published to show ratio of old v new strain. It is already in a lot of areas but not as widespread as London and the SE. Prof W has confirmed it in Yorkshire and Humberside.

Just looking at Coventry and Leicester both Tier 3 areas rates have been rising despite the Tier 3 status. So it could be that people are lax, it could be that Tier 3 doesn’t clamp down on the virus or reduce its spread or it could be mutant virus. Now I’m a marine engineer not an epidemiologist, but I’d say the rise in rates is due to a combination of all of the above.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This new strain seems to spreading very quickly in alot of areas in Wales but not like London and Yorkshire and Humberside i am now not allowed out been told to stay in and keep safe

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So here we go. The French have shut the Channel Tunnel, allegedly to stop U.K. Covid 19 reaching them🤬. Does the virus recognise nationality 🤔.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some countries including Ireland, Italy, Begium, and the Netherlands have banned flights from UK to prevent the spread of this new strain Covid

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Sorry yes Damian totally correct seems mad and they weren't safe in shops! I need to keep up with the tier rules!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
So here we go. The French have shut the Channel Tunnel, allegedly to stop U.K. Covid 19 reaching them🤬. Does the virus recognise nationality 🤔.

IMO more likely the new variant has spread to the Southeast from the continent!

The UK are the world leaders in genome sequencing making us the first to identify and publicize this new danger.
We have several major international airports and seaports, here in the southeast, which have allowed the free movement of passengers and drivers.
There are 10000 HGV drivers a day entering the country from Europe alone, that are completely necessary, but nevertheless may bring in the virus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We are in Tier4 now and I do not think it is going to work. For us our trip to see our son once a year is off but we can live with that but. The traffic going by us Sunday morning was ridicules , where are they all going and those motorbike youngsters roaring up and down , the local shop was closed, words fail me.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The problem with all the fresh produce stacking up at Calais is loads of it will already have been bought and paid for and if so won’t it be the purchasers who are gonna be the losers, hopefully it won’t be, I’m pretty ignorant on importing and exporting but that’s how it looks to me, fingers crossed it’s not our traders losing yet more money.
BP

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Artics can still travel. But will take a bit of rethinking and cooperation and organisation between UK and European operators. Logistics I think it’s called. I have no idea what proportion this might represent.

Has anyone seen how fast those 3 wheel tractor units get trailers on and off ferries.

The tunnel will be difficult though. Unless they let drivers as far as the terminal and execute a transfer there.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here in Leicester the M1 Forest East services the hgvs are queuing to park up but the car park is relatively free with folks swopping Xmas gifts. The overhead gantries had signs saying “travel to France closed, go home.”

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....the local TV news keeps us here in the southeast better informed than most of the UK about all things France and has done for years.
We have had reports of queuing HGVs at Dover and Folkestone for several days due to volumes of traffic.
We are told that HGVs and their drivers are able to be ferried to the UK at the moment.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Amongst all the doom and gloom!

After the announcement, I am sorry but this Christmas there is no way that I am not seeing family and friends. You can do what you like, but I will be seeing them.
So, on Christmas Day, the following family will be at the table......
Auntie Stella & Uncle Jameson, with cousin Bailey, Malibu & Smirnoff, & the twins Gin & Tonic,
Scottish cousins Johnny Walker and Glen Moray, & from across the pond, bringing some old fashioned southern comfort with them my old cousins, Jack Daniels and Jim Beam,
My French mate Remy Martin & his friend Pernod, my Spanish mate Jose Cuevro & his cousin Martini, & Bianco, & her daughter Tequila, my Greek friends Ouzo & Sambuca,
My friends Brandy, Fosters, Carlsberg & Correta.
My Neighbours Captain Morgan & the Grants, the Bells, & the Cointreau's, & the Henneseys. Their dog Coors & cat Mr Ice.
Dunno about Mr Guinness yet....
MERRY CHRISTMAS....
🤣
🤣
🤣

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts