Should I get a caravan moisture meter?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I must have missed something. Whilst I look at me seals I have never visually seen a failed one. It is so hard to examine every screw on the awning rails etc never mind the hidden joints by the floor and behind the wheels windows and roof straps,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I must have missed something. Whilst I look at me seals I have never visually seen a failed one. It is so hard to examine every screw on the awning rails etc never mind the hidden joints by the floor and behind the wheels windows and roof straps,
Actually it does seem that not even the technician needs a damp meter. :ROFLMAO:

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

it’s basic maintenance, anyone who’s owned a boat will understand and can explain it to you..
after all, a moisture meter is not really going to work on a boat, you need to visually inspect potential water ingress points.

failing sealant is very obvious - just look for a crack in its surface or it lifting away from the substrate it’s sealing.
Seaks - they shrink, perish and crack, also obvious with a visual inspection.

so what make of caravan do you have that leaked in all the points you mentioned?
it would be useful to know so I can avoid such a poorly sealed brand!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not all of us can afford a non invasive moisture meter like the Protimeter. Using one with probes may leave indents al around the caravan.

This is why I suggested the Dr Meter. Similar results to the Protimeter, (though not verified the same), and both pinless and pinned in the same meter, All for around £20.

John

Reactions: Hutch and DaveA1
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a quick go around of the corners of the caravan, and other prominante points with a damp meter, every three month will help you know if you have a small pinprik leak in joins etc. That are hard to see.

Buckman you don't go sticking the pinned type in visably obvious areas, around windows, just lift the seals slightly. Doors are the same.
Around toilets on the floor , anywhere that the carpets cover.

The final use is down to the owner, I can hardly see where I check my caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just a quick go around of the corners of the caravan, and other prominent points with a damp meter, every three month will help you know if you have a small pinprick leak in joins etc. That are hard to see.

Buckman you don't go sticking the pinned type in visibly obvious areas, around windows, just lift the seals slightly. Doors are the same.
Around toilets on the floor , anywhere that the carpets cover.

The final use is down to the owner, I can hardly see where I check my caravan.

I appreciate and understand that however soem may not be aware of that point, but in our case with the crack you would have no alternative as it is not around an internal seam. It is an exception.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts