Smart watches - Why?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
As part of my on going collection of free junk from Amazon I've just managed to get a Smart Watch. For ladies but only by virtue of the stereotypical fondness for things Pink.

I love gadgets but they have to have a practicality about them rather than just have because its cool. Its not an expensive watch - about £50 and it connects to my phone and does things like show I'm still living (heart rate, SpO2 etc) and how long I've spent as a couch potato. Supposedly I did 177 steps just standing kneading the bread dough yesterday.

Gets notifications when I get a message or email. Haven't quite figured out about getting and receiving telephone calls or playing music.

The most exciting thing is all the different clock faces I can have. So day 2 and I can't really see how its going to improve my life.

Are they really worth it? Not for me.

Your thoughts on a post card please because the watch might not show me your replies :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My normal watch has lasted longer than the so called smart watch ever will, never needs batteries and is not cheap plastic that will be dumped eventually. These things seems to do nothing I cannot do with my mobile that is any use to me, so would just duplicate the phone.
At about £50 I cannot see that the quality will be there as it is too cheap to me.
They seem to be yet another thing we never needed but helps push up the makers profits.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As part of my on going collection of free junk from Amazon I've just managed to get a Smart Watch. For ladies but only by virtue of the stereotypical fondness for things Pink.

I love gadgets but they have to have a practicality about them rather than just have because its cool. Its not an expensive watch - about £50 and it connects to my phone and does things like show I'm still living (heart rate, SpO2 etc) and how long I've spent as a couch potato. Supposedly I did 177 steps just standing kneading the bread dough yesterday.

Gets notifications when I get a message or email. Haven't quite figured out about getting and receiving telephone calls or playing music.

The most exciting thing is all the different clock faces I can have. So day 2 and I can't really see how its going to improve my life.

Are they really worth it? Not for me.

Your thoughts on a post card please because the watch might not show me your replies :)
The need to keep charging them is a big NoNo for me. i like my self charging Seiko, a battery Cabot watch for swimming, but best are my two Timex Indiglo which enable me to illuminate a path in unfamiliar accommodations, or if camping.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
A solution looking for a problem to fix??

Having said that Mrs P has one, mostly to record her steps, Me? I have a "proper" watch, it tells the time!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I do have a good one, Fitbit Sence, but I have to agree that they are a bit gimmicky. I use mine to record steps. And record my sleep patterns. It will do blood oxygen, pulse EDA and ECG scans. OK, when I remember. There are lots of sports/workout routines which might be good if I was that way inclined.

It has calendars and reminders.

I can, (but don't), answer the phone on it, but it's handy to let me know the phone is ringing, somewhere.

I watch my children and grandchildren who use them almost intuitively.

Oh, It also tells the time!

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My kids and grandkids age range 52-18 dont have them and do not seem inclined to want a smart watch. Perhaps it’s the flow down from the DNA passed down from my wife and I.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
The wife bought one after few months gave up on it as had to push button to display time and then it was to dim in bright sunlight. Failed as a WATCH. Did confirm what body was telling her in regards to a bad or good nights sleep. Have recharge it every other day was pain.

One place I've seen them to be useful was MTBing, easy way to quickly read a txt and acknowledge it in middle of a ride.

I've not worn watch for years as I've phone, clock in car or wife who now has old school watch.

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
I'm on my second one and love it

I can pay for things with it, check notifications without getting my phone out, listen to Spotify or BBC Sounds etc. One of the biggest advantages for me is not needing to take my phone out with me ( esp in the summer when wearing shorts)... I can make / receive calls, send / receive texts from the watch. It can be easily read in bright sunlight

Each to their own. I do love a gadget tho

Reactions: Kenno
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I don't think a smart watch would be for me, but I know people who have then and love them.

I've got a nice "ordinary" watch which Mrs Gozza gave me for my birthday when we were first together: I stopped wearing it at the start of Covid when we were washing hands thirty or forty times a day, I was frightened I'd take it off to wash and forget to put it back on. I started wearing it again the middle of last year, then in October I tripped and faceplanted and broke the strap: It has a new strap now and I need to get it shortened so I can actually start wearing it again!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think a smart watch would be for me, but I know people who have then and love them.

I've got a nice "ordinary" watch which Mrs Gozza gave me for my birthday when we were first together: I stopped wearing it at the start of Covid when we were washing hands thirty or forty times a day, I was frightened I'd take it off to wash and forget to put it back on. I started wearing it again the middle of last year, then in October I tripped and faceplanted and broke the strap: It has a new strap now and I need to get it shortened so I can actually start wearing it again!
I still have a nice Rotary that my wife gave me for my 21st. I don’t wear it now as it really could do with a service as it tends to stop before requiring to be wound up again. But it’s something that I will always cherish.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all your thoughts. I guess I'm not really surprised at the comments since we're all of a similar generation and where we have time on our hands but don't need it on our wrists.

I have a Tissot T-Touch which I use when I need to, which is less and less these days. In fact even while working I seldom had cause to look at it as I was usually surrounded by machines that told me when I had to do things. It was useful when travelling though and despite my earlier comments about just having something because it was 'cool' I liked wearing it as a bit of a statement.

My journey with the Smertwatch continues and at £50 its not bad. The display is clear but I'd question its accuracy at some of the metrics. It obviously lacks some functions found on the more expensive models - but pays your money etc.

Like a good many things these days there are no instructions and not overly intuitive at times. I'll see how my wife gets on with it but I can see it being back in the box and awaiting someones birthday.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I still have a nice Rotary that my wife gave me for my 21st. I don’t wear it now as it really could do with a service as it tends to stop before requiring to be wound up again. But it’s something that I will always cherish.
When we inquired about a service on OH's Rotary, the cost was not far off the cost of the watch brand new. I have a very expensive watch that I inherited from my Dad a few years ago and a service on it starts at about £165 however the watch is worth a lot more.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we inquired about a service on OH's Rotary, the cost was not far off the cost of the watch brand new. I have a very expensive watch that I inherited from my Dad a few years ago and a service on it starts at about £165 however the watch is worth a lot more.
I would not put a price on what the Rotary means to me. My self charging Seiko sets me back well over £100 for a service and new battery by Seiko but again that has an emotional link as being bought for me by my daughter. I’ve yet to have my CWC serviced but it’s time may be coming soon as it it now over 6 years since I had it, and that was quite expensive. Seems like watches are akin to caravan money pits 😂

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I look at expencive watches in jewellery shops, most appear heavy, over the top and ugly to my mind. But people are paying thousands for them.

I prefer simplicity. But would only bother if I needed to get dressed up.

I fully understand the sentimental aspect. My father treeted himself to a very nice watch in the late 60’s. My eldest brother inherited it and when he reached his mid 70’s he passed it to the eldest grandson, who is my son. My son is keen to look after it and started by getting it professionally serviced. I don’t think he wears it though, even on special occasions. It would be nice if it did come out occasionally.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I look at expencive watches in jewellery shops, most appear heavy, over the top and ugly to my mind. But people are paying thousands for them.

I prefer simplicity. But would only bother if I needed to get dressed up.

I fully understand the sentimental aspect. My father treeted himself to a very nice watch in the late 60’s. My eldest brother inherited it and when he reached his mid 70’s he passed it to the eldest grandson, who is my son. My son is keen to look after it and started by getting it professionally serviced. I don’t think he wears it though, even on special occasions. It would be nice if it did come out occasionally.

John
Did the same with my fathers Seiko self winding and passed it to my son. He does wear it occasionally and being self winding mechanical there’s no battery to go flat or have a lifetime.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Years ago my sister had an Oris watch. Nothing fancy, wind it every morning job.
She was out playing and lost it.
Following spring our dad was out trimming back the road hedge with a hook when he heard the blade strike something in the hedge.
Rummaged around and found the watch which now had a mark on the glass where the hook had caught it.
Wiped it off and without much hope decided to try winding it up.
Total amazement, after the best part of 12 months lost in a hedge it went straight away and continued to do so for several years afterwards.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My cheapy free one has a Find My Watch feature but given that most smartwatches are connected to the phone via Bluetooth the range isn't going to be that great.

This is day 3 or 4 of playing with it - time flies doesn't it :) For a basic watch its not bad and I think I've tamed it now and passed it on to my wife to see what she thinks. Still wouldn't buy one though.

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Our wealthy property developer friends (proud Tuggers), have Omegas and Rolexes. The Omega costs £400 a year just to get serviced and the Rolex stays in a safe!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts